Mini RTW Questions

Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:58 pm
  #121  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,358
1. All are safe - maybe with the exception of LA - probably only truly dangerous place on your list. Italy is also dodgy some places, beware of pickpockets. Less so in Prague and Budapest, but keep common sense with you in tourist areas
2. There are enough decently priced small hotels and guesthouses, there is no need for a hostel in Bangkok. Bangkok is very safe - but keep an eye out on the flooding situation
3. Yes, you have access to all lounges, but not all are created equal - best one will be in Istanbul
4. Depending on your connection timing - you may qualify for a free tour of Istanbul from Turkish Airlines - google it.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:25 pm
  #122  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by rankourabu
1. All are safe - maybe with the exception of LA - probably only truly dangerous place on your list. Italy is also dodgy some places, beware of pickpockets. Less so in Prague and Budapest, but keep common sense with you in tourist areas
2. There are enough decently priced small hotels and guesthouses, there is no need for a hostel in Bangkok. Bangkok is very safe - but keep an eye out on the flooding situation
3. Yes, you have access to all lounges, but not all are created equal - best one will be in Istanbul
4. Depending on your connection timing - you may qualify for a free tour of Istanbul from Turkish Airlines - google it.
It's funny (and sad) that your #1 is so true. I took a drive through LAX not too long ago... and it's scary how different the areas are. Hit up Little Tokyo, and it's almost like being in Tokyo, complete with tourists. West Hollywood is all local who's who. And then other areas.... You don't know if your car will be there when you get out of the Taco Bell. :P that and nobody walks on the street. Istanbul for instance, is nothing like tha. It was a normal city, heh.

Make sure to see the Hagia Sophia and the blue mosque in IST.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:06 am
  #123  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
It's funny (and sad) that your #1 is so true. I took a drive through LAX not too long ago... and it's scary how different the areas are. Hit up Little Tokyo, and it's almost like being in Tokyo, complete with tourists. West Hollywood is all local who's who. And then other areas.... You don't know if your car will be there when you get out of the Taco Bell. :P that and nobody walks on the street. Istanbul for instance, is nothing like tha. It was a normal city, heh.

Make sure to see the Hagia Sophia and the blue mosque in IST.
Awesome thanks guy. I am trying to plan a 4 week itinerary for Aussie, and 2 week for Thailand (debating to change this to 3 weeks, and Rome to 3 weeks).... any must sees here?

Italy I will be with family in the burbs'.
csifan29 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:02 pm
  #124  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
Posts: 208
Booking a RTW for the first time

Hello folks,

I am considering booking my first RTW trip ever for next year. This is my desired itinerary:

YUL-SFO (AC-J)
SFO-ICN (OZ-J)
ICN-BKK (TG-J) Stop (two weeks)
BKK-IST (TK-J) Stop (a couple of days)
IST-PRG (TK-J) Stop (a couple of days)
PRG-BRU (SN-J) Cnx
BRU-YUL (AC-J)

Is this a valid route?

Also, I have 135K miles in AP, is it worth to pay for the missing miles to book some segments in F?

Thanks!
uni3052 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:43 pm
  #125  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by uni3052
Hello folks,

I am considering booking my first RTW trip ever for next year. This is my desired itinerary:

YUL-SFO (AC-J)
SFO-ICN (OZ-J)
ICN-BKK (TG-J) Stop (two weeks)
BKK-IST (TK-J) Stop (a couple of days)
IST-PRG (TK-J) Stop (a couple of days)
PRG-BRU (SN-J) Cnx
BRU-YUL (AC-J)

Is this a valid route?

Also, I have 135K miles in AP, is it worth to pay for the missing miles to book some segments in F?

Thanks!
It seems valid to me (the regulars will chime in on any irregularities) but I wouldn't spend the extra on F - not unless you are taking the long legs in F. The only "spectacular" leg that you would experience in F would be SFO-ICN, as none of the other routes you mention have a 3-cabin configuration. I would also avoid AC if I were you - YUL-SFO should be doable on UA, and PRG-YUL should be doable on LH through MUC perhaps?
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:45 pm
  #126  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by csifan29
Awesome thanks guy. I am trying to plan a 4 week itinerary for Aussie, and 2 week for Thailand (debating to change this to 3 weeks, and Rome to 3 weeks).... any must sees here?

Italy I will be with family in the burbs'.
BKK is a first for me as well, so not sure. I've been recommended the Emerald Buddha and a restaurant on a pier - since you're spending more than 10 hours in BKK you should plan some proper sightseeing. Grab the iPad app, there's some good ideas there!
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:03 pm
  #127  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 771
Trying to understand Published Routing Rules.
My planned trip is YYC-LAX(SFO)-BKK(ICN,NRT)-SIN (Stop)
SIN-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop)
AKL-LAX(SFO)-YYC.

YYC-SYD going this way is over MPM but I have been told via SIN it is allowed as it is a SQ published route. This is what i found on EF and just need some help deciphering it:

PUBLISHED RTG YYC-SYD/SQ700 /TAR-TPRG EF-24JAN11 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
1. YYC-AC-YVR-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
2. YYC-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
3. YYC-US/AS-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
4. YYC-AC-YVR-SQ/AC-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
5. YYC-SQ/AC-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
6. YYC-SQ/AS-SEA-SQ/AS-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
7. YYC-AC-YVR-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
8. YYC-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
9. YYC-US/AS-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD

Does this look like the PR? Does it mean I can go via BKK? Does it specify which carrier I have to use via BKK, or is that irrelevant when redeeming on a Star Alliance award?
DavidYYC is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:05 pm
  #128  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
BKK is a first for me as well, so not sure. I've been recommended the Emerald Buddha and a restaurant on a pier - since you're spending more than 10 hours in BKK you should plan some proper sightseeing. Grab the iPad app, there's some good ideas there!
Go here if you want. I did it and it was fun. I don't know if the flood has affected it much. The place is at Samut Songkhram.
jarusoba is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:07 pm
  #129  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,396
Yes. I think you can do this with the first few routings as listed although it's over the MPM. You have to tell the agent about the routings and ask him/her to validate it.


Originally Posted by DavidYYC
Trying to understand Published Routing Rules.
My planned trip is YYC-LAX(SFO)-BKK(ICN,NRT)-SIN (Stop)
SIN-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop)
AKL-LAX(SFO)-YYC.

YYC-SYD going this way is over MPM but I have been told via SIN it is allowed as it is a SQ published route. This is what i found on EF and just need some help deciphering it:

PUBLISHED RTG YYC-SYD/SQ700 /TAR-TPRG EF-24JAN11 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
1. YYC-AC-YVR-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
2. YYC-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
3. YYC-US/AS-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
4. YYC-AC-YVR-SQ/AC-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
5. YYC-SQ/AC-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
6. YYC-SQ/AS-SEA-SQ/AS-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
7. YYC-AC-YVR-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
8. YYC-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
9. YYC-US/AS-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD

Does this look like the PR? Does it mean I can go via BKK? Does it specify which carrier I have to use via BKK, or is that irrelevant when redeeming on a Star Alliance award?
jarusoba is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:08 pm
  #130  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Go here if you want. I did it and it was fun. I don't know if the flood has affected it much. The place is at Samut Songkhram.
oh damn! always wanted to go there (having seen that vid) but it never clicked that that was BKK too bad I'm with a baby this time. Not sure the wife would approve
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:11 pm
  #131  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Yes. I think you can do this with the first few routings as listed although it's over the MPM. You have to tell the agent about the routings and ask him/her to validate it.
whoa, so does that mean that based on that, yvr-lax-nrt-bkk-sin-syd is a valid routing to SYD?
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:15 pm
  #132  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
whoa, so does that mean that based on that, yvr-lax-nrt-bkk-sin-syd is a valid routing to SYD?
Don't know about YVR. YYC is, based on that published routing.
jarusoba is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:17 pm
  #133  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
oh damn! always wanted to go there (having seen that vid) but it never clicked that that was BKK too bad I'm with a baby this time. Not sure the wife would approve
If you feel comfortable carrying the baby for about 1 hour, you should be perfectly fine. The market is not gross or anything. It's just not very convenient to use a stroller.
jarusoba is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:18 pm
  #134  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Don't know about YVR. YYC is, based on that published routing.
Err, I stand corrected, YYC.

The way I understand MPM, you can build your own routing as long as you're below it - and if you're over MPM, then only allowed when on a published routing. Does that mean that if this routing pushes the trip over MPM, the return segment HAS to be done per published routings OR whatever is shortest, or are "going" and "return" treated separately?

Specific example - knowing that there is an NZ flight serving the route, would SYD-AKL-RAR-LAX-YYC appear to be a permitted return in the above situation?
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:21 pm
  #135  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by jarusoba
If you feel comfortable carrying the baby for about 1 hour, you should be perfectly fine. The market is not gross or anything. It's just not very convenient to use a stroller.
Cool - good to know, thanks for the heads up. On the list it goes. :]
Pseudo Nim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.