Mini RTW Questions

Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Okay, very quick question, just need confirmation from the experts:

When I phoned in yesterday to change part of my ticket (finally) I discovered that not only had I been downgraded on the only F segment of our itinerary, there was no longer F on that route at all. (OZ ORD-ICN)

Now this is okay (but highly irritating) since I could change to go via JFK and still get F, but it will involve changing a couple of flights. Do I have grounds to get them to waive the change fee, since my original itinerary is being changed involuntarily? Or am I stuck with paying the change fee just to keep the same class that I was booked in?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Okay, very quick question, just need confirmation from the experts:

When I phoned in yesterday to change part of my ticket (finally) I discovered that not only had I been downgraded on the only F segment of our itinerary, there was no longer F on that route at all. (OZ ORD-ICN)

Now this is okay (but highly irritating) since I could change to go via JFK and still get F, but it will involve changing a couple of flights. Do I have grounds to get them to waive the change fee, since my original itinerary is being changed involuntarily? Or am I stuck with paying the change fee just to keep the same class that I was booked in?
You have two options.

- if this was the only F segment, you could insist on getting the points back
- you can certainly change stuff around for free

Have they not sent you an itin update? That's pretty shady of them.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
You have two options.

- if this was the only F segment, you could insist on getting the points back
- you can certainly change stuff around for free

Have they not sent you an itin update? That's pretty shady of them.
Edit: Thanks for the reply! Was so happy to hear that it could be free, I just forgot all my manners at the door.

I will attempt to change for free, since going from Suites F to Old J is not an option. I have been throwing around the term "Unacf**kingceptable" in regard to this, but that may be a bit dramatic.

and they sent an itin update yesterday, but I am almost certain that was in reaction to my inital change request that I then denied (they only told me about the downgrade after going away and changing the ICN-SIN flight as I requested)

Thanks for the info, though! I'm going to attempt to reroute the first half of this ticket (move WAW-ORD to WAW-JFK or WAW-YYZ-JFK), although I would have preferred to avoid AC altogether and fly UA.... Just a good thing I didn't book the subsequent add-on reward with A3, which I then couldn't change. I guess there's one (small) advantage left with AP.... I guess.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Mar 25, 2013 at 6:01 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Edit: Thanks for the reply! Was so happy to hear that it could be free, I just forgot all my manners at the door.

I will attempt to change for free, since going from Suites F to Old J is not an option. I have been throwing around the term "Unacf**kingceptable" in regard to this, but that may be a bit dramatic.

and they sent an itin update yesterday, but I am almost certain that was in reaction to my inital change request that I then denied (they only told me about the downgrade after going away and changing the ICN-SIN flight as I requested)

Thanks for the info, though! I'm going to attempt to reroute the first half of this ticket (move WAW-ORD to WAW-JFK or WAW-YYZ-JFK), although I would have preferred to avoid AC altogether and fly UA.... Just a good thing I didn't book the subsequent add-on reward with A3, which I then couldn't change. I guess there's one (small) advantage left with AP.... I guess.
You could also consider making your way to LAX and going LAX ICN in F on a 747. I was considering switching to ORD (I'm coming from YYZ) when it opened up. Glad I didn't now if there is no longer F.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
You could also consider making your way to LAX and going LAX ICN in F on a 747. I was considering switching to ORD (I'm coming from YYZ) when it opened up. Glad I didn't now if there is no longer F.
I'd consider LAX, but if I'm trying to minimize connections and minimize my time on AC/LH it becomes difficult. And I'm pushing the definition of "mpm" to the limit as-is. If I can get them to route WAW-YYZ-JFK it may just work, though, and for the small frustration of AC in Y on the short hop, we may just live.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Mar 25, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:46 pm

If I'm taking a published route, would there be an exception of hitting a connecting airport more than once?

My entire trip is YYZ-CDG(stop)-BCN(stop)-VCE(turn)-YYZ, not including connections. CDG-BCN and BCN-VCE both require connecting flights. FRA, VIE, and ZRH being options. LX is the only non-YQ carrier, so I want to go with them, but that would mean having to go through ZRH twice CDG-ZRH-BCN-ZRH-VCE. Am I out of luck with doing LX for both routes?

Also, just to make sure I understand published routings, this is what I got back when checking a flight on ExpertFlyer:
PUBLISHED RTG PAR-BCN/LX1151/TAR-EURG EF-19MAR13 DIS-INDEF

/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
1. PAR-ZRH-GVA-BCN
2. PAR-ZRH-BCN
For CDG-ZRH-BCN, I would only count the distance between CDG and BCN when calculating total distance travelled?

Thanks for all the help so far... learning a lot of (irrelevant in the grand scheme of life) things about flight booking.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by goob3r

For CDG-ZRH-BCN, I would only count the distance between CDG and BCN when calculating total distance travelled?

Thanks for all the help so far... learning a lot of (irrelevant in the grand scheme of life) things about flight booking.
you count each connection separately. If they dont let you do ZRH twice (which they should) - try connecting in GVA between CDG and BCN on LX.

Remember, you can do <24 hour connections as well, and they dont count as stopovers, so you are free to spend <24 hours in either GVA or ZRH as well.

YYZ-CDG on AC will be $300+ in scamcharges for that segment alone

Also you are overthinking it on published routes (in any case it would be YYZ-BCN route not just PAR-BCN), just stick to MPM5.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:55 pm

there should be no issue as ZRH is on both return and outbound which is fine and allowed
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I'd consider LAX, but if I'm trying to minimize connections and minimize my time on AC/LH it becomes difficult. And I'm pushing the definition of "mpm" to the limit as-is. If I can get them to route WAW-YYZ-JFK it may just work, though, and for the small frustration of AC in Y on the short hop, we may just live.
WAW-ZRH-LAX on Swiss? May be hard to find though.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:39 am

Okay, so through my digging, I have discovered that there is still a 3-class OZ flight running ORD-ICN, but _someone_ has unilaterally downgraded us to business (but still no real "change" email). So what does it look like my odds would be to phone in and ...politely.... explain to them that I had an F reservation on a flight which still has F for sale (A8 showing and available for sale on the OZ site) that they have changed without warning. I get it if they'd changed the flight so that F was no longer available, but if it's still there. Even OZ says it's there (although not the agent, which is suspicious enough, but I can't get any two sources of AP, OZ, The OZ site, expertflyer, or ANA to agree completely on anything.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Take a look at the thread on the Singapore First availability from last summer. Some good narrative descriptions of how people "encouraged" Aeroplan to honour the First awards after they tried to cancel them. If you search for my posts in that thread, you should find my story laid out in great detail.

Bottom line is don't accept the change. You have a "confirmed" and "ticketed" First class leg. You should insist on them providing a first class trip.

Last edited by krayZpaving; Mar 26, 2013 at 10:13 am Reason: typo correction
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Take a look at the thread on the Singapore First availability form last summer. Some good narrative descriptions of how people "encouraged" Aeroplan to honour the First awards after they tried to cancel them. If you search for my posts in that thread, you should find my story laid out in great detail.

Bottom line is don't accept the change. You have a "confirmed" and "ticketed" First class leg. You should insist on them providing a first class trip.
Did you ever know that you're my hero?

But song lyrics aside I think that's some pretty good* news, because I very well remember the SQ F debacle.... and the results of said.

*the actual word I would use is zajebiste, but I also really enjoy regional dialects and slang.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:52 am

Okay, so through my digging, I have discovered that there is still a 3-class OZ flight running ORD-ICN, but _someone_ has unilaterally downgraded us to business (but still no real "change" email). So what does it look like my odds would be to phone in and ...politely.... explain to them that I had an F reservation on a flight which still has F for sale (A8 showing and available for sale on the OZ site) that they have changed without warning. I get it if they'd changed the flight so that F was no longer available, but if it's still there. Even OZ says it's there (although not the agent, which is suspicious enough, but I can't get any two sources of AP, OZ, The OZ site, expertflyer, or ANA to agree completely on anything.
Careful: A8 doesn't mean O availability. But that doesn't matter: it's possible OZ pulled O availability and forced Aeroplan to reticket, but that isn't really *your* problem, so call away!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Careful: A8 doesn't mean O availability. But that doesn't matter: it's possible OZ pulled O availability and forced Aeroplan to reticket, but that isn't really *your* problem, so call away!
Availability only matters before they issue the ticket After that they can't pull it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Availability only matters before they issue the ticket After that they can't pull it.
Oh, totally agree. I was just saying "just because it says A8 don't assume there is O availability". It doesn't change the fact that you HAD a ticket in O and they "disappeared" it :P Call, call!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.