Mini RTW Questions

Old May 18, 2012, 11:12 am

Are DCA and IAD co-terminals? Can I fly into DCA and out of IAD?

Just the only flight into IAD from YYZ leaves me with a 9 hour layover, whereas I can fly into DCA and still have a 6 hour layover (which I imagine is more than fine to make the connection)
Old May 18, 2012, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by beep88
It's a shame isn't it, that the "Free" Business award is being watered down to an upgrade award... when you can buy Y ticket YUL-NRT (Ok no via LHR) for the same money all-in.
So very, very true. Except upgrades are usually a lot less expensive with other airlines... since they are branded as such.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SE(100K), Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Mini RTW Question

I'm sorry to have not completely found my answer by searching forums.

I need to go to HKG and PEK next month and to my surprise found some flights in F if I go over the atlantic.

I have checked the MPM and know it is well within limits
(12696 allowed plus 5%)

It is 3 segments outbound and 4 segments return. Includeds one stop over on the return.

My question. I am a bit confused by "backtracking". In the past I have booked things like ORD-FRA-CDG on LH It is a backtrack, I guess, but also the only way there on LH.

So, here's my itin that I found on KVS and wanted to check before I called AP.

Outbound
ORD-FRA LH F
FRA -ZRH LH C
ZRH-HKG LX F

Return
HKG-PEK CA C

Stopover PEK a few nights

PEK - ZRH LX F
ZRH-FRA LH C
FRA-ORD LH F

about 10,300 of the allowable 12696 miles
I can find the segments ORD-FRA-ZRH on aeroplan.ca and the ZRH-PEK/HKG on aeroplan.ca.

So is the FRA-ZRH each way backtracking? There are directs to/from FRA but the are in LH C

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 19, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I don't think you should have a problem with your routing in terms of backtracking. I've done YUL-ZRH-BCN and ATH-MXP-BKK, both of which are slightly out of the way. As long as it's within MPM+5% you should be good.

Are you sure that the ORD-FRA availability is real and not 'phantom' availability, as has been showing up when you search LX/LH flights on AE/UA? If it's beyond 14 days out, it's most likely phantom, but double check on ANA (or Awards/StarAlliance on KVS) to make sure before you call.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dinosims
Are you sure that the ORD-FRA availability is real and not 'phantom' availability, as has been showing up when you search LX/LH flights on AE/UA? If it's beyond 14 days out, it's most likely phantom, but double check on ANA (or Awards/StarAlliance on KVS) to make sure before you call.
Thanks! It is avail on KVS. That explains the Munich bound flights I found on Aeroplan.ca but not on KVS...
Old May 19, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by tyrannical
Thanks! It is avail on KVS. That explains the Munich bound flights I found on Aeroplan.ca but not on KVS...
Crud you are right. I went in via ANA and its not there. $#@$@@#
Old May 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

... or by using my tool

As for backtracking - it's a bit of a vague concept. Backtracking in Europe seems OK (afaik you can even go to DME and come back to FRA!) but in Asia it's harder. But your routing seems to be totally legitimate. But as dinosims said - if you're seeing F space on LH it *could* be phantom (but not necessarily, so don't outright despair!), make sure it shows up on ANA's tool as well.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:49 pm

if you're only lookin for 1 seat an J space is available, get that. generally they'll open up another seat within 2 weeks of departure - and if not, you canal ways change to something else.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:25 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by dinosims
If it's beyond 14 days out, it's most likely phantom, but double check on ANA (or Awards/StarAlliance on KVS) to make sure before you call.
LH Award Availability is supported via 3 different Methods in the KVS Tool: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes

Which one did you use?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I could use some constructive advice and I believe the below is valid, based on my expert flyer research.

SFO-PVG UA biz (stop)
PVG-BKK TG biz (overnight)
BKK-PER TG biz (turn)
PER-SIN SQ biz
SIN-DPS SQ biz (stop)
DPS-BKK TG biz (overnight)
BKK-LHR TG biz (overnight)
LHR-SFO UA biz

We are completely flexible on the return from DPS and am open to options, as I believe we will have steep landing fees via LHR. Right now the only way to get from Europe/UK to SFO is via LHR, unless we want to connect in the US via DFW or DEN. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonours Gold,
Originally Posted by sonomawine

PER-SIN SQ biz
SIN-DPS SQ biz (stop)
DPS-BKK TG biz (overnight)
BKK-LHR TG biz (overnight)
LHR-SFO UA biz
Your return trip is over the maximum mileage allowed "16610 miles compare to 9150 +5%", usually I think it is almost impossible to go to Australia and Europe at the same trip, especially at the west coast.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by skylighter7867
Your return trip is over the maximum mileage allowed "16610 miles compare to 9150 +5%", usually I think it is almost impossible to go to Australia and Europe at the same trip, especially at the west coast.
I think the above is not necessarily true (re: Europe and Australia in one trip), though the west coast part may be. reason being JFK-LHR-JNB-PER, SYD-(Asia)-JFK ha been booked before.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
would either of those 2 routing work?
fra-sin-hkg(stop)
hkg-pek-lax(turnaround)
lax-bkk(stop)
Bkk-fra

Or
Bkk-fra-zrh(stop)
zrh-yul(turnaround)
yul-zrh-fra(stop)
fra-bkk

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Option #1 most likely won't work. Most airlines don't publish an MPM from Europe to NA via Asia. TG does happen to, but your outbound routing is 15457 miles, while their MPM for a Pacific routing is 13292. Your inbound will work, however, if using TG, since LAX-BKK-FRA is 13840 miles (falls within MPM+5%).

Option #2 is a pretty straightforward routing and should work. MPM for this routing is 11509 miles. Your routing is 9481 miles, well under MPM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:05 am

I seem to be having a bit of a brain fart.

Is this legal? YUL-LHR (stop, open jaw) CDG-IST-SIN-FUK-(open jaw, destination)-KIX-(pacific routing)-YUL?

I'm thinking double open jaw won't be allowed, and then, open jaw in Europe is illegal, as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.