Mini RTW Questions

Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
MEL will be your POT, because the MPM for MEL is greater than AKL.

NZ J a pain in the butt to get and FYI, NRT-AKL has been downgauged to a 767-300 which offers a regional J seat as opposed to a pod!
Are you sure? I'm flying NZ99 in a few months (AKL-NRT day flight) and the seat map shows a 1-2-1 herringbone layout...

When I called NZ they confirmed it was a 777-200 operating. My Aeroplan ticket DOES says it's a 763...so now I'm confused!

EDIT: According to NZ website it depends on the days of the week. Try this to check if your dates fit and make sure to get a 772!.

Last edited by gabdusch; Aug 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch
Are you sure? I'm flying NZ99 in a few months (AKL-NRT day flight) and the seat map shows a 1-2-1 herringbone layout...

When I called NZ they confirmed it was a 777-200 operating. My Aeroplan ticket DOES says it's a 763...so now I'm confused!

EDIT: According to NZ website it depends on the days of the week. Try this to check if your dates fit and make sure to get a 772!.
check a few months later....... (ie. oct, nov)

it was an announcement a few months back regarding the downgauge...... they should do the 763 to china!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:47 pm

I don't know if this belongs to here, or it should be a new thread.

So I book via the HNL glitch, but I want to change the departure date of first leg. The original routing was YYZ->SFO->HNL, but that route is no longer available on the alternative dates I want. Will the agent help me or they will cancel my ticket after seeing I book through a glitch?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: KE MC
Please check the validity of route

I made this route for my graduation trip. Please check if it is valid routing.

ICN - PEK (CA J)
PEK - IST - CDG (Stop) (TK J)
CDG - BRU - JFK (Stop) (SN J)
EWR - CUN (Stop) - IAD - (GVA) - ZRH (UA J)
ZRH - PEK (LX J)
PEK - ICN (CA J)

total: 22846 mi by gcmap

whenever I multi-city search route like (ICN-CDG(flight1), CDG-CUN(flight2), CUN-ICN(flight3)) at aeroplan.com, this route only requires 105K(why???) but I cannot select the third flights because a lot of flights are displayed but buttons are disabled to click. Why this things happen? Is it because this is invalid routing? I don't think this route does exceed MPM. right??
Please give me any advice. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by kenneth_lee; Aug 27, 2012 at 7:44 am
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:54 am

technology limitation, call to Aeroplan and book through an agent ($30 fee applies)

Originally Posted by kenneth_lee
I made this route for my graduation trip. Please check if it is valid routing.

ICN - PEK (CA J)
PEK - IST - CDG (Stop) (TK J)
CDG - BRU - JFK (Stop) (SN J)
EWR - CUN (Stop) - IAD - (GVA) - ZRH (UA J)
ZRH - PEK (LX J)
PEK - ICN (CA J)

total: 22846 mi by gcmap

whenever I multi-city search route like (ICN-CDG(flight1), CDG-CUN(flight2), CUN-ICN(flight3)) at aeroplan.com, this route only requires 105K(???) but I cannot select the third flights because a lot of flights are displayed but buttons are disabled to click. Why this things happen? Is it because this is invalid routing? I don't think this route does not exceed MPM. right??
Please give me any advice. Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: KE MC
Thanks,

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
technology limitation, call to Aeroplan and book through an agent ($30 fee applies)
Does this(Multi-city routes are displayed but cannot be selected at AE.com) mean this route is valid? Or, you don't know yet whether it is valid or not? Is it worth to try booking? Sorry for asking too many dumb questions..
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kenneth_lee
Does this(Multi-city routes are displayed but cannot be selected at AE.com) mean this route is valid? Or, you don't know yet whether it is valid or not? Is it worth to try booking? Sorry for asking too many dumb questions..
Nothing to do with whether route is valid...AE.com cannot handle all kinds of requests, especially stringing together a number of flights into one award (eg the typical mini-rtw).

Only way to find out if yours is valid is to phone in and try to book it.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I am planning the following trip but having issues understanding the MPM rules, could anyone help me out on whether or not this itinerary is legal? Also, can I Open Jaw the first stop as I have (NRT/KIX)?

LHR-IST (TK J)
IST-NRT (TK J)
STOP/OPEN JAW
KIX-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-DPS (SQ J)
STOP
DPS-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-IST (TK J)
IST-LHR (TK J)

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by seegs
I am planning the following trip but having issues understanding the MPM rules, could anyone help me out on whether or not this itinerary is legal? Also, can I Open Jaw the first stop as I have (NRT/KIX)?

LHR-IST (TK J)
IST-NRT (TK J)
STOP/OPEN JAW
KIX-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-DPS (SQ J)
STOP
DPS-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-IST (TK J)
IST-LHR (TK J)

Thanks for the help!
No, your destination would be DPS (and applicable miles would be charged), and you would have to check the MPM for LHR-DPS - and see if KIX/NRT is within the allowance.

one solution would be to do
LHR-NRT
KIX-BKK(stop)or SIN(stop)-LHR <-This may not be within MPM tho.
and buy your own BKK-DPS, which cant be that expensive.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
... and also, I don't think KIX/NRT open jaw would be allowed. Sadly.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, your destination would be DPS (and applicable miles would be charged), and you would have to check the MPM for LHR-DPS - and see if KIX/NRT is within the allowance.

one solution would be to do
LHR-NRT
KIX-BKK(stop)or SIN(stop)-LHR <-This may not be within MPM tho.
and buy your own BKK-DPS, which cant be that expensive.
LHR-DPS = 7785 miles, so MPM+5% is 16342 (7785x2 +5%).

LHR-NRT-KIX-DPS-LHR = 17312 so it looks like this is not allowed (if I calculated this correctly)

I am going to look into alternatives to DPS, somewhere in Thailand perhaps that has nice resorts and beaches. Shame because I was really looking forward to mixing Bali into this holiday.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
... and also, I don't think KIX/NRT open jaw would be allowed. Sadly.
So Open Jaw has to be the point of turnaround only and the point of turnaround MUST be the furthest STOP from your outbound airport?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
LHR-DPS = 7785 miles, so MPM+5% is 16342 (7785x2 +5%).

LHR-NRT-KIX-DPS-LHR = 17312 so it looks like this is not allowed (if I calculated this correctly)

I am going to look into alternatives to DPS, somewhere in Thailand perhaps that has nice resorts and beaches. Shame because I was really looking forward to mixing Bali into this holiday.
MPM is per direction usually so you count each way.

So Open Jaw has to be the point of turnaround only and the point of turnaround MUST be the furthest STOP from your outbound airport?
That's unfortunately right. OJ can also be point of departure (ie depart LHR but return to CDG). Maybe take the Eurostar to CDG or better yet, fly from DUB?

Btw, just as an aside: DO NOT fly LHR-NRT. Your APD (LHR tax) will be horrendous.

[edit] check this: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...er-duty.16198/
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:28 pm

MPM is per direction usually so you count each way.
I'm very confused about calculating MPM using Great Circle Mapper. I find my point of turnaround, double that number and add 5%? My flight plan (stops but not connection cities) must not exceed this?

That's unfortunately right. OJ can also be point of departure (ie depart LHR but return to CDG). Maybe take the Eurostar to CDG or better yet, fly from DUB?
Can I fly CDG on outbound but inbound to LHR to avoid taxes?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Can I fly CDG on outbound but inbound to LHR to avoid taxes?
yes, but then you give up your open jaw in Asia

Also, beware of scamcharges, the money Air Canada pockets, but misleads you by naming it a fuel surcharge. This will apply to any LH, OS, LO, NH or TG flights.

You cannot calculate the MPM using Great Circle Mapper, it is an arbitrary number you can find using KVS.

This may be of help, use MPM+5:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: LHR-NRT]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      TS    7800    8190    8580    8970    9360    9750     
MPM      EH    9543   10020   10497   10974   11451   11928     
MPM      AP   11518   12093   12669   13245   13821   14397

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: KIX-LHR]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      TS    7800    8190    8580    8970    9360    9750     
MPM      EH    9543   10020   10497   10974   11451   11928     
MPM      AP   11518   12093   12669   13245   13821   14397

AP = between Area 2 and Area 3 via the Atlantic and the Pacific

EH = between Area 2 and Area 3 via Eastern Hemisphere

TS = between Area 2 and Area 3 (Trans Siberian route) with a sector having nonstop service between Europe and Japan/Korea

Looks like you get a bigger allowance if you DO NOT fly from Europe (IST included) directly into Japan. ie. go IST-PEK-NRT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.