Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
try finding J for PEK-WAW.
yup. does not exist. If it did, YQ would be in the $200 range.

However CA 777s and A330s are more than adequate in J - flat beds, and no scamcharges.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by rankourabu
yup. does not exist. If it did, YQ would be in the $200 range.

However CA 777s and A330s are more than adequate in J - flat beds, and no scamcharges.
I'm on it in Feb, didn't know it was difficult to get. During my research I found a PEK-WAW return in J on LO on aeroplan and the YQ was about $120 rt. I was expecting about $60 but I don't think they charged me anything since the agent mentioned I had no YQ. It was the 2nd change on my itinerary (long story) and all I know is what my net total was in the end.

Don't want to get too sidetracked, but since I mentioned it this is what I ended up with:

YOW-YYZ (AC) Y
YYZ-EWR (AC) J
EWR-AMS (UA) J
AMS-ZRH (LX) J
ZRH-FCO (LX) J stopover
FCO-CAI (MS) J
CAI-BKK (MS) J destination
BKK-PEK (CA) J
PEK-WAW (LO) J
WAW-PRG (LO) J stopover
PRG-ZRH (LX) J
ZRH-YUL (LX) J
YUL-YOW (AC)

Taxes/fees/booking fee about $299 + change fees. Outbound is during the holidays so it was tough to find flights and I wanted a stopover in PRG on the way back. It was close to MPM but not over, don't remember the numbers right now.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I'm on it in Feb, didn't know it was difficult to get. During my research I found a PEK-WAW return in J on LO on aeroplan and the YQ was about $120 rt. I was expecting about $60 but I don't think they charged me anything since the agent mentioned I had no YQ. It was the 2nd change on my itinerary (long story) and all I know is what my net total was in the end.

Don't want to get too sidetracked, but since I mentioned it this is what I ended up with:

YOW-YYZ (AC) Y
YYZ-EWR (AC) J
EWR-AMS (UA) J
AMS-ZRH (LX) J
ZRH-FCO (LX) J stopover
FCO-CAI (MS) J
CAI-BKK (MS) J destination
BKK-PEK (CA) J
PEK-WAW (LO) J
WAW-PRG (LO) J stopover
PRG-ZRH (LX) J
ZRH-YUL (LX) J
YUL-YOW (AC)

Taxes/fees/booking fee about $299 + change fees. Outbound is during the holidays so it was tough to find flights and I wanted a stopover in PRG on the way back. It was close to MPM but not over, don't remember the numbers right now.
That is great when did you book that?

Similar to my trip but about 100o bucks more than yours. Yours was for 2 people?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by laurenceYYZ
Thanks! That helps. I had always thought it was two stops or one stop + open jaw though? If it's three stops, then for sure we'd add TPE-ICN.

I believe SQ recently upgraded their J class product from CPH to SIN, at least according to this trip report http://www.businessclass.se/forum/re...mn-bilder.html
Looks like it. Good to have another option with SQ.
And it is three stops for sure.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
That is great when did you book that?

Similar to my trip but about 100o bucks more than yours. Yours was for 2 people?
I originally booked months ago but several changes since then. There were a couple of schedule changes from my original booking (incl YUL-ZRH) and I was put on YOW-LHR (AC) followed by a couple of LH J flights. No extra cost for me so I was fine with that. But a few weeks ago some more time opened up for me so I found my new return itinerary and called to rebook that. I assumed they would re-calculate my return taxes/fees but they added in everything on the outbound incl all the YQ I never paid in the first place. That really ticked me off! I found my knew outbound flights and re-booked those to get a lot of the fees back. Just me travelling.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by sp4294
Looks like it. Good to have another option with SQ.
And it is three stops for sure.
3 stops would refer to 2 stops and a turnaround?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:30 am

I originally booked months ago but several changes since then. There were a couple of schedule changes from my original booking (incl YUL-ZRH) and I was put on YOW-LHR (AC) followed by a couple of LH J flights. No extra cost for me so I was fine with that. But a few weeks ago some more time opened up for me so I found my new return itinerary and called to rebook that. I assumed they would re-calculate my return taxes/fees but they added in everything on the outbound incl all the YQ I never paid in the first place. That really ticked me off! I found my knew outbound flights and re-booked those to get a lot of the fees back. Just me travelling.
You should have never been recalculated on the YOW-LHR flight due to schedule change; should have fought that; escalate to manager if needed.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by hearna
You should have never been recalculated on the YOW-LHR flight due to schedule change; should have fought that; escalate to manager if needed.
I'm not sure if I explained it clearly. The schedule change for my outbound flights occurred months ago and I was not charged at that time. When I changed my return flights they re-calculated ALL the taxes incl the YQ I didn't pay due to the schedule change on my outbound flights and charged it to me at that time.

I did call and complain but I didn't get very far with it. I expected them to only re-calculate the return fees & taxes and not to re-calculate the entire itinerary. They refunded 2 change fees back to me and after that I found new outbound flights and got the YQ back by booking the flights I listed above.

Last edited by tryinginvain; Oct 11, 2013 at 9:42 am
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:50 am

I'm not sure if I explained it clearly. The schedule change for my outbound flights occurred months ago and I was not charged at that time. When I changed my return flights they re-calculated ALL the taxes incl the YQ I didn't pay due to the schedule change on my outbound flights and charged it to me at that time.

I did call and complain but I didn't get very far with it. I expected them to only re-calculate the return fees & taxes and not to re-calculate the entire itinerary. They refunded 2 change fees back to me and after that I found new outbound flights and got the YQ back by booking the flights I listed above.
SO yes in the end you won; but I am saying it should have never happened in the first place; the first change was on them; their fault; their problem; they absorb the bogus fees.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Globex
3 stops would refer to 2 stops and a turnaround?
yes
and if you OJ you sacrifice a stop
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:03 pm

Mini RTW Questions

I am still trying to work iut my mini rtw:

yul-zrh
zrh-ist < 24 hours
Ist - hkg
hkg - akl stop
akl - syd turn point
syd - sin stop
sin - lax
lax - yul

am I pushing my mmp?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I am still trying to work iut my mini rtw:

yul-zrh
zrh-ist < 24 hours
Ist - hkg
hkg - akl stop
akl - syd turn point
syd - sin stop
sin - lax
lax - yul

am I pushing my mmp?
No MPM5 listed AFAIK for YUL-AKL TATL, 11331 TPAC
No MPM5 listed AFAIK for YUL-SYD TATL, 12558 TPAC
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:50 am

I'm wondering if anyone here has recently had experience getting an agent to accept an itinerary with 12 or 13 segments? I've done 11, but 13 seems like it might draw the ire of the agent dragons.

I've been monitoring closely TG F from NRT-BKK on the A380 and it just looks like it isn't going to happen (F availability is down to 1), currently I'm booked in crappy NH J and incurring the YQ anyways.

I can route as follows and gain 23h connections in ICN and KIX where I can get the TG 380 in F (confirmed under MPM too):

YYZ-ORD UA J
ORD-NRT NH F
NRT-ICN OZ F
ICN-KIX OZ J
KIX-BKK TG F
BKK-SIN SQ J
SIN-CGK SQ F

CGK-SIN SQ F
SIN-HKG SQ J
HKG-TPE BR J
TPE-NRT BR J
NRT-FRA NH F
FRA-YYZ LH Y

I don't think going through NRT, going to ICN and then back to KIX should create too much hassle with the immigration authorities? By the end of the trip I'll have made 3 entries into Japan!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Interesting itinerary. I don't think 13 will be an issue - I'm almost certain I've done 12, and I think I might even have done 13, but damn, that's a lot of zigzagging
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Interesting itinerary. I don't think 13 will be an issue - I'm almost certain I've done 12, and I think I might even have done 13, but damn, that's a lot of zigzagging
And that's without considering the BKK-CNX-BKK round trip I've booked, as well as CGK-DPS-BDO

I have exactly 32 days to squeeze all this madness in.

EDIT:

I didn't get flamed for asking for 13 segments, but I'm told it's over MPM somehow?

YYZ-CGK MPM over the Pacific is 11799 according to EF, so MPM5 should be 12389.

YYZ-ORD-NRT-ICN-KIX-BKK-SIN-CGK is 12035, so under MPM5.

Looks like a scenario where HUACA is called for.

Last edited by tng11; Oct 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.