Mini RTW Questions

Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
Planning a F trip with Mrs Mac and was originally thinking YVR to Australia but the options were not great. I am now thinking to do Japan and Europe and try to experience the A380, the 788 and the FCT in Frankfurt. Would a routing like this work?

YVR-LAX UA
LAX-NRT UA 788 Stop
NRT-SIN SQ 380
SIN-LHR SQ 380 Turnaround
LHR-FRA LH Stop
FRA-SFO LH 380
SFO-YVR UA

I know the YQ will be high with LH and LHR but that is down on my priority list. Is this a valid routing and worth redeeming the F points for?

Thanks
SQ F is unavailable to Aeroplan with the exception of a few short-haul routes (CGK, BWN) and DEL.

LH F is not available until you're within 14 days of departure. SFO is one of those routes that is near impossible to find any award space on during that close-in window.

So, back to the drawing board you go. @:-)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:29 pm

Planning a F trip with Mrs Mac and was originally thinking YVR to Australia but the options were not great. I am now thinking to do Japan and Europe and try to experience the A380, the 788 and the FCT in Frankfurt. Would a routing like this work?

YVR-LAX UA
LAX-NRT UA 788 Stop
NRT-SIN SQ 380
SIN-LHR SQ 380 Turnaround
LHR-FRA LH Stop
FRA-SFO LH 380
SFO-YVR UA

I know the YQ will be high with LH and LHR but that is down on my priority list. Is this a valid routing and worth redeeming the F points for?

Thanks
UA 787 doesn't have F. SQ A380 F/R isn't available for Aeroplan redemptions. LH F is only available 14 days out, and is next to impossible for west coast, especially SFO. You need to have something in mind where there's actually award space available.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Back to the drawing board

Which airlines should I be looking at for an available F product from the west coast to Europe. Does OZ or BR have available F.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
You can find OZ LAX to ICN, TG from BKK to a host of cities - CDG, LHR, FRA, FCO, ZHR and more. United, Air China and Air India also have a number of F routes but may not be as desirable. You can read through the thread on valid mini RTW itineraries you will get some more ideas. Space opens on LH on a number of routes approximately 14 days out so you may want to plan to do some changes but it may be tough to get all the way to the west coast. You can easily find availability to a number of other centers though. Detroit, Boston, Toronto, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount

Which airlines should I be looking at for an available F product from the west coast to Europe. Does OZ or BR have available F.
I loved OZ F.

Have you tried using the ANA search engine for flights?

Instructions on how to use:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...d-search-tool/

I planned my two mini RTW trips in F on ANA.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
I loved OZ F.

Have you tried using the ANA search engine for flights?

Instructions on how to use:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...d-search-tool/

I planned my two mini RTW trips in F on ANA.
Or use my site. Far easier than ANA, not to mention that it searches ANA too. Heh.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Question Working on an Africa MiniRTW - need help with TPAC

A while back I posted my initial plans (quoted below) and got some good starting points. Now I'm nearing the 11-month window and starting to really dig into ANA tool. I have a plan that I think works but would like some help optimizing the TPAC return. Details below.

Originally Posted by cwhitt
My goal is a bit more complex.

I am ex-YHZ and my target is NBO (hike Mt Kilimanjaro) in J. Africa is the same as India or Asia 1 on the reward chart, so I'm assuming that I can get a stopover in Europe, India, Asia 1 or E/W/S Africa, as long as I meet the MPM5.
So I've convinced myself that the optimum turn is CPT, and these are the MPM5 I got from my expertflyer trial:
AT - 11073
PA - 17022

It's that lovely PA MPM5 that has focused my attention on CPT. With AE I'm allowed 10 segments, two stops and the turn. I plan the outbound to be:
YHZ - YUL (AC)
YUL - IST (TK)
IST - NBO (TK) STOP
NBO - JNB (SA)
JNB - CPT (SA) POT

GCMap gives me 10853 for the mileage and with only one AC segment YQ should be low. I went through a ton of scenarios in ANA tonight and I believe that I should be able to get all the way to CPT in J with a little flexibility in my booking dates.

The trick is on the return:
CPT-JNB (SA)
JNB-HKG (SA) STOP

So far no problem, no YQ, availability at 11 months. However, I want the last bit to be:
HKG-TPE (BR)
TPE-YYZ (BR)
YYZ-YHZ (AC)

Maps out to 16243 miles.

Problem is that it seems from my ANA searching that BR (EVA) seats only become available around 80 days out in Y and 21 days out in J.

So I have a few options and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest which is best, or suggest something else entirely:

1. Book HKG-YVR-YYZ on AC, pay the YQ but lock in all the outbound segments. At 80 days out pay the 2x$90 change fees to get onto my preferred itinerary. At 21 days out get the AE call centre to upgrade me into J on BR hopefully for no fee. Have to do it this way because at 21 days out I'll already be started the trip and I absolutely DO want the YQ recalculated when I make the change (I hope the YQ savings will be much more than the change fee).

2. Try to find a low-YQ route to book at 11 months. I'm trying to find routings using UA or CA, but award availability seems to be limited that far out. I ran out of time to sift through all the possibilities tonight on ANA, but routings that I believe would fit within my MPM5 include:
CPT-JNB-(SIN/HKG)-(PEK/NRT)-(NYC)-YHZ

Assuming I can find a low-YQ return, then I can skip the change to BR in Y at 80 days out and just wait for the 21-day window. At 21-days I probably have a couple of choices: EVA through TPE as above, or I could go BKK-NRT-YYZ on TQ/AC. This lets me get a J segment on a Thai A380 without paying YQ (since at 21 days out I'll already have started the trip).

Any creative ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated!

Cheers,
Christopher

PS - I'm considering paying for one or more tools over the next few months so that I can be sure I book exactly what I want. Any preference for ExpertFlyer, AwardNexus, other? I heard that EF no longer has comprehensive *A award inventory...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
2. Try to find a low-YQ route to book at 11 months. I'm trying to find routings using UA or CA, but award availability seems to be limited that far out. I ran out of time to sift through all the possibilities tonight on ANA, but routings that I believe would fit within my MPM5 include:
CPT-JNB-(SIN/HKG)-(PEK/NRT)-(NYC)-YHZ

Assuming I can find a low-YQ return, then I can skip the change to BR in Y at 80 days out and just wait for the 21-day window. At 21-days I probably have a couple of choices: EVA through TPE as above, or I could go BKK-NRT-YYZ on TQ/AC. This lets me get a J segment on a Thai A380 without paying YQ (since at 21 days out I'll already have started the trip).
After poring over the TPAC options all evening, the solution hit me in the head when I read my own message. I'll just book a TATL return to lock in my outbound segments with low YQ. If I can't get the BR Royal Laurel in J from TPE to YYZ at the appropriate time later on, no worries, I still have a great trip at a great price.

I haven't looked into J award availability for the return, but obvious places to check will be IST, ZRH, and CAI. I don't need to go through NBO on the return so I should have a few options for the second stopover.

I also just noticed there are directs from JNB to PEK, which might open up a few other TPAC options - though I'm starting to think that no TPAC, YQ-free *A carrier releases J inventory at 11 months.

Anyone have other ideas?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:34 pm

After poring over the TPAC options all evening, the solution hit me in the head when I read my own message. I'll just book a TATL return to lock in my outbound segments with low YQ. If I can't get the BR Royal Laurel in J from TPE to YYZ at the appropriate time later on, no worries, I still have a great trip at a great price.

I haven't looked into J award availability for the return, but obvious places to check will be IST, ZRH, and CAI. I don't need to go through NBO on the return so I should have a few options for the second stopover.

I also just noticed there are directs from JNB to PEK, which might open up a few other TPAC options - though I'm starting to think that no TPAC, YQ-free *A carrier releases J inventory at 11 months.

Anyone have other ideas?
BR does to an extent - I think they do it in months and they don't seem to have release June and July yet (only up to May), but so does UA albeit not consistently and CA also not consistently and depending on routes.

Also, if you are planning to change after departure keep in mind there's no guarantee that the AP policy of not charging additional money other than change fee will stay.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:36 pm

West coast F to europe? United, which honestly is not worth the premium. OZ has F (to LAX, JFK, and FRA from ICN), BR doesn't.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Other alternative is to come back through South America. JNB-GRU tends to have plenty of availability, as do flights around the region (once you can find *A airlines on them of course).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
Hi, this is not per say a full mini RTW but I am wondering if this is a valid route

YVR - IAH
IAH - FRA (stop)
FRA - BCN
---- Open jaw ----
LHR - BOG
BOG - CCS

This if legal should come to 100K miles in J then I will use another 37.5 K from CCS to YVR in J (one way reward). Does this seem reasonable?

Is there any way I could do this instead all in one ticket?

YVR - IAH
IAH - FRA
FRA - BCN
---- Open jaw ----
LHR - BOG
BOG - CCS
CCS - YVR

Thanks very much for your help!

Last edited by sluis; Sep 4, 2014 at 2:03 am
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by sluis
Hi, this is not per say a full mini RTW but I am wondering if this is a valid route

YVR - IAH
IAH - FRA (stop)
FRA - BCN
---- Open jaw ----
LHR - BOG
BOG - CCS

This if legal should come to 100K miles in J then I will use another 37.5 K from CCS to YVR in J (one way reward). Does this seem reasonable?

YVR - IAH
IAH - FRA
FRA - BCN
---- Open jaw ----
LHR - BOG
BOG - CCS
CCS - YVR

First is not valid since you have two open jaws. I would say the second one is way over the milage
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by sluis

YVR - IAH
IAH - FRA (stop)
FRA - BCN
---- Open jaw ----
LHR - BOG
BOG - CCS

YVR - IAH
IAH - FRA
FRA - BCN
---- Open jaw ----
LHR - BOG
BOG - CCS
CCS - YVR

There's absolutely NO way you can route North to South America through Europe. I think it'd fail even with the geographically incompetent USDM agents - and Aeroplan does tend to be a bit more competent

Not to mention LHR-BOG would *kill* you with APD surcharges (because it's distance-based, and BOG is pretty far).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
There's absolutely NO way you can route North to South America through Europe. I think it'd fail even with the geographically incompetent USDM agents - and Aeroplan does tend to be a bit more competent

Not to mention LHR-BOG would *kill* you with APD surcharges (because it's distance-based, and BOG is pretty far).
Given that BCN is further from YVR than CCS, it'd be routing to Europe through South America. Moot point though, because it's 40% over mpm, and you're allowed 5%

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.