Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
oh you mean having to pay double in Flex fares just so one can have a shot at an upgrade isnt enough not to fly AC TPAC?
Amazing to me how many people just accept this and think it is ok. Truly a joke...or perhaps it is just a Canadian thing?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
The trip must end in 1 year from departure.
Thank you
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sp4294
Amazing to me how many people just accept this and think it is ok. Truly a joke...or perhaps it is just a Canadian thing?
No, its an AC thing. They know they can get away with it. They do it.

Look at this thread, a mini-rtw just 2 years ago was 120k in F + $0.
Starting in 3 months, a J mini RTW will be 175k + $1000+

If that doesnt scream devaluation, someone needs to take math lessons.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Question

Hello resident mini-RTW experts and gurus. I'm trying to put together another one of these and would really appreciate some feedback on the following:

YYC-SFO UA BUSINESS CR7
SFO-PEK CA FIRST 744
PEK-BKK TG FIRST 744
BKK-SYD TG FIRST 747 (DESTINATION)
SYD-BKK TG FIRST 747 (STOP)
BKK-HKG TG FIRST 744
HKG-ICN OZ BUSINESS 333
ICN-LAX OZ FIRST 744
LAX-YYC AC BUSINESS E90

1. First, is this itinerary doable? (in terms of miles, routing etc.)

2. If the answer is yes, does this count as an Asia1 reward (175K miles) or does having Australia in there throw that out the window?

3. If the answer to #1 is yes, can I add a return leg to AKL from SYD?

4. If the answer to #3 is no, could I do one out of BKK to CNX or HKT or some place else in Thailand? (Open to suggestions here) Or could I add another stop somewhere? i.e HKG or ICN?

5. Also plenty open to other airlines or routing. Have plenty of TG but also balanced that off with a CA, a UA, and some OZ.

TIA for your help. ^
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shenanigans
Hello resident mini-RTW experts and gurus. I'm trying to put together another one of these and would really appreciate some feedback on the following:

YYC-SFO UA BUSINESS CR7
SFO-PEK CA FIRST 744
PEK-BKK TG FIRST 744
BKK-SYD TG FIRST 747 (DESTINATION)
SYD-BKK TG FIRST 747 (STOP)
BKK-HKG TG FIRST 744
HKG-ICN OZ BUSINESS 333
ICN-LAX OZ FIRST 744
LAX-YYC AC BUSINESS E90

1. First, is this itinerary doable? (in terms of miles, routing etc.)

2. If the answer is yes, does this count as an Asia1 reward (175K miles) or does having Australia in there throw that out the window?

3. If the answer to #1 is yes, can I add a return leg to AKL from SYD?

4. If the answer to #3 is no, could I do one out of BKK to CNX or HKT or some place else in Thailand? (Open to suggestions here) Or could I add another stop somewhere? i.e HKG or ICN?

5. Also plenty open to other airlines or routing. Have plenty of TG but also balanced that off with a CA, a UA, and some OZ.

TIA for your help. ^

1. You have 10326 miles to work with for MPM.
2. It will be charged Australia rates
3. YYC-AKL, you have 9433 miles to work with total each way
4. You can have two stops anywhere on the route, within MPM
5. Avoid CA from SFO, use them from LAX, great F class. UA F is not real F, You will pay over $1000 in scamcharges, AC will charge you for YYZ-SYD, and will not care you have some airlines in there that are not subject to scamcharges.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
1. You have 10326 miles to work with for MPM.
2. It will be charged Australia rates
3. YYC-AKL, you have 9433 miles to work with total each way
4. You can have two stops anywhere on the route, within MPM
5. Avoid CA from SFO, use them from LAX, great F class. UA F is not real F, You will pay over $1000 in scamcharges, AC will charge you for YYZ-SYD, and will not care you have some airlines in there that are not subject to scamcharges.
Thanks for the quick reply, rankourabu. Looks like I'm out of luck on MPM.

Can you clarify the underlined part of #5, please? I presume that you meant YYC rather than YYZ but what is it that drives this? The plan is for the first flight to be on UA.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:25 pm

Can you clarify the underlined part of #5, please? I presume that you meant YYC rather than YYZ but what is it that drives this? The plan is for the first flight to be on UA.
He meant YYC-SYD;

Because you have involved a YQ carrier (TG) you wont be charged YQ from BKK-SYD but rather YYC-SYD;

I believe this is because there are connections; if you where to stop in BKK; fuel would be charged from BKK-SYD and not YYC-SYD.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearna
He meant YYC-SYD;

Because you have involved a YQ carrier (TG) you wont be charged YQ from BKK-SYD but rather YYC-SYD;

I believe this is because there are connections; if you where to stop in BKK; fuel would be charged from BKK-SYD and not YYC-SYD.
exactly.

BKK-SYD YQ is much lower than YYC-SYD - BUT - AC will charge you for the entire routing

However, this has only proven to be the case when the first longhaul is on AC - so you may get away with paying just BKK-SYD if your first longhaul is CA/UA
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Another question related to my mini-rtw this coming winter. My POT is BKK and I have 2 layovers built in already and am not interested in changing that ticket at this point (FCO outbound and PRG on the return).

I do want to go to CNX and was planning to do so on a LCC. The more I think about it I would rather go directly there from BKK and I can book BKK - CNX for 20,000 points and virtually no taxes ($6). There is a Thai flight leaving 2:05 after my scheduled arrival. If I book this is there any way to link the 2 prn's so my suitcase is tagged to CNX and also be protected if my inbound flight is delayed or I am re-routed?

Otherwise I don't know that it makes sense to go on the same day I arrive - which I would prefer. Also, Air Asia and most of the LCC's now use DMK so if I buy a ticket I would need to get there. I've been re-routed and had lost luggage to deal with enough times to not try to book a separate ticket departing on the same day I arrive! Since it's still star alliance can I somehow connect them?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Another question related to my mini-rtw this coming winter. My POT is BKK and I have 2 layovers built in already and am not interested in changing that ticket at this point (FCO outbound and PRG on the return).

I do want to go to CNX and was planning to do so on a LCC. The more I think about it I would rather go directly there from BKK and I can book BKK - CNX for 20,000 points and virtually no taxes ($6). There is a Thai flight leaving 2:05 after my scheduled arrival. If I book this is there any way to link the 2 prn's so my suitcase is tagged to CNX and also be protected if my inbound flight is delayed or I am re-routed?

Otherwise I don't know that it makes sense to go on the same day I arrive - which I would prefer. Also, Air Asia and most of the LCC's now use DMK so if I buy a ticket I would need to get there. I've been re-routed and had lost luggage to deal with enough times to not try to book a separate ticket departing on the same day I arrive! Since it's still star alliance can I somehow connect them?

Can you not just swallow the $102 change fee, and simply add on the Thai segment onto your award, even if they are in Y?? It wont cost any extra points, but I guess you would have to start your return from CNX as well.

I would not book a separate ticket with 2:05 at BKK. You will not have any protection.

Did you check Bangkok Air from BKK?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Can you not just swallow the $102 change fee, and simply add on the Thai segment onto your award, even if they are in Y?? It wont cost any extra points, but I guess you would have to start your return from CNX as well.

I would not book a separate ticket with 2:05 at BKK. You will not have any protection.

Did you check Bangkok Air from BKK?
It's not a question of the change fee - that's why I included the info that I already have 2 stopovers so I cannot make it an open-jaw. As you said, having my return start there would still mean I'm still buying a return ticket from cnx-bkk.

Yes, I looked at Bangkok Air and that might be what I'll do - but I won't book it leaving that same day as too many things could cause me to miss the connection. If I can't link the pnr's then I suppose the next best idea is to go into Bangkok for the night and back out to the airport the next day. I'll probably give it a bit more thought.

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I looked at Bangkok Air and that might be what I'll do - but I won't book it leaving that same day as too many things could cause me to miss the connection. If I can't link the pnr's then I suppose the next best idea is to go into Bangkok for the night and back out to the airport the next day. I'll probably give it a bit more thought.

Thanks for the info!
There is always the overnight train lol

I actually liked it.. good sleep
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:51 am

It's not a question of the change fee - that's why I included the info that I already have 2 stopovers so I cannot make it an open-jaw. As you said, having my return start there would still mean I'm still buying a return ticket from cnx-bkk.

Thanks for the info!
Why would you not stay in BKK for a day or two? Might as well enjoy it!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:02 am

Why not go OZ LAX-ICN F on the outbound as well? OR OZ J from SFO (Quadra Smartium)? Connect to SYD via SIN and your MPM should work (Ok it won't be F but regional J on SQ or OZ). Or go BR J from SFO-TPE for no YQ at all.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Thanks for the info!
Wait ... why don't you try adding the open jaw anyway? I'm trying to remember if they have ever explicitly enforced the "either two stops or stop and open jaw" rule and I can't remember it being the case one way or another. Worth a call or two maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.