Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its not an AC MPM - MPM is set internationally (by IATA?)

here is an example for YYZ-UFA (interestingly you could route it via Pacific!)

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: YYZ-UFA]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      AT    6474    6797    7121    7445    7768    8092     
MPM      PA   11163   11721   12279   12837   13395   13953
The problem is that AE uses a very restrictive MPM5M, while others such as US used 25M, and others none at all. I am not aware for any other ffp using such restrictive MPM for rewards as AE does.
But to be fair, isn't Aeroplan the most lenient with stopovers? US, as far as I know, only allows one stopover in addition to the destination?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:13 pm

Booked itinerary

Hi guys,

I just got off the phone with the AA and I was able to book my flight. Here is what I was able to get.

YYZ-LAX (AC)
LAX-AKL (NZ)- Stop
AKL- MEL (NZ)- Destination/Turnaround
MEL-PVG (CA)- less than 24hr stop
PVG-NRT (CA) - Stop
NRT-YYZ (AC)-home

Total with fees came to 661.56

The charges were high because of the return direct from NRT to YYZ, but I was ok with it as now I can go on this trip. And there are less bad connections then my previous attempt. Was trying to use UA to cut the costs, but no availability and more connections.

GL
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: AC*100K MM, lifetime Titanium Elite
Mini RTW Korea/Vietnam/cambodia/Egypt ex. YVR

Greetings,

I'm working on a trip for 2 in J to occur over a 3 week timeframe late this year departing YVR with targeted stops in South Korea, Vietnam/Cambodia and Egypt. I'd appreciate feedback on any issues with it as well as ideas/alternatives on how to improve it. Of course less taxes and fees are better, however I don't mind paying a little bit for more direct routes and less time in airports.

YVR SEA AC Y
SEA ICN OZ J Stop
ICN HAN OZ J Open Jaw
HAN REP VN J Paid
PNH BKK TG J <24 hour
BKK CAI MS J Stop
CAI CDG MS J <24 hour
CDG YUL AC J
YUL YVR AC J

Many thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:14 am

I know you're doing CDG-YUL probably because there is no availability elsewhere, but be aware that it'll cost around $250 for that leg in scamcharges.

Also, CAI? Hope you're not going anytime soon...

Finally: SEA-ICN on OZ is not the best idea because that does not feature their redesigned Quadra Smartium seats. You should try to get the OZ flight through LAX/SFO/ORD - or go SEA-NRT on NH, then NRT-ICN-HAN. Just a thought.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by Magicbus
Greetings,

I'm working on a trip for 2 in J to occur over a 3 week timeframe late this year departing YVR with targeted stops in South Korea, Vietnam/Cambodia and Egypt. I'd appreciate feedback on any issues with it as well as ideas/alternatives on how to improve it. Of course less taxes and fees are better, however I don't mind paying a little bit for more direct routes and less time in airports.

YVR SEA AC Y
SEA ICN OZ J Stop
ICN HAN OZ J Open Jaw
HAN REP VN J Paid
PNH BKK TG J <24 hour
BKK CAI MS J Stop
CAI CDG MS J <24 hour
CDG YUL AC J
YUL YVR AC J

Many thanks!
I booked something similar a few days ago... and I'd recommend you try for YVR SFO / SFO ICN instead... as OZ J from SFO uses their new J Quadra Smartium seats in 777, where as from SEA, it's their 165 degrees lie-flat
seat...
http://airlineroute.net/2012/10/01/oz-77l-w12/
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by iamaho
I booked something similar a few days ago... and I'd recommend you try for YVR SFO / SFO ICN instead... as OZ J from SFO uses their new J Quadra Smartium seats in 777, where as from SEA, it's their 165 degrees lie-flat
seat...
http://airlineroute.net/2012/10/01/oz-77l-w12/
err which is exactly what I posted
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
err which is exactly what I posted
oops.... lol sorry... 5 hours of sleep is to blame...
but yes... Pseudo Nim's suggestions should be followed!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by iamaho
oops.... lol sorry... 5 hours of sleep is to blame...
but yes... Pseudo Nim's suggestions should be followed!
rofl. it's cool. you're totally right though (about the SFO segment, not about my suggestions ).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a trip that'll cover 3 continents (North America,Europe,Asia) originating from Vancouver in J class. I've come up with this itinerary using flisea.com tool. From the looks of it scamcharges will be through the roof with the airlines I found. Are there any recommended changes you guys can think of to lower the charges? Also, can you depart from different aiports within the same city with award flights? Thanks in advance!

YVR -> EWR AC J stop
JFK -> WAW LO J layover
WAW -> LHR LO J Destination
FCO -> PVG CA J Open Jaw/layover
PVG -> HND NH J stop
NRT -> YVR AC J
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by crx00
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a trip that'll cover 3 continents (North America,Europe,Asia) originating from Vancouver in J class. I've come up with this itinerary using flisea.com tool. From the looks of it scamcharges will be through the roof with the airlines I found. Are there any recommended changes you guys can think of to lower the charges? Also, can you depart from different aiports within the same city with award flights? Thanks in advance!

YVR -> EWR AC J stop
JFK -> WAW LO J layover
PVG -> HND NH J stop
NRT -> YVR AC J
The only really bad scamcharge you are seeing here is NRT-YVR on AC (intra-North America and intra-Europe are tiny, and CA on your FCO-PVG won't have one). LO should not be TOO bad (rankourabu said it went up, but someone posted it didn't, and that never went anywhere). Unfortunately, there's pretty much no way to get back from NRT to Canada without incurring a scamcharge - whether you go NRT-SEA on the 787 or NRT-YVR on AC, you will be hit with similar ones. Your only choice would be to go UA.... but I'm not sure it's worth it. Just as a word of advice - if you HAVE to pay the scamcharge, at least go on NH, it's a far better airline than AC.

Your much larger problem is the LHR / FCO open jaw. Won't be allowed (open jaws are allowed only at departure, or destination). I am in exactly this boat right now, but I need to visit Tuscany, which is more complicated because the airports are smaller - so I have decided to land in BLQ and take BA with Avios points to LHR and back.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by crx00
Hi Everyone,

YVR -> EWR AC J stop
JFK -> WAW LO J layover
PVG -> HND NH J stop
NRT -> YVR AC J
I'd avoid LHR and the whole OJ thing by going to the continent for your stop after NYC Why not try AMS/BRU/VIE/ZRH via US/SN/OS/LX to avoid YQ? Or perhaps FRA/CDG on UA? Catch a cheap flight to London and back, or better yet see if you can do the Chunnel(cool trip). LO J won't be that great and the others certainly are better (except UA)with better soft and hard product. Then continue to PVG and TYO and see if you can return on NH or OZ via LAX/SFO as per Pseudo Nim (or CA via PEK to YVR, UA via SEA) to save more YQ.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: Mariott, starwood, aeroplan, national
Smile Quick mini rtw

It's our 25th anniversary so the timing is right to do it while we are in good health

I have 160k AP as prestige member

Leave from YYZ and stop in NRT and Amsterdam or Germany and maybe somewhere else on way back

Any ideas without paying scam charges?

Thanks

Last edited by Jleonardelli; Feb 10, 2013 at 6:35 am Reason: Added notification
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Jleonardelli
It's our 25th anniversary so the timing is right to do it while we are in good health

I have 160k AP as prestige member

Leave from YYZ and stop in NRT and Amsterdam or Germany and maybe somewhere else on way back

Any ideas without paying scam charges?

Thanks
fly non-scamchargeable airlines? Search the forum for list.

I assume this is in Y (unless you are going alone on your anniversary trip )

If you fly airlines with scamcharges, you will soon discover that your points are worth less than a penny a point in economy.

Prestige Status doesnt matter - if you need to make the slightest change, you will be hit with $101.90 fee.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC SE
Need Clarrity on Stopover

I am planning a mini RTW with the folowing routing:

YUL-ZRH-IST-SIN(DESTINATION)-BKK-CAI-IST-ATH-JMK(STOP)JMK-ATH-MUC-IAD-YUL

I can find everything on the dates I want - all on non-scamcharge airlines - except for the JMK-ATH leg. I want to leave on May 8 but the only connection between JMK amd ATH is on May 5. Would they permit this 3 day connection or would I have to buy a separate ticket.
Thanks for any assistance.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
You're allowed 2 stops plus the destination (point of turnaround). All others must be connections <24 hours. From a stopover perspective I don't see a problem. You're transiting ATH twice though, not sure about that. I'm no expert though... I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.