Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tng11
SQ actually has decent availability AKL-SIN.

NZ also has good availability AKL-NRT and AKL-PVG. Forget about availability to North America.

AKL seems to be a whole different game than SYD. For instance, I've punched YYZ-DME-SYD on the online engine and it gives me a valid result, but if I try routing to AKL via Europe, I'm told it can't be booked on one reward.
Not sure about via BKK, via Europe/SIN to AKL is a no go. In that case the point of turnaround, used for MPM calculations is SIN, not AKL, and there are no routing rules getting you from SIN back to North American via AKL. You need a stop in Australia to make it work.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:47 pm

Just looked up the MPM for AKL via the Pacific: 10424. Wow - that's incredibly stingy! There's no MPM available via Europe unlike SYD.

Looks like you'll have to follow a published routing - all of which involve the West Coast. There's also a SQ one, via SFO/LAX, HKG/NRT, SIN.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Sure - but was that done as a co-terminal or as an open jaw? If your father was within the stopover/open jaw rules they may have just treated this as an OJ.
Destination of that trip was OKJ, so this was on the way back. Normally, they do not allow open jaws at anything other than destination. There was a stop in VKO for more than 24 hours, and the onwards departure was from DME. Per their own rules, if this was not a co-terminal, this would not have been allowed, as this would have counted as an open jaw.

Tried calling in again to complain - again no dice. I was told by the supervisor that VKO and DME are ABSOLUTELY NOT co-terminals and that I have no recourse to complain because that's the way it is
This is absolutely bizarre. They need a geography lesson. Wth.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:03 am

Just looked up the MPM for AKL via the Pacific: 10424. Wow - that's incredibly stingy! There's no MPM available via Europe unlike SYD.

Looks like you'll have to follow a published routing - all of which involve the West Coast. There's also a SQ one, via SFO/LAX, HKG/NRT, SIN.
You will have a hard time with AKL unless you can go through BKK or SIN and like to travel in Y. And good luck finding published SQ in J from the west coast to SIN on AE. Go to SYD or MEL and tag on the flights across the Tasman. That gives you much more freedom. HNL and RAR are basically impossible from west coast.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Destination of that trip was OKJ, so this was on the way back. Normally, they do not allow open jaws at anything other than destination. There was a stop in VKO for more than 24 hours, and the onwards departure was from DME. Per their own rules, if this was not a co-terminal, this would not have been allowed, as this would have counted as an open jaw.
This is absolutely bizarre. They need a geography lesson. Wth.
Could it be that not many have done this? LH and TK fly to VKO so this doesn't make sense except for the possibility that they have not come across this scenario sufficiently to write it up in their manuals.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:22 am

I am trying to plan a trip on J for next summer to Europe from YUL. I would like to head to Vienna, paris nice and maybe croatia. I am travelling from YUL. Can anyone help with routing. I know i can only have 2 stops so i was thinking of stopping in croatia and nice and then doing a side trip to paris? Alsoprefabbly not on AC metal

Thanks

Alex
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:24 am

Ok so lets say one will not execute the Mini RTW; but instead go for a longer path; I imagine going TATL on both legs is allowed?

If so; what options would I have to complete this;

YOW-YUL-ZRH(S)-SIN-MEL(D)-ASIA(S)-EUROPE-YOW

Does anyone think that something such as

MEL-AKL(lol)-NRT-IST(?)-YYZ-YOW would work?

Other ideas?

What is the MPM5 for yow-mel?

How much (if any) backtracking is allowed?

Is it absolutely imperative to connect via SIN on the return as well for it to be a published routing?

I was also looking at doing a ZRH-LON on a separate ticket to avoid the passenger levies and YQ...

I did not want to start stacking extra tickets everywhere and have something go wrong and be screwed out of vacation time or paid tickets.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by BMGfan
Quick question, lets say I book two award tix on a flight, one in economy and one in biz as part of a larger biz class mini-rtw. I'm fairly confident that a second biz class seat will open up because I've been watching award space patterns for the last weeks. Can I change the economy spot to biz without paying the $90? I know the scamcharges will go up for sure, but will I have to pay the change fee?
Just wondering if this is possible, or if I'll pay the $90? Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
Could it be that not many have done this? LH and TK fly to VKO so this doesn't make sense except for the possibility that they have not come across this scenario sufficiently to write it up in their manuals.
This is possible. However, SVO is pretty widely served... So I'm surprised they've never see anyone arrive into SCO and depart DME. Or maybe they have, and maybe those work fine as co-terminals? That'd be even more comical.

Originally Posted by BMGfan
Just wondering if this is possible, or if I'll pay the $90? Thanks
If it's JUST a cabin switch, no fees incurred.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:53 am

Excellent thanks
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
This is possible. However, SVO is pretty widely served... So I'm surprised they've never see anyone arrive into SCO and depart DME. Or maybe they have, and maybe those work fine as co-terminals? That'd be even more comical.

SVO, DME and VKO are in fact co-terminals as far as I know -- they all fall under IATA metropolitan area code MOW (http://wikitravel.org/en/Metropolita..._Airport_Codes)

Last edited by arcticbull; Sep 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull
SVO, DME and VKO are in fact co-terminals as far as I know -- they all fall under IATA city code MOW (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...n_airport_code)
Yep, that's what I was saying too. But it seems Aeroplan agents are ... confused, so to say. :P
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
however, scamcharges and taxes get recalculated, no?

And neither of those two things ever go down unless its currency exchange
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
however, scamcharges and taxes get recalculated, no?

And neither of those two things ever go down unless its currency exchange
This one is tricky. Officially, they do, and the ticket does get re-issued. But in my experience, I have never been charged anything for the upgrade.

Of course, that said, it's not like I would complain if I were, because at that moment, you're just euphoric you got a business seat. But I'm just sayin'.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:23 pm

This one is tricky. Officially, they do, and the ticket does get re-issued. But in my experience, I have never been charged anything for the upgrade.

Of course, that said, it's not like I would complain if I were, because at that moment, you're just euphoric you got a business seat. But I'm just sayin'.
I've read around that if the change is made after travel has started, YQ is not recalculated? Does that still hold true?

LH F for FRA-YYZ would open up only after I've started travel - and the YQ difference between Y/F is $200+ so it'd be nice to save that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.