Mini RTW Questions

Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Planning a mini-RTW in August - any thoughts on these flights/routings (all in J)?

YYZ-PEK (either AC direct, or via ORD & ICN on OZ for the Quadra Smartium seat and slightly lower fuel surcharge)
--destination-- (side trip to FNJ!)
PEK-CPH (SK direct)
--stop-- (side trip to Malmo by rail)
CPH-WAW (SK)
--stop--
WAW-YYZ (LO - on the 787 if it's back in service)

Comes to about $350 in surcharges/taxes.

Any suggestions for improvements? And is the QS seat worth the extra connections (versus $150 extra charges)? (I was in ICN in November, so not planning a stop there).

I would recommend CA/SK PEK-FRA/CDG-CPH - on their 77Ws - much better than SK J.

And yes - saving $150 and not having to fly AC J in favour of OZ QS would be worth it to me!

I'll be in FNJ for mass games this year too Aug.13-20
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would recommend CA/SK PEK-FRA/CDG-CPH - on their 77Ws - much better than SK J.

And yes - saving $150 and not having to fly AC J in favour of OZ QS would be worth it to me!

I'll be in FNJ for mass games this year too Aug.13-20
FNJ? Why on earth go there?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Booked:

YYZ-ORD (UA J, A320)
ORD-ICN (OZ J, 777 Quadra Smartium)
ICN-PEK (CA J, A321)
--destination--
--Side trip to FNJ--
PEK-CPH (SK J, A340)
--stop--
CPH-WAW (LO J, E75)
--stop--
WAW-YYZ (LO J, either 767 or 787, if it's back in service)

Taxes, fees, surcharges, etc: $389.86
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sp4294
FNJ? Why on earth go there?
Why not go there? Weirdest place on earth!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC, VA, EY
Is this a valid routing?
SEA-NRT-SIN-MEL-BKK-FRA-YUL-YVR-SEA? With melbourne being POint of turnaround?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kade Reid
Is this a valid routing?
SEA-NRT-SIN-MEL-BKK-FRA-YUL-YVR-SEA? With melbourne being POint of turnaround?
you only get 10346 miles for SEA-MEL, so you are way over.
However, everything thru SIN seems to be alowed, but you wont know till you try.

You can expect about $1000 fees on your ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC, VA, EY
you only get 10346 miles for SEA-MEL, so you are way over.
However, everything thru SIN seems to be alowed, but you wont know till you try.

You can expect about $1000 fees on your ticket.
Is there a way around this? Maybe swapping the point of turnaround in SIN rather than MEL?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kade Reid
Is there a way around this? Maybe swapping the point of turnaround in SIN rather than MEL?
cant do that, your POT will be the furthest point. The way around it is to fly UA LAX/SFO-MEL.

However, routings via Europe should be ok, because there is no MPM published, and seems like everything via SIN goes as well - you need to try, and likely a few agents as well.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I have a question about same-day standby between YYZ - YOW. The last 2 segments of a mini-rtw I'm on the verge of booking are WAW-YYZ-YOW. The flight from WAW arrives at 16:10 but the next available flight to YOW isn't until 00:15. This is for late Jan 2014 so it's ridiculous that there are no other seats, but that's beside the point! Do they consider it same-day since it's after midnight? Any issues with checked luggage? I assume there will be a seat earlier since there are several flights.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I have a question about same-day standby between YYZ - YOW. The last 2 segments of a mini-rtw I'm on the verge of booking are WAW-YYZ-YOW. The flight from WAW arrives at 16:10 but the next available flight to YOW isn't until 00:15. This is for late Jan 2014 so it's ridiculous that there are no other seats, but that's beside the point! Do they consider it same-day since it's after midnight? Any issues with checked luggage? I assume there will be a seat earlier since there are several flights.
It's hit and miss with Air Canada. They could run the official "pay $XXX to change at the airport" line at you, or they could just put you on a plane. You'll know as things get closer. Alternatively, a seat might just open up and you can pay $90 to change - or you can try airport standby. But if you do not have status with AC, I would certainly not *count* on it, just take it as a bonus if it worked.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Thanks! I'm still looking so I might do another route. I want to go on the WAW - YYZ flight but the only way it works is if I do a stopover in Warsaw and I'm not sure I want to do that . I'm going to keep looking......
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Well who knows if it's valid or if my second agent didn't know the rules.

Itinerary is:

YYZ - SEA (AC Y)
SEA - NRT (NH J 788)
NRT - AKL (NZ J and stop) -- on the 777-200, which looks like it still has the 'old' BusinessPremier, but I hope it should be fine. I misread my little table that I had made and gave the date wrong so the stop in NRT is 26 hours, and the NRT - AKL flight has a 90 min ground stop in Osaka. We actually prefer having an overnight on the ground instead of a 2 hour connection for other 10 hour flight, so in the end I am pleased with this!
AKL - MEL (NZ J and stop)
MEL - BKK (TG J) -- 777 which I think has old seats?
BKK - NRT (TG J 388 and stop)
NRT - ORD (NH J)
ORD - YYZ (AC Y)

$1322 all-in charges

I tried to book the same thing on US/UA miles, with the NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT on UA and the YYZ - NRT on US, but US could not see NRT - ORD on NH, so I grabbed NRT - YYC - YYZ for myself on AC. There's a 5.5 hour connection in YYC, but I'm hoping I can same-day standby since it's a J ticket or same-day change in YYC for $75. I actually don't mind flying AC J -- never done it longhaul and usually expensive to do on Aeroplan miles.

We actually wanted to OJ and fly CHC - MEL but the first agent said it's only 1 OJ or 2 stopovers, so we changed to AKL - MEL. I didn't ask the second agent about the OJ and just gave her the AKL - MEL.
So what do I do about NH 788 now? Will Aeroplan work with me to find (revenue) space on something else?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what do I do about NH 788 now? Will Aeroplan work with me to find (revenue) space on something else?
No they will not, IME for a cancelled route, they will:
1. Find you space on the same route in same class, where award space is available (in this case UA operates SEA-NRT)
2. Force open award space on AC
3. Last resort, call partners operating route to request open space

You can always refund of course.

If I was you, I would find an alternative way of getting to AKL with award space available, and ask for those flights. You are only in a bind when there isnt any. Its much better you do your research before calling. Remind them you should not be paying extra scamcharges if applicable.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:44 am

No they will not, IME for a cancelled route, they will:
1. Find you space on the same route in same class, where award space is available (in this case UA operates SEA-NRT)
2. Force open award space on AC
3. Last resort, call partners operating route to request open space

You can always refund of course.

If I was you, I would find an alternative way of getting to AKL with award space available, and ask for those flights. You are only in a bind when there isnt any. Its much better you do your research before calling. Remind them you should not be paying extra scamcharges if applicable.
There's absolutely nothing open at all. I've looked -- June 13.

To complicate matters, I'm travelling with a friend, but I'm on US miles and he's on Aeroplan miles. My ticket goes up to NRT and then I'm on a nested UA award ticket NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's absolutely nothing open at all. I've looked -- June 13.

To complicate matters, I'm travelling with a friend, but I'm on US miles and he's on Aeroplan miles. My ticket goes up to NRT and then I'm on a nested UA award ticket NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT
AE will force YYZ-NRT for you.

I have no idea what USAir will do for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.