Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:38 am

OZ is good too. They release F 6months ish out?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
When I was looking over the Christmas Holidays of 2011 to adjust my reservation for Nov 2012, this is what I found:

LX - 2 seats were loaded at the 300 day mark for Europe - Asia and Europe - Montreal. Nothing Europe - Americas.

Again, this was my experience in Dec 2011, this may change on a whim without notice.
I don't see any LX F avalibility to Asia 330 days out...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

I'm taking my first ever mini-RTW in a few weeks with the following itinerary:

YVR (AC) - YYC (AC) - FRA (LH) - CDG (stop)
CDG (LX) - ZRH (LX) - BKK (stop)
BKK (TG) - NRT (AC) - YVR

All I have right now is an electronic itinerary/receipt and a booking reference number. Is this all I need at the airport and will all the necessary boarding passes be assigned at the AC counter in YVR for the first leg?

For the second leg of the trip, do I just go to the LX counter in CDG with my booking reference number?

Any other tips to help me prepare for this trip would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Actually, you don't even need those. I usually just show up with my passport. As long as you know the next destination and have a passport, you're good
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yammly

If you booked this trip in F, you are in for a treat. The ZRH-BKK flight is very nice, and a pre-flight dinner at the Zurich F lounge is always nice. Then the TG F lounge and 77W to NRT is also a nice touch.

Enjoy it!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveTO
If you booked this trip in F, you are in for a treat. The ZRH-BKK flight is very nice, and a pre-flight dinner at the Zurich F lounge is always nice. Then the TG F lounge and 77W to NRT is also a nice touch.

Enjoy it!
lol yeah and then you get a HARSH reality check on AC
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
lol yeah and then you get a HARSH reality check on AC
No kidding. I recall a flight with Mrs Mapleg earlier this year when , the FA asked if we wanted "champagne" (so called) or water/juice for the pre-departure drink. When we said champagne, she looked at us and said, "So, it is going to be one of those flights, is it?"

Just what you want to hear!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
No kidding. I recall a flight with Mrs Mapleg earlier this year when , the FA asked if we wanted "champagne" (so called) or water/juice for the pre-departure drink. When we said champagne, she looked at us and said, "So, it is going to be one of those flights, is it?"

Actually sounds to me like the FA was being human and having some fun. Correct answer would be, "Yep, better keep the bottles handy and close!"
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by mapleg

ahh air Canada. never know if serious or derisive. or desperately trying to make up for lack of everything by being funny.

Originally Posted by tyberius
Actually sounds to me like the FA was being human and having some fun. Correct answer would be, "Yep, better keep the bottles handy and close!"
I posit that when I'm sitting up front, I don't need humans. I need awesome
service and catering to my every need - not wily remarks (otherwise I'd get stuff like "hey you're young, you must be here on points eh?"). hehe. a friend got that once in a hotel. "oh staying for free on points eh? NICE." from the checkin desk clerk.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, PC Platinum
Make sure when you fly out of BKK on TG to get your massage at the spa!
for J class you get 30 mins and for F you get 60 mins.

I got a 30 min massage and it was really great. Just make sure you get there well in advance of your flight cuz there usually is a waiting list. BKK has a great airport and their lounge is pretty darn good too!

TG J class is quite poor in terms of Seats, IFE, food and even the staff (compared to other airlines in J). Don;t expect much from the actual flight...

out of curiosity, how much were the AP taxes?

All I have right now is an electronic itinerary/receipt and a booking reference number. Is this all I need at the airport and will all the necessary boarding passes be assigned at the AC counter in YVR for the first leg?

For the second leg of the trip, do I just go to the LX counter in CDG with my booking reference number?

Any other tips to help me prepare for this trip would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by DaveTO

Enjoy it!
my guess is a J trip, if booked in F i would suggest a more creative routing so there's more than just ZRH-BKK and BKK-NRT in F
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the great comments.

I actually planned this mini-RTW almost a year ago (120K miles) and was scheduled to fly LH (F) YYC - FRA until that route was cancelled. AC came to the rescue with their J flight without any additional fees. Oddly enough, they also replaced my original NH (J) NRT - SFO & UA (F) SFO - YVR flights with AC (J) at the same time, which was fine with me as I like the AC pods - FA service notwithstanding.

The total fees came to $234 last year, although I imagine they would be a lot higher if I were to book the same itinerary today. For a fun comparison, the total cost would be upwards of $28K if I were paying cash (not likely) for these same seats.

I hadn't realized it until today, but I have a 3 hour layover in Zurich so I'll be sure to take advantage of the free lounge meal. Unfortunately, I'm flying out of BKK at 07:35 so I'll likely have to pass on the massage.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Can you have 2 stop overs within Europe if you call AE?

ex. yyz-fco(stop)-zrh(stop)-ams(destination)-yyz?

Can't remember if you need a tpac flight to have the extra stopover..Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Hi,

Thanks for the great comments.

I actually planned this mini-RTW almost a year ago (120K miles) and was scheduled to fly LH (F) YYC - FRA until that route was cancelled. AC came to the rescue with their J flight without any additional fees. Oddly enough, they also replaced my original NH (J) NRT - SFO & UA (F) SFO - YVR flights with AC (J) at the same time, which was fine with me as I like the AC pods - FA service notwithstanding..
so hold on, they took away LH F, and replaced it with AC J, and did not refund you the difference in miles for the (very significant) downgrade?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
so hold on, they took away LH F, and replaced it with AC J, and did not refund you the difference in miles for the (very significant) downgrade?
my guess is the ZRH-BKK and BKK-NRT legs are still in F as it is an F award
yammly could probably have routed through YYZ for F flight to DUS, but guess a direct path on AC was offered and taken

the NRT-SFO-YYZ replaced with NRT-YYZ in AC J is also a nice touch imo

probably could have argued to have a portion of the miles refunded, maybe a max of 10k since the J/F difference was only 20k, really no point being that greedy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.