Mini RTW Questions

Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:24 am
  #1021  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Posts: 3,442
195,000 AP mini-RTW in F- Itinerary advise

If you're hoping to use the FCT in FRA you have to by flying out on an LH flight in any class of service as long you fly in on LH or LX F. It is more than worth it, but a challenge to find.
yyzgigi is online now  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:45 am
  #1022  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,392
Originally Posted by jetset09
Hi All,
Travel Dates: Jan 2014-Feb 2014

Aeroplan points available: 195K

Travel Class: Prefer F all the way, however recognize that I may have to travel in J for some segments

Here is my first crack at building an itinerary:
YYZ-FRA(layover)-IST(layover)-BKK(stop)-SIN(layover)-SYD(stop)-PEK(layover)-NRT(destination)-ZRH(layover)-LIS(layover)-YUL(Layover)-YYZ

YYZ-FRA ( LH F)
Pro: Experience the LH First class terminal + chauffeur drive
Con: Availability opens up 14 days out and fuel charges are very high

FRA-IST (TG F)
Pro: Travel on the A380
Con: fuel surcharge

BKK-SIN-SYD (SQ F- I have been reading this is not possible to book with AP. Would be OK with business class

SYD-PEK-NRT (AIR CHINA)

NRT-ZRH-LIS (TAP)

LIS-YUL-YYZ (Swiss)

Questions:
1) Is this a valid routing according to MPM and other rules for Aeroplan rewards?. Its based on a routing confirmed in the Including SYD/MEL in mini-R-t-W thread

2)What kind of surcharges am I looking at for the trip? Ideally, I would like to keep it <800. Willing to swap out segments and fly with TK or LX to minimize costs

3) What does availability in F look like right now for the Jan period? If someone can look on the KVS tool, I would really appreciate it.

4) Any other routings that are more feasible and still accomplish the same goals?

Appreciate all the help in advance
I think you've mixed up all the carriers and routes, but that looks right.
And no, you cannot get SQ F with AP. I also don't think you get chaffeur drive in LH F but rather car to your plane from FCT.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:07 am
  #1023  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,101
Agree with SYD-ICN-NRT. I just did it last week and it's not F, but I would argue that OZ J is pretty great and Air China is not good in general

You can get F to SYD by doing BKK-SYD - SQ is good but TG F is definitely better than SQ J. They serve Dom and you can get a 1 hour massage at the BKK airport. TG's ground service is far superior to SQ's.
mikeyyz is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:52 am
  #1024  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,439
Originally Posted by jetset09

SYD-PEK-NRT (AIR CHINA)

NRT-ZRH-LIS (TAP)

LIS-YUL-YYZ (Swiss)
yeah this is not gonna work.

SYD is restricted to 12177 miles TPAC, or a 'published routing'

It seems that everything via SIN seems to be good to go on the TATL front, but thats about it.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:41 pm
  #1025  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
Thanks for the input so far. Looking over all the suggestions, here is an updated routing

(LH F)
YYZ-FRA(layover)
FRA-IST(layover)

(TG F)
IST-BKK(stop)

(TG F)
BKK-SIN(layover)
SIN-SYD(stop)

SYD-ICN(layover)
ICN-NRT(destination)

NRT-ZRH(layover)
ZRH-LIS(layover)

LIS-YUL(Layover)
YUL-YYZ

@rankourabu: Are you saying it is not possible to get both SYD and NRT on the award ticket? Or was that referring to how it was originally routed (SYD-PEK-NRT)

What carriers would you recommend for the return routing? Would I still be able to stop in LIS on the way back?
jetset09 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:44 pm
  #1026  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: YVR
Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Posts: 8,963
Originally Posted by jetset09
Thanks for the input so far. Looking over all the suggestions, here is an updated routing

(LH F)
YYZ-FRA(layover)
FRA-IST(layover)

(TG F)
IST-BKK(stop)

(TG F)
BKK-SIN(layover)
SIN-SYD(stop)

SYD-ICN(layover)
ICN-NRT(destination)

NRT-ZRH(layover)
ZRH-LIS(layover)

LIS-YUL(Layover)
YUL-YYZ

@rankourabu: Are you saying it is not possible to get both SYD and NRT on the award ticket? Or was that referring to how it was originally routed (SYD-PEK-NRT)

What carriers would you recommend for the return routing? Would I still be able to stop in LIS on the way back?
Looks way over the MPM.
Dorian is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:49 pm
  #1027  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 4,614
This is a very ambitious itin. I think you will run into trouble with MPM.

Instead of guessing here whether the ticket is valid, you can always call AE call centre, give then your routing and ask then if the ticket will "validiate". There is no cost for this. You don't have to have seats on the planes for this either.

Similarity, punch in your route (or each segment) into ita software and you'll have a pretty good idea on what the fuel surcharge will cost. I'm guessing you are going to be around the $1,000 mark for all that flying.
worldtraveller73 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:51 pm
  #1028  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: YVR
Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Posts: 8,963
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
This is a very ambitious itin. I think you will run into trouble with MPM.
Looks like over 15k when only 12.1k is allowed for YYZSYD.
Dorian is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:51 am
  #1029  
formerly mattking2000
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DXB
Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Posts: 1,209
I punched in SYD-ICN-NRT-ZRH-LIS-YUL-YYZ (your return leg) and it amounts to 16573 miles, where you're only allowed 12.1k as noted earlier. The only way I can think of bringing this down to a reasonable amount is to find a published routing. Another way would be to open jaw SYD-ICN, which would bring your total down to 11409 miles (but that's a 10.5 hour flight), and I'm not sure if that breaks other rules.

As a further note, F class does not exist on the following routes in your itinerary, as they are configured up to J class cabins only:

FRA-IST -- However, if you fly LH F from YYZ-FRA and then take FRA-IST in LH J, you will get access to the FCT + the drive from the terminal to your plane.
SYD-ICN
NRT-ZRH (F does exist, but no longer open for AP redemptions)
ZRH-LIS
LIS-YUL (I don't even seem to be able to find a direct flight between these two cities for Jan 2014?)
YUL-YYZ

BKK-SYD has F for its direct flights, but none that stop in SIN (TG 471/475)
BA Humbug is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:04 am
  #1030  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, YYZ
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Posts: 1,002
OP, how about this itinerary? Probably doable with a mini-RTW:

YYZ-NRT (stop) on AC J or YYZ-SEA on AC J then SEA-NRT on NH F on 787!
NRT-BKK (stop) on TG J/F or NH J or NRT-ICN-BKK on OS J/F
BKK-SYD (stop) on TG F
SYD-SIN on SQ J
SIN-BKK-FRA on TG F (BKK-FRA is on A380)
FRA-LIS separately paid RT (should have lots of cheap domestic flights, even on LH)
FRA-YYZ on LH F or FRA-JFK on LH F or whichever US destination that has the new LH F product.

I would skip ZRH since LX F is not available anymore.

Agree that TG F would be better than SQ J and TG F is more available.
Use the United.com site and go under Reward booking to determine your itinerary and availability. Or use the *A RTW site to determine your routing and options.
gtpdiddy is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:59 am
  #1031  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,392
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
OP, how about this itinerary? Probably doable with a mini-RTW:

YYZ-NRT (stop) on AC J or YYZ-SEA on AC J then SEA-NRT on NH F on 787!
NRT-BKK (stop) on TG J/F or NH J or NRT-ICN-BKK on OS J/F
BKK-SYD (stop) on TG F
SYD-SIN on SQ J
SIN-BKK-FRA on TG F (BKK-FRA is on A380)
FRA-LIS separately paid RT (should have lots of cheap domestic flights, even on LH)
FRA-YYZ on LH F or FRA-JFK on LH F or whichever US destination that has the new LH F product.

I would skip ZRH since LX F is not available anymore.

Agree that TG F would be better than SQ J and TG F is more available.
Use the United.com site and go under Reward booking to determine your itinerary and availability. Or use the *A RTW site to determine your routing and options.
That looks good except no F on 787 (unless the swapped 777 stays). And then I would also guess YQ is over 1200 unless OP is okay with that.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:57 am
  #1032  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
I had a looked on the A* tool, and see availability for the dates I want in J class with a YYZ-SEA (UA J) + SEA-NRT (NH J).

While I wait for AP to answer their phones and validate the routing, is it possible to do YYZ-ORD (UA J) and ORD-NRT (NH F) without disturbing the rest of the itinerary? There is availability and it is a "published" route
jetset09 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:08 am
  #1033  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by jetset09
...
YYZ-FRA ( LH F)
Pro: Experience the LH First class terminal + chauffeur drive
Con: Availability opens up 14 days out and fuel charges are very high

FRA-IST (TG F)
Pro: Travel on the A380
Con: fuel surcharge

BKK-SIN-SYD (SQ F- I have been reading this is not possible to book with AP. Would be OK with business class

SYD-PEK-NRT (AIR CHINA)

NRT-ZRH-LIS (TAP)

LIS-YUL-YYZ (Swiss)
- you will not get access to the FCT if your onwards flight is not with LH / LX in F. So if you plan on continuing with TG on FRA-BKK you will only get access to the FCL (which is not bad at all, just not like the FCT). If you *REALLY* want to do both, do YYZ-FRA-CDG-BKK. Mind you - YYZ-FRA is served by an old 346, do not fly that. Try to go YYZ-YUL-MUC-FRA as that should give you the new 33P layout, which has MUCH nicer seats. Also: then you can stop by Munich, which is a much more interesting city than Frankfurt You should still be able to do YYZ-YUL-MUC-FRA-CDG-BKK.
- do not worry about fuel surcharges. If your goal is using the points that you have diligently accumulated, who cares about +/- $1K for an F flight? (seriously)
- don't do CA as Dorian said. Not worth it. That said, I am not convinced you can do BOTH PEK and NRT - I know there are published routings ex-SYD through either, but I doubt you can get BOTH in.
- LIS-YUL-YYZ on LX? You must mean LIS-ZRH-YUL-YYZ, but this will be HARD to get on LX.

I don't have the MPM handy but check that - I think you MIGHT be over.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:19 am
  #1034  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
@Pseudo Nim. Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the itinerary that gtpdiddy suggested later in the thread that still checks all the goals off:

YYZ-SEA (stop)
SEA-NRT NH J (I think the 787 will be up and running by '14, so no F class here)
NRT-BKK (stop) TG F
BKK-SYD (stop) on TG F
SYD-SIN on SQ J
SIN-BKK-FRA on TG F
FRA-LIS separately paid RT (should have lots of cheap domestic flights, even on LH)
FRA-YYZ on LH F

Looking for is it possible to do YYZ-ORD (UA J) and ORD-NRT (NH F) without disturbing the rest of the itinerary? This way I can get F to NRT, since I am paying high YQ anyway. There is availability and it is a "published" route
jetset09 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:23 am
  #1035  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by jetset09
@Pseudo Nim. Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the itinerary that gtpdiddy suggested later in the thread that still checks all the goals off:

YYZ-SEA (stop)
SEA-NRT NH J (I think the 787 will be up and running by '14, so no F class here)
NRT-BKK (stop) TG F
BKK-SYD (stop) on TG F
SYD-SIN on SQ J
SIN-BKK-FRA on TG F
FRA-LIS separately paid RT (should have lots of cheap domestic flights, even on LH)
FRA-YYZ on LH F

Looking for is it possible to do YYZ-ORD (UA J) and ORD-NRT (NH F) without disturbing the rest of the itinerary? This way I can get F to NRT, since I am paying high YQ anyway. There is availability and it is a "published" route
Agreed, this is a much better itinerary and much more doable. YYZ-ORD-NRT is fine, although I wonder whether I'd choose UA "First" or NH Business with washlets

Suggwst you check YYZ-(LAX/SFO)-ICN-NRT on OZ. That's a true first class.
Pseudo Nim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.