Mini RTW Questions

Old May 3, 2012, 5:16 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YOW-YUL-YHZ
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by rankourabu
UA will have to get you to Berlin - lots of options from EWR - including very late FRA/LHR flights. You will probably get rebooked in revenue buckets = free miles. Missing your connection in EWR on a scale of disaster would be at most a 2/10 (unless you are taking the last FRA flight, than 4/10)
Thanks for the quick response. That's what I figured. Wasn't sure if it was different due to it being a reward flight.

And free miles? Nice possible compensation for what's likely to be only a few lost hours. No complaints here.
headhunter is offline  
Old May 4, 2012, 11:38 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 4,613
Originally Posted by InsaneTravel
Thank You Very Much WorldTraveller73


Is there a reason I can't book TAM with points? LIM-SCL-GRU ... YYZ sounds like a possibility.




I can't find the post but I thought you could get 1 to 1 or slightly better going from Aeroplan to Points.com to Petrocan to RBC Avion to British Airways while the Avion 50% bonus to British Airways was on.



I.T.
I don't believe that TAM flies the LIM-SCL-GRU in that order, I think you can do LIM-GRU-SCL. This was a $1,200 USD revenue ticket when you can go LIM-SCL return on LAN for $450 USD. You'd just have to be sure that you're within MPM (+/- 5%) for the destination. It would add up lots of segments too and maybe not worth it for what you'd get on TAM business from the other trip reports on the board.

I don't know much about the points.com promotions. The BA promotion is usually in the late fall quarter but I don't think it's as great a deal since they devalued Avios last year.

Good luck.
worldtraveller73 is offline  
Old May 8, 2012, 8:04 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 616
Not a true mini-RTW but I could use some help here.

is the following valid? I have a feeling the maximum permitted mileage is exceeded here.

YUL-ORD
ORD-ICN
ICN-SYD (POT)
SYD-BKK
BKK-TPE (STOP)
TPE-HND
HND-HNL (STOP)
HNL-YVR
YVR-YUL
illico is offline  
Old May 8, 2012, 8:10 pm
  #274  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,393
Sorry SYD via Asia is too long... I can go via a published route but it seems to require SQ via SIN
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 8, 2012, 8:13 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Posts: 1,009
MPM for YUL-SYD is as follows:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.9.R3/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: YUL-SYD]
Code:
                                                                
         GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      PA   11960   12558   13156   13754   14352   14950
Since AE only allows 5% over MPM, this route would have to be under 12558 miles.

YUL-ORD-ICN-SYD is 12463 miles, and should be allowed.
SYD-BKK-TPE-HND-HNL-YVR-YUL is 16381 , and therefore would not be allowed, unless there is a published routing for the route you are trying to take, which I highly doubt.
dinosims is offline  
Old May 9, 2012, 5:44 am
  #276  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto AC SE MM
Posts: 129
Ist mini...mini RTW

Just booked my first mini RTW for two

YYZ-SYD AC J
SIN-BKK TG J
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-YYZ AC J

Booked with first class miles (370,000),
Question: are the added fuel, taxes and fees of over $2500 fare?
Ramteid is offline  
Old May 9, 2012, 5:56 am
  #277  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by Ramteid
Just booked my first mini RTW for two

YYZ-SYD AC J
SIN-BKK TG J
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-YYZ AC J

Booked with first class miles (370,000),
Question: are the added fuel, taxes and fees of over $2500 fare?
lol... OUCH. I know you probably value speed (that's what I'm inferring based on the low number of segments) but I'd say that's an awful routing. besides being stuck in AC J and paying F mileage for just one segment, you're being gouged on the scamcharges. FTers to the rescue!!! but first - is least number of segments key? cause if so maybe you should just leave it. just think there are better ways of spending 370kilomiles.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old May 9, 2012, 6:13 am
  #278  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto AC SE MM
Posts: 129
Wanted to make sure our luggage got to Sydney for our 35 day cruise YYZ-SYD same plane.
Was offered YYZ-YUL-CDG-BKK-SYD to get to Sydney, I passed.
I guess TG is charging the extra fuel, taxes, fees as well, not a fan of the US products in J
Ramteid is offline  
Old May 16, 2012, 9:14 pm
  #279  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,147
NH Space

Does NH space display at all buggy? I'm looking at NRT-SEA, which seems to have good award space. The flight does not show up on Aeroplan, and only shows up on United if I put in like NRT-LAX. If I do that, it gives me the NH flight to SEA, and then the connection down to LAX. If I just put in NRT - SEA, it only gives me the UA flight. The flights show up with the ANA tool, but could that be space for their own members?

Do you guys think that flight is available or whatever is showing on UA with the connection is phantom space?

PS -- J on the NH 777-300 and 777-200 is fine, right?
mabramovich is offline  
Old May 17, 2012, 5:16 am
  #280  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Does NH space display at all buggy? I'm looking at NRT-SEA, which seems to have good award space. The flight does not show up on Aeroplan, and only shows up on United if I put in like NRT-LAX. If I do that, it gives me the NH flight to SEA, and then the connection down to LAX. If I just put in NRT - SEA, it only gives me the UA flight. The flights show up with the ANA tool, but could that be space for their own members?

Do you guys think that flight is available or whatever is showing on UA with the connection is phantom space?

PS -- J on the NH 777-300 and 777-200 is fine, right?
That's bizarre. I don't think ANA keeps space for its own members, but I could be wrong - I'd call Aeroplan and check just for that segment I guess. J cabin on NH is ... uneventful - it's not the Inspiration of Japan layout, so it's a standard non-flat seat. There's an uninspiring pic of it on ANA.co.jp
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old May 17, 2012, 6:54 am
  #281  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
That's bizarre. I don't think ANA keeps space for its own members, but I could be wrong - I'd call Aeroplan and check just for that segment I guess. J cabin on NH is ... uneventful - it's not the Inspiration of Japan layout, so it's a standard non-flat seat. There's an uninspiring pic of it on ANA.co.jp
How do you know it it's the Inspiration? It's a 77W and on the ANA tool it links to the seat map with the Inspiration layout. Is there somewhere to check what plane it is? I guess I could just post in the ANA forum.

And it's US miles I'm redeeming
mabramovich is offline  
Old May 17, 2012, 2:23 pm
  #282  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YFC
Programs: AC*50K
Posts: 104
I am planning a mini RTW starting at the end of August (2 persons). Here are my constrains: I have to be in HKT on Sept 1 and 2 and in Dresden from Sep 19 -21. Idealy I like to arrive in HKT on Aug 30 or 31 and leave Germany the week of Sep, 24.

YFC
YUL AC Y
LAX AC J overnight
ICN OZ J
BKK TG J overnight
HKT TG J STOP
BKK TG J
FRA TG J - STOP
YYZ AC Y
YFC AC Y


Alternative:
SFO (unfortunately it will take 3 legs to for YFC SFO)
OSA UA J
BKK TG J



We may want to spend some time in Vienna. For this we could take
BKK VIE OS J

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to get back from Europe in J. Any suggestions/comments on the options? Am I missing something?
YFCacademic is offline  
Old May 17, 2012, 2:46 pm
  #283  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by YFCacademic
I am planning a mini RTW starting at the end of August (2 persons). Here are my constrains: I have to be in HKT on Sept 1 and 2 and in Dresden from Sep 19 -21. Idealy I like to arrive in HKT on Aug 30 or 31 and leave Germany the week of Sep, 24.

YFC
YUL AC Y
LAX AC J overnight
ICN OZ J
BKK TG J overnight
HKT TG J STOP
BKK TG J
FRA TG J - STOP
YYZ AC Y
YFC AC Y


Alternative:
SFO (unfortunately it will take 3 legs to for YFC SFO)
OSA UA J
BKK TG J



We may want to spend some time in Vienna. For this we could take
BKK VIE OS J

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to get back from Europe in J. Any suggestions/comments on the options? Am I missing something?
Your itin is a bit hard to read re: which airline is serving which segment, but I understand you're on FRA-YYZ in Y. Besides not being advisable (assuming you're booking with Aeroplan, i.e. you're looking at some hefty fuel surcharges with Air Canada), I wouldn't worry otherwise - GENERALLY speaking AC will open up a seat or two between now and departure, and you can upgrade. You may need to split your itineraries between you and your companion if only a single AC seat opens, but even at the airport you can get upgraded last-minute (which is NOT the case for other airlines), so once again, it's probably a generally "safe" booking. I would be more concerned if it were LX or LH (and even those tend to open often).
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old May 17, 2012, 8:04 pm
  #284  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
So I looked up a potential RTW... want to go to LHR, but I am absolutely not paying $300 per person to fly in, and out of it. That's just highway robbery.

I'm thinking of doing YUL-ZRH-CDG, Eurostar to London and back, CDG-IST-HKG, stop, HKG-KIX, then KIX/NRT-something-YUL. That should be legit, right? Does TK still do Istanbul tours for its valued J guests? As for the return - I guess it'll depend on whether I can get an Inspiration of Japan seating, in which case I'll take NH, or not, in which case I'll find a UA flight.

Just for reference: multicity YUL-LHR, stop, LHR-NRT, stop, NRT-YUL prices out to $1,200 in taxes, and same via CDG is $960. Both are insane (both use AC/LH mostly), but still, what a difference.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old May 18, 2012, 10:47 am
  #285  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 3,009
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Just for reference: multicity YUL-LHR, stop, LHR-NRT, stop, NRT-YUL prices out to $1,200 in taxes, ...
It's a shame isn't it, that the "Free" Business award is being watered down to an upgrade award... when you can buy Y ticket YUL-NRT (Ok no via LHR) for the same money all-in.
beep88 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.