Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:57 pm

I don't think that's it otherwise I wouldn't be able to go LAX-ICN-NRT. Also, I've seen many examples of booked mini-rtw's that had some kind of backtracking.

Can one of you experts out there help me?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:23 pm

Still waiting for an answer to my question for anyone who's willing to help.

I called Aeroplan 4 times in the last couple days and got two agents who said my route was valid and two who said it wasn't. I know one of the mini-rtw experts here knows the correct answer...

Originally Posted by hedur
Can someone please help me understand MPM?

I know that LAX-BKK MPM + 5% is 10,402 via the Pacific, and 14,925 via the Atlantic. Since my outbound will be TPAC and my inbound TATL, I'm not sure which applies to me. I know there's no problem with my outbound:

LAX-ICN-NRT
NRT-BKK

But the agent told me my inbound wasn't valid:

BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA
FRA-LAX

According to great circle mappers, the mileage on that is 14,833 so if they're using the 14,925 number it should be valid. Just barely, but still.

When I brought up these numbers the agent said that in 10 years she had ever heard of such a thing and neither had her supervisor. Then she chastised me saying that it was inappropriate for me to be bringing up the numbers in the first place.

If someone could tell me if my route is valid or not and give the explanation for it, I'd really appreciate it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
Some mini rtw rules

Maximum segments 10

You r allowed 2 stopovers and your turnaround destination.

Eg.

Yyz-ICN stop
ICN- SIN

Then

Sin- FRA stop
FRA-YYZ

Or you can stop Twice on your way

Yyz-ICN stop
ICN-bkk stop
Bkk-sin

But return cannot have a stop

If you do an open jaw

YyZ-ICN stop
ICN-sin

Bkk-fra-yyz. You are only allowed one stopover

There are also mileage limits but I am not sure exactly what they are

Hope this helps
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:25 pm

Thanks for the reply but I only have two stops (NRT & FRA) and a POT (BKK).

Originally Posted by mboca28
But return cannot have a stop
This is not true. You can have two stops on the way to your POT, two stops after your POT, or your POT can be between two other stops.

I already know this is valid:

LAX-ICN-NRT (stop)
NRT-BKK (POT)
BKK-FRA (stop)
FRA-LAX

My question is if this is valid:

LAX-ICN-NRT (stop)
NRT-BKK (POT)
BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA (stop)
FRA-LAX

And if not, why not.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:21 am

Backtracking in different directions.

BKK-HKG-LAX or BKK-SIN-FRA-LAX.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by hedur
Thanks for the reply but I only have two stops (NRT & FRA) and a POT (BKK).

This is not true. You can have two stops on the way to your POT, two stops after your POT, or your POT can be between two other stops.

I already know this is valid:

LAX-ICN-NRT (stop)
NRT-BKK (POT)
BKK-FRA (stop)
FRA-LAX

My question is if this is valid:

LAX-ICN-NRT (stop)
NRT-BKK (POT)
BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA (stop)
FRA-LAX

And if not, why not.
I think there is a problem with the NRT-BKK (pot), then BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA since BKK-HKG seems to be backtracking a bit, which isn't allowed. Unless you can find this BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA as a published routing, this likely can't be booked.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
MPM is applied to each direction separately. So, you'd use the PA MPM for your outbound, and the AT MPM for the inbound.

Your inbound trip (BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA-LAX) should be a valid routing under MPM (which is 14215) since the TPM is 14824, which is less than MPM+5% (14926). I suspect the agents that are allowing that routing are going by the MPM only. The agents that aren't are looking at the routing and seeing that it backtracks up into HKG, and declining it on that basis.

As to whether or not backtracking is allowed is something that seems to be variable, based on the agent you talk to.

But your routing should be good under MPM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:19 am
c00

Programs: AC*G
I am wondering if this would be a valid mini RTW itinerary:

MUC - BEJ or HKG (stop) - SYD or AKL (destination) - HNL (stop) - MUC

My original plan is to fly this route:

MUC-BEJ-HKG-SYD-AKL-HNL-SFO (or LAX or YVR)-MUC

but maybe it would be cheaper to use some AC miles on the mini RTW above and pay with cash for the remaining flights, even if that would mean excess travel (e.g. BEJ<->HKG and SYD<->AKL) and I would need to cut the mainland US/Canada stopover on the way back.

Can anyone of the resident experts tell me if that makes sense? The Aeroplan online tool only seems to allow two stopovers (or one stopover, one OJ).
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:46 am

YYC-HKT mini-RTW Routing help needed.

Dear FT'ers,

I currently have the following award ticket booked:

YYC-LAX-ICN-HKG-(stop)-HKT-HKG-(stop)-SFO-YYC

The outbound Tpac segment is on OZ in F but the return is in dreaded UA F.
In order to avoid "wasting" 175K on UA F I am thinking of turning this into a mini-RTW.

Would anyone be able to tell me if the follwoing routing would work or am I running up against the MPM limit in addition to potential backtracking problems with the CDG-ZRH segement (BKK-FRA is not available on the dates I need to travel)?

YYC-LAX-ICN-HKG-(stop)-HKT-BKK-CDG-ZRH-YUL-(stop)-YYC

Assuming the routing is valid, in terms of fees, would I be better to end in YUL making it an open jaw and use a flight pass credit worth about 450$ to get from YUL to YYC (that would be my only segment on AC metal....).

Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Welcome to FT fellow Albertan and mini-RTW'er!

It's valid but good luck getting F in LX for your ZRH-YUL leg! LH and LX F now only open up at the last minute. LH sounds like 2 weeks out with LX even closer. You could book J and gamble. Crappy thing is, if your trip is longer than a couple of weeks you have to manage your return upgrade while on vacay.

UA F isn't that bad if you don't fly F a lot. Too bad you didn't do this a couple of weeks ago as you could have gotten into SQ F. We totally lucked out and the SQ 777 even got upgraded to an A380 with suites.

I'd guess your fees will go up too with the itinerary modifications along with the $90 per person change fee.

Have a great trip! We go to a little place a few hours south of HKT every year and absolutely love it there. Except when the missus gets Dengue hemorrhagic fever...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
LX F is no longer released to partners. At all. Just try and book anything over the next 355 days. Unfortunately the only transatlantic First worth taking is Lufthansa, and they open for partner awards on the following schedule:

(1) Flights from MUC/DUS open 14 days prior to departure.
(2) Flights from FRA open 7 days prior to departure.
(3) Flights on an A380 open 48 hours prior to departure.

I would keep monitoring all your options, and if nothing opens up, make a play for a last minute change to LH F. Try something like HKT-(TG)-BKK-FRA-YYZ/ORD-YYC.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull
(1) Flights from MUC/DUS open 14 days prior to departure.
(2) Flights from FRA open 7 days prior to departure.
(3) Flights on an A380 open 48 hours prior to departure.
Interesting.... but I don't think this is correct. For example, right now (7/29) I can see various dates in August and even September available as a First reward on aeroplan.com:

8/3 LH710 FRA NRT A380
8/4 LH710 FRA NRT A380

9/7 LH710 FRA NRT A380

8/7 LH711 NRT FRA A380
8/8 LH711 NRT FRA A380
8/10 LH711 NRT FRA A380

9/3 LH711 NRT FRA A380

That being said, despite LX dropping out (which is a shame, as it's really a great experience), if you're able to plan something relatively short notice, I think you can still find decent choices including LH, TG, OZ....
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by arcticbull
LX F is no longer released to partners. At all. Just try and book anything over the next 355 days. Unfortunately the only transatlantic First worth taking is Lufthansa
When I booked a couple of weeks ago I was sure I read of folks being able to book LX, albeit on _very_ short notice. Maybe it's changed since then though? We've yet to try the LX F YUL<->ZRH, but from all accounts, it's up there and definitely worth taking if you can swing it. I personally think the beds will put LH higher as we've thoroughly enjoyed the LH food/drink/service in F so can't see LX's putting them ahead without beds.

Originally Posted by okazon69
if you're able to plan something relatively short notice, I think you can still find decent choices including LH, TG, OZ....
TG and OZ are bookable way out as usual. I believe it was just LH and LX that changed to be short notice. Which is extremely unfortunately for the NA<->EU options as we flew twice on LH 747's with the new F bed configurations and it was heavenly.

P.S. YYCleisureTraveller, read this and see if you can do it also!! EDIT: Nevermind I think that person is a KrisFlyer member.

Last edited by RoninTech; Jul 29, 2012 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:13 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by okazon69
Interesting.... but I don't think this is correct. For example, right now (7/29) I can see various dates in August and even September available as a First reward on aeroplan.com:

8/3 LH710 FRA NRT A380
8/4 LH710 FRA NRT A380

9/7 LH710 FRA NRT A380

8/7 LH711 NRT FRA A380
8/8 LH711 NRT FRA A380
8/10 LH711 NRT FRA A380

9/3 LH711 NRT FRA A380

That being said, despite LX dropping out (which is a shame, as it's really a great experience), if you're able to plan something relatively short notice, I think you can still find decent choices including LH, TG, OZ....
These are likely "phantom" availability -- when you click on these flights to proceed to the booking page, the website will usually give you an error message. Similar issue on united.com.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
These are likely "phantom" availability -- when you click on these flights to proceed to the booking page, the website will usually give you an error message. Similar issue on united.com.
You are correct... sadly:

THE ITINERARY YOU REQUESTED IS NOT AVAILABLE

We’re sorry, but due to real-time availability, the itinerary you requested is no longer available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.