Mini RTW Questions

Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by lowside67
Indeed - the only routings you can be reasonably certain you can book are BOS-ZRH and YUL-ZRH. There is sparse availability on MIA-ZRH and damn near none on LAX-ZRH, JFK-ZRH, or ORD-ZRH.
Which is weird because YUL-ZRH is a pretty premium routing on the 333 with new J, which is not the case for some of the US routes that fly the older config 343... wonder why.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
I believe the only one that flies the 343 is actually LAX-ZRH, all the others are flying the 333. There are 3 flights out of JFK though, I may have only checked one.

Personally I would rather fly on the 343 from LAX and be able to sleep all night (11h15min flight) then a 4 hour flight to YUL and then a 7 hour flight to ZRH.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Which is weird because YUL-ZRH is a pretty premium routing on the 333 with new J, which is not the case for some of the US routes that fly the older config 343... wonder why.
All LX 343's have been retrofitted with the same new J as the 333's. Only in F is there a difference.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC*E35
I'm trying to book my first ever mini-RTW, and I'm a little worried about going over my MPM

My routing is

YUL-ORD (UA)
ORD-ARN (SAS)

STOP

ARN-IST (TK)
IST-SIN (TK)
SIN-HKG (SQ)

STOP/TURNAROUND

HKG-PVG (CA)
PVG-EWR (UA)
EWR-YUL (AC)

My mileage on the outbound section is 13,370 and the return is 8,396

I don't have access to KVS but I suspect my outbound segment is probably a bit over if I use HKG as my turnaround... What do people think?

Also I read that you probably can't use SIN as a turnaround because I'm not stopping there?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:38 pm

From ExpertFlyer, it appears the MPM5 value for YUL-HKG travelling atlantic is 12,414 and travelling pacific is 10,254.

MPM5 for YUL-SIN is 13,013 atlantic and 12,215 pacific.

All you need to do is spend a day at SIN and you can use it as your turn point, you still have a stop left for ARN and a 3rd for HKG since you aren't doing an open jaw.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by lowside67
From ExpertFlyer, it appears the MPM5 value for YUL-HKG travelling atlantic is 12,414 and travelling pacific is 10,254.

MPM5 for YUL-SIN is 13,013 atlantic and 12,215 pacific.

All you need to do is spend a day at SIN and you can use it as your turn point, you still have a stop left for ARN and a 3rd for HKG since you aren't doing an open jaw.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Thanks Mark for the info.

I saw written somewhere that if the flight is not explicitly booked as a connection, then you get to use the direct MPM?

i.e. on the aeroplan website I search ARN-BKK and it stops in IST for me. Do you think that I could use the ARN-BKK mileage, which is less?

and last q... the MPM can't be combined for inbound and outbound I guess right? Otherwise it would be significantly under cause my return is much shorter but that's not allowed I assume
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:51 pm

I'm not an expert but I know MPM is calculated on each direction, not in combination. I'll let somebody more knowledgeable than me chime in on the specific mileages used.

You can also call the call centre with your proposed routing and they are happy to verify if it is a legal flightplan even if you aren't planning on booking it that day.

Mark
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:51 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by highlander88

HKG-PVG (CA)
PVG-EWR (UA)
EWR-YUL (AC)
CA does not operate HKG-PVG, were you thinking of PEK instead?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
CA does not operate HKG-PVG, were you thinking of PEK instead?
Ok I'll try to book later today. Wish me luck haha.

And yes I did mean PEK.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:19 pm

Have you found availability for all your flights yet? What dates are you travelling? I can help verify availability if you need it.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:25 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help. Booked it an hour ago! I was allowed to book it through YUL-EWR-ARN stop ARN-IST-SIN-HKG stop HKG-PEK-YUL.

Net outbound mileage: 12,611 (slightly over the 5% allowed)

It now says "unticketed" under status on my aeroplan account - I assume that that means the airlines I am actually flying on new to approve or something, and that for now it's normal...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by highlander88
Hey guys thanks for the help. Booked it an hour ago! I was allowed to book it through YUL-EWR-ARN stop ARN-IST-SIN-HKG stop HKG-PEK-YUL.

Net outbound mileage: 12,611 (slightly over the 5% allowed)

It now says "unticketed" under status on my aeroplan account - I assume that that means the airlines I am actually flying on new to approve or something, and that for now it's normal...
They actually permitted you to ticket while your were over your MPM+5?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AP
Routing options?

First, a thanks for all of the great information on this site. I began digging after being horrified by the fuel surcharges on an awards booking, and FT has been really invaluable.

I'm planning a trip for the fall and after sorting it all out and calling it in, the agent told me that a few of my flights were not allowed because I was not flying the most direct route - I tried to ask about MPM and valid, published routes etc, but she was adamant that I am obligated to take the most direct route available.

My goal is to go to London, Copenhagen and maybe stop somewhere else, and avoid AC and LH. She let me book the following:

YYZ - IDA -UA J
IDA - LHR -UA J - (stopover)
LHR - CPH -SK J - (destination)
CPH - ZRH -LX J
ZRH - YUL -LX J
YUL - YOW -AC Y (no direct YUL-YYZ flights avail)
YOW - YYZ -AC J

It was only $242 in charges and I'm excited to try that LX flight in J (don't get to travel J often!), but I'd also love to work another interesting stop in there and/or try a "better J product" as you say, than that UA flight across the pond. Any ideas?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Why not stop in ZRH for a few days?

Also, I presume that's IAD, not IDA (unless there's a new Idaho Falls to London flight!).
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: AP
Ha! yes, IAD, not IDA, sorry. Though IDA might be worth a visit:

"Souvenirs, sundries and basic food are available at Kathryn's Snack Shack pre-security screening."

Last edited by LHRgal; Jun 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.