Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
This is a good point. I think once you stop, the city becomes a candidate for POT - and if it also happens to be the furthest one away, you're probably screwed.
I now wonder if I reverse my routing and start in Europe, end up in PER with a stop in JNB on the way to PER if my POT will be PER?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by sonomawine
There is hardly any availability in J on UA. The other issue is it is hard to get to IST from PER and avoid doubling up SIN. I apprecaite everyones input!
What's wrong with doubling up on SIN? Considering PER is the POT, that should be allowed. that said, it depends if you REALLY want to transit through JNB - if you give that up, there are probably a few new routes that'll open up for you.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
What's wrong with doubling up on SIN? Considering PER is the POT, that should be allowed. that said, it depends if you REALLY want to transit through JNB - if you give that up, there are probably a few new routes that'll open up for you.
Good point, I was under the impression I couldn't double back to SIN, but I obviously have misunderstood.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC

The only issue is that the Turn is JNB, and with no special promtional mileage offering for South Africa, I need to make the TURN in PER, and skip JNB and save over 70,000 miles per person.
Actually, there is a "special promotional mileage offering for South Africa". It is only 100k in J; normally, 150k.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:06 pm

Good point, I was under the impression I couldn't double back to SIN, but I obviously have misunderstood.
Yep, you should be able to as long as each is on out/inbound. Otherwise, think of it this way - you wouldn't be able to fly YUL-YYZ-NRT, NRT-YYZ-YUL!

Originally Posted by erasmus99
Actually, there is a "special promotional mileage offering for South Africa". It is only 100k in J; normally, 150k.
Ooh.... that isn't half bad!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Trying to assist a friend with booking a mini rtw and he would like to have a stop in TLV. Given that there are no *A carriers that fly east from TLV is this possible given that it would require backtracking through Europe via LH, TK, LX or LO?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by fly_yag
Trying to assist a friend with booking a mini rtw and he would like to have a stop in TLV. Given that there are no *A carriers that fly east from TLV is this possible given that it would require backtracking through Europe via LH, TK, LX or LO?
Yup, although MPM will be an issue. I saw someone book xxx-Germany-DME-FRA-eastwards and that was allowed (I can't remember if it was FRA-DME-FRA, ie backtracking into FRA or if it was another city). But TLV is pretty far out, so problems might come up.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by erasmus99
The agent quoted 150K per person, and told me to stick with PER to get the 80K special! Perhaps I will call back.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
What's better eastward or westward for a RTW trip?

Just wondering what's better on your body (jetlag) a RTW trip going eastward or the opposite? Anyone has any preference? Does it make any difference?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by uni3052
Just wondering what's better on your body (jetlag) a RTW trip going eastward or the opposite? Anyone has any preference? Does it make any difference?
That's a really good question. I find anything *away* from home is easier, and *coming back* is always harder, but I think that might be psychological
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by uni3052
I have always found going West is easier for me. More flights are during the day with departure and arrival times that work for my body...depart in the afternoon and arrive in the afternoon or early evening on a different continent.

Long-haul Eastward flights are almost always overnight...often with early AM arrivals when my body clock, which is 6-8 time zones behind, says time for bed.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I have always found going West is easier for me. More flights are during the day with departure and arrival times that work for my body...depart in the afternoon and arrive in the afternoon or early evening on a different continent.

Long-haul Eastward flights are almost always overnight...often with early AM arrivals when my body clock, which is 6-8 time zones behind, says time for bed.
I think my experience has always been that when travelling west, there's no choice BUT to fly, so I end up in my destination a day and a half later, with all the time in between hopelessly lost.

Whereas if I travel east, I can take redeyes and arrive in the morning, then bum around the city, then transfer and do another redeye. *body clock* wise it may not be the smartest/lightest thing to do, but if I cared about the body clock I wouldn't route my trip back to arrive at 7am so that I can get to work at 9am - just to maximise my time away from where I live/work.

But essentially, you hit the nail on the head: go west / arrive in the late afternoon / probably go for dinner, clock out, sleep, wake up at 5am awake like a rooster, and go about your business, and clock out around 3pm.

Go east, spend the night on the flight, arrive at 7-8am, have no choice but to stay up, go to sleep in the evening again (in the new timezone), arrive at 7-8am again, you're so confused by this point that you just soldier through the day and sleep. To be fair, don't forget that going east usually means easier breaks in the flight - so it might actually be LESS tiring as you'd never get a 14-15 hour flight going east (even FRA-KIX is like 10 hours long).

Whatever works, in the end

[edit] note that I subscribe to the above philosophy so religiously that now that I started travelling with my infant son, I drag him along exactly like that - instead of doing what most normal people with babies do, i.e. fly as direct as possible, I still do the above. Hehe.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; Dec 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:08 pm

Whats the MPM HKG to YYZ

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Asiana publishes...

PA01* /VIA THE PACIFIC/ CONSTRUCTED MPM 9370
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 800 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA STATE/PROVINCE USHI

UA has same requirements.

AC is routing based (on the few I checked) not MPM based.
But I called today and they said it was 15M, so isn't that MPM based?
Apparently
HKG-PVG-IST-ZRH-YUL-YYZ is valid.
and HKG-IST-ZRH-ORD-YYZ is valid.
BUt HKG-PVG-IST-ZRH-ORD-YYZ is not. O.o
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Apparently
try calling again, should be a published routing
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Apparently
It is within mileage. Call again.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.8.1/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: HKG-PVG-IST-ZRH-ORD-YYZ]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
HKG 3                                                           
SHA 3 EH   773   773   927  EH  0M   154     0  1158     0      
IST 2 EH  4968  5741  6781  EH  0M  1040     0  8476     0      
ZRH 2 EH  1107  6848  7592  EH  0M   744     0  9490     0      
CHI 1 AT  4433 11281 12696  AT  0M  1415     0 15870     0      
YTO 1 WH   430 11711 12214  AT  0M   503     0 15267     0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.