Mini RTW Questions

Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:56 am
  #2266  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,437
Originally Posted by jerryhung
would someone be kind enough to validate if below is over MPM for me? seems way over at 22K miles


Thanks
This is an Asia-Europe itinerary.
The MPMs you are looking for are PVG-MUC, and then the AP one for ZRH-PVG.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:01 am
  #2267  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by jerryhung
would someone be kind enough to validate if below is over MPM for me? seems way over at 22K miles

Aeroplan Mini-RTW in J (125K before 1/1/2014) for 2 adults for Sept-Oct 2014

ex-PVG either PVG-NRT-IST-MUC/ZRH on NH/TK 77W, or otherwise PVG-PEK-CDG-MUC/ZRH on Air China 77W
(stop #1 is visiting MUC or ZRH, can arrive/leave from either)

TATL: either ZRH-IST-JFK-YYZ on TK 77W, or ZRH-BOS-YYZ on LX A333

YYZ-TPE BR, stop #2
TPE-PVG BR


http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=pvg-nrt...&MP=rect&DU=mi


Thanks
Actually your GCMap is incorrect. The correct breakdown is:

* pvg-nrt-ist-muc-zrh-ist-jfk-yyz, yyz-tpe-pvg

Which is not legal because you're hitting IST twice. A legal routing would be:

pvg-nrt-ist-muc-zrh-yul-yyz, yyz-tpe-pvg

Which would be legal.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:02 am
  #2268  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is an Asia-Europe itinerary.
The MPMs you are looking for are PVG-MUC, and then the AP one for ZRH-PVG.
It seems like Asia - North America to me because of the final stop in YYZ (I assume there is a stop in YYZ).
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:29 am
  #2269  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
My bad, yes there is a stop in YYZ, for my brother in PVG

so in short, a full Mini-RTW from Asia 1 to Europe to Canada to Asia 1
PVG-*-MUC/ZRH, stop #1/open-jaw
ZRH-*-YYZ, destination
YYZ-TPE, stop #2
TPE-PVG

and looks like it should be okay, as long as he doesn't stop in IST twice? I changed below to ZRH-BOS-YYZ instead of via IST

pvg-nrt-ist-muc,zrh-bos-yyz,yyz-tpe-tpe,tpe-pvg
3 segment path: 7699 mi
PVG (3108'36"N 12148'19"E) NRT (3545'55"N 14023'08"E) 68.5 (E) 1118 mi
NRT (3545'55"N 14023'08"E) IST (4058'34"N 2848'50"E) 314.7 (NW) 5603 mi
IST (4058'34"N 2848'50"E) MUC (4821'14"N 1147'10"E) 307.1 (NW) 978 mi

2 segment path: 4191 mi
ZRH (4727'53"N 832'57"E) BOS (4221'47"N 7100'23"W) 296.2 (NW) 3745 mi
BOS (4221'47"N 7100'23"W) YYZ (4340'38"N 7937'50"W) 284.7 (W) 446 mi

2 segment path: 7519 mi
YYZ (4340'38"N 7937'50"W) TPE (2504'40"N 12113'58"E) 340.1 (N) 7519 mi
TPE (2504'40"N 12113'58"E) TPE (2504'40"N 12113'58"E) 0.0 (N) 0 mi

TPE (2504'40"N 12113'58"E) PVG (3108'36"N 12148'19"E) 4.7 (N) 419 mi

Total: 19828 mi
jerryhung is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:49 am
  #2270  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,437
Originally Posted by jerryhung
My bad, yes there is a stop in YYZ, for my brother in PVG

so in short, a full Mini-RTW from Asia 1 to Europe to Canada to Asia 1
PVG-*-MUC/ZRH, stop #1/open-jaw
ZRH-*-YYZ, destination
YYZ-TPE, stop #2
TPE-PVG
You cannot open jaw/surface segment in the middle of an itinerary with AE, no?
rankourabu is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:19 am
  #2271  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You cannot open jaw/surface segment in the middle of an itinerary with AE, no?
can't open jaw - but just fly MUC-ZRH. He's within his stops.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:37 pm
  #2272  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,437
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
can't open jaw - but just fly MUC-ZRH. He's within his stops.
Yeah that was my initial point why it wouldnt work, YYZ is the furthest, but he has an open jaw in the middle of the itinerary.

Cannot do PVG-MUC and then pick it up as ZRH-YYZ.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:48 pm
  #2273  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Thanks, I'm amazed at how naturally you guys pick up the "errors/exceptions" in the routing

Mnn, I thought it's Destination (YYZ) + 2 stop-overs (ZRH, TPE), or a stopover (TPE) and an open jaw (MUC-ZRH)?
or I probably misunderstood the "open-jaw" definition :P

It's not an issue since he can just do either MUC or ZRH
jerryhung is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:55 pm
  #2274  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Thanks, I'm amazed at how naturally you guys pick up the "errors/exceptions" in the routing

Mnn, I thought it's Destination (YYZ) + 2 stop-overs (ZRH, TPE), or a stopover (TPE) and an open jaw (MUC-ZRH)?
or I probably misunderstood the "open-jaw" definition :P

It's not an issue since he can just do either MUC or ZRH
Open-jaw can be at destination or origin - not en route, that's the only tricky part.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:57 pm
  #2275  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Posts: 1,839
To have a stopover for a few days or weeks makes sense but what are the benefits to stop at many places for less than 24h?
Cana2013 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:14 pm
  #2276  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,437
Originally Posted by Cana2013
To have a stopover for a few days or weeks makes sense but what are the benefits to stop at many places for less than 24h?
There are. I have scheduled some before. Gives a chance to catch up with a friend en route, have dinner, etc or maybe see that ONE attraction one wants to visit. I know someone who just did 13 hrs in Cairo to see the pyramids. No desire to stay in Cairo longer, so it worked out perfect for her.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 pm
  #2277  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by Cana2013
To have a stopover for a few days or weeks makes sense but what are the benefits to stop at many places for less than 24h?
Some cities are not worth visiting for more than a day, but definitely worth visiting for a day. I wouldn't caterpillar around Europe unless I had unliimted time, but it can definitely be fun in some situations, especially since your bags carry to the destination, so no need to carry them.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:21 pm
  #2278  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by Cana2013
To have a stopover for a few days or weeks makes sense but what are the benefits to stop at many places for less than 24h?
To see DXB without paying Middle East points
xray is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:31 pm
  #2279  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,357
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
..... especially since your bags carry to the destination, so no need to carry them.
You mean to a stop or "destination". And what happens on an overnight stops, does one need to pick these up or are they checked in to the next stop?
1Newflyer is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:33 pm
  #2280  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,437
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You mean to a stop or "destination". And what happens on an overnight stops, does one need to pick these up or are they checked in to the next stop?
Varies by airport/country/etc. Not a one size fits all rule.
For example, they wont keep your bags overnight in the USA.
rankourabu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.