Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
It's only done by outbound/return, so do one at a time.

I think if you are only over by "a few" miles (like under 100-200) they MIGHT let it slip by. I was over at one point and they allowed the routing. Maybe depends on the agent.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by CdnConsultant
I'm trying to plan out my first Mini-RTW and have a couple questions. I'm trying to do a trip from YWG, and want to hit LVI (Zambia) and DXB (Dubai), and then a 3rd stop that I'm flexible on (say Capetown). This is my first shot at an itinerary:

YWG-YYZ
YYZ-JFK
JFK-JNB
JNB-LVI (stop)
LVI-MQP
MQP-CPT (turn)
CPT-DXB (stop)
DXB-FRA
FRA-YYZ
YYZ-YWG

I think MPM for YWG-CPT is 11,374.

Is the MPM calculation for the whole trip, or for each "half". Do I just need to make sure my entire itinerary is within MPM*1.05 of YWG-CPT-YWG (23,884), or do I need to constrain each half of my itinerary before and after the turn to be within 11,942?

The itinerary above is over the total MPM (23,884) by 194 miles. Any ideas on tweaks to make it legal? Worst case I'll set the turn to be JNB and just book separate tix JNB-LVI-JNB.
MPM is one way. YWG-YYZ-JFK-JNB-LVI-MQP-CPT is 11,441 according to gcmap. Is 11,374 MPM zero, or MPM5? If MPM5, then 5% is already there, and your itinerary exceeds allowed MPM. If 11,374 is MPM zero, then you are fine for outbound. You return is 12,637 which is over MPM and would not work. I don't think it is possible to squeeze LVI and DXB in one award.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by echino
MPM is one way. YWG-YYZ-JFK-JNB-LVI-MQP-CPT is 11,441 according to gcmap. Is 11,374 MPM zero, or MPM5? If MPM5, then 5% is already there, and your itinerary exceeds allowed MPM. If 11,374 is MPM zero, then you are fine for outbound. You return is 12,637 which is over MPM and would not work. I don't think it is possible to squeeze LVI and DXB in one award.
11,374 is MPM0. 11,942 is MPM5.

If I make the turn in JNB instead of CPT I think that will help. JNB is slightly farther from YWG than CPT (68 miles), so I assume the MPM will be at least as high if not higher. It's also closer to DXB (765 miles).

YWG-YYZ
YYZ-JFK
JFK-JNB (turn) [9272 miles]
* separate paid ticket JNB-LVI-JNB
JNB-DXB (stop)
DXB-FRA
FRA-YYZ
YYZ-YWG [11,873 miles]

Thoughts? This way I have an extra stop too, so I could hang out in NYC or FRA for a few days I suppose.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by CdnConsultant
11,374 is MPM0. 11,942 is MPM5.

If I make the turn in JNB instead of CPT I think that will help. JNB is slightly farther from YWG than CPT (68 miles), so I assume the MPM will be at least as high if not higher. It's also closer to DXB (765 miles).

YWG-YYZ
YYZ-JFK
JFK-JNB (turn) [9272 miles]
* separate paid ticket JNB-LVI-JNB
JNB-DXB (stop)
DXB-FRA
FRA-YYZ
YYZ-YWG [11,873 miles]

Thoughts? This way I have an extra stop too, so I could hang out in NYC or FRA for a few days I suppose.
I don't think there is a direct flight JNB-DXB. You will need to do something like JNB-ADD-DXB (ET, not the best airline), which may or may not be under MPM. Otherwise looks OK. There will be a challenge finding availability.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just wondering if anyone can give me their 2 cents re: a schedule change in my mini RTW that I booked a few months ago for July. The itinerary is as follows:

YOW-YYZ - AC Y
YYZ-ORD - UA J
ORD-NRT - NH F
NRT-HKG - NH J
HKG-BKK - TG F
BKK-MUC - TG F
MUC-VIE - OS J
VIE-FRA - OS J
FRA-ORD - UA F
ORD-YOW - UA J

Every once in awhile I check my itinerary to make sure there haven't been any schedule changes and when I checked the other day, the AE website wouldn't let me pull it up which based on past experience usually means some sort of itinerary change, thus I checked all of the flights and it appears that my YYZ-ORD on UA J has been downgraded to Y only and the timing has changed slightly.

Given that I think I will be making another couple itinerary changes including changing the FRA-ORD to LH F when it finally opens up a few weeks out, do you think I will be able to make multiple changes under the guise of the original downgauge and not have to pay the change fee? I realize that UA Y isn't the worst case scenario for a less than 2 hr flight, however, since I am entitled to and initially booked J, I shouldn't have an issue requesting the change to an earlier flight on AC without paying for any YQ.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
Just wondering if anyone can give me their 2 cents re: a schedule change in my mini RTW that I booked a few months ago for July. The itinerary is as follows:

YOW-YYZ - AC Y
YYZ-ORD - UA J
ORD-NRT - NH F
NRT-HKG - NH J
HKG-BKK - TG F
BKK-MUC - TG F
MUC-VIE - OS J
VIE-FRA - OS J
FRA-ORD - UA F
ORD-YOW - UA J

Every once in awhile I check my itinerary to make sure there haven't been any schedule changes and when I checked the other day, the AE website wouldn't let me pull it up which based on past experience usually means some sort of itinerary change, thus I checked all of the flights and it appears that my YYZ-ORD on UA J has been downgraded to Y only and the timing has changed slightly.

Given that I think I will be making another couple itinerary changes including changing the FRA-ORD to LH F when it finally opens up a few weeks out, do you think I will be able to make multiple changes under the guise of the original downgauge and not have to pay the change fee? I realize that UA Y isn't the worst case scenario for a less than 2 hr flight, however, since I am entitled to and initially booked J, I shouldn't have an issue requesting the change to an earlier flight on AC without paying for any YQ.
I suspect you should be able to change to another AC flight for free, but they might see through the ruse when you try to reroute your UA flights to LH. Not sure. The reason for the downgrade is maybe because they swapped to a one-cabin plane?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: AC Peon / Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah doesn't look too good:

Code:
ZRHSIN-** 23APR13

TICKETED POINT SURCHARGES APPLY.
    GI      M        5M       10M       15M       20M       25M

MPM EH   8010      8410      8811      9211      9612     10012
MPM TS  11203     11763     12323     12883     13443     14003
Code:
ZRHBKK-** 23APR13

TICKETED POINT SURCHARGES APPLY.
    GI      M        5M       10M       15M       20M       25M

MPM EH   7207      7567      7927      8288      8648      9008
MPM TS  10671     11204     11738     12271     12805     13338
However, I believe ZRH-NRT-SIN is a published routing, so you should be able to do that.

On the way back, SIN-MLE-IST-ZRH is completely legal and you should have no issue with it.

The really frustrating thing is that SIN-BKK-MLE-IST-ZRH falls within MPM, but there is no BKK-MLE flight on *A, so you can't get there! AAaaaaand you can't even do an open jaw SIN->MLE, because you'd need to buy SIN-BKK and BKK-MLE, which will probably get pretty expensive, and you might as well just buy SIN-BKK-SIN.

I can't think of any way of fitting BKK into that routing - sorry maybe someone has a crazy idea that I cannot see.
Thanks again Pseudo Nim! Appreciate your support.

Actually, I wanted to use SIN as our base in SE Asia so now I just need to convince the wife-to-be. I will entice her with the prospect of chili crab.

A follow question: How I can check if ZRH-NRT-SIN is a published route? And does a layover in IST impact it?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:35 am

I think someone mentioned it upthread and it's also on ExpertFlyer and it's also somewhat logical for NH. I'll look it up on EF today though. But yeah, if you go to IST it breaks the routing. So you can't do it on the outbound, but you could on the return.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
multiple stops

Hi,

With aeroplan can you do multiple stops

EG
OUTGOING YUL-EWR-PBI-LAS-HNL
RETURNING HNL-EWR-YUL
Old May 3, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by camelari
Hi,

With aeroplan can you do multiple stops

EG
OUTGOING YUL-EWR-PBI-LAS-HNL
RETURNING HNL-EWR-YUL
One stop is permitted:

28.1. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

26.2.1. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.
These are the rules:
https://www3.aeroplan.com/terms_and_...tion=rewardair
Old May 4, 2013, 9:02 pm

Looking for a little help in reviewing the following itinerary I found (all in Y):

YYZ-CAI MS
CAI-KUL MS (Stop)
KUL-SIN SQ
SIN-SYD SQ (Turnaround)
SYD-AKL NZ (Stop)
AKL-LAX NZ
LAX-ORD UA
ORD-YYZ AC

I'm not entirely clear on the MPM rules and am worried the mileage on the inbound portion to SYD might be too high. For those that have a better understanding than I: just by eyeballing it, am I okay here, or is it way over?

Also, would it be permissible to do an open jaw by removing the KUL-SIN portion? If the open jaw is possible here, I was thinking of taking an Air Asia flight KUL-SIN to spend a little more time in SIN.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cityexpressytz
Looking for a little help in reviewing the following itinerary I found (all in Y):

YYZ-CAI MS
CAI-KUL MS (Stop)
KUL-SIN SQ
SIN-SYD SQ (Turnaround)
SYD-AKL NZ (Stop)
AKL-LAX NZ
LAX-ORD UA
ORD-YYZ AC
!
you cant remove KUL-SIN in the middle of the itinerary.

It seems that anything going thru SIN is valid via the Atlantic, so based on past experiences, you should be ok.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
you cant remove KUL-SIN in the middle of the itinerary.

It seems that anything going thru SIN is valid via the Atlantic, so based on past experiences, you should be ok.
Thanks for the info, just booked this itinerary! This forum has been a huge help in getting it put together.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cityexpressytz
Thanks for the info, just booked this itinerary! This forum has been a huge help in getting it put together.
Can you post it here, including cost of fees?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ineraries.html

I hope youre not a boozer - no booze on MS
Old May 28, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Are the 3 Moscow airports considered the same city? I'm guessing yes since the NYC airports are.....

I'm thinking of doing the following and wondering if someone can advise if it's valid:

YUL-ZRH-DME(destination)VKO-TXL(Stop)-DBV(Stop)-ZRH-YUL

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.