Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
whoa, so does that mean that based on that, yvr-lax-nrt-bkk-sin-syd is a valid routing to SYD?
If I am "deciphering" these correctly it looks OK.

PUBLISHED RTG YVR-SYD/SQ700 /TAR-TPRG EF-24JAN11 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
1. YVR-AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
2. YVR-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
3. YVR-US/AS-LAX-SQ-TYO-SQ-BKK-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
4. YVR-SQ/AC-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
5. YVR-SQ/AS-SEA-SQ/AS-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
6. YVR-AC-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
7. YVR-SQ/AC-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD
8. YVR-US/AS-LAX-SQ-TPE-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-SYD

I called and asked AE a few days ago about my route and they agreed that it is valid because of the SQ published route.
But, my question is if I want to go via BKK (on TG) is that valid? Or is the airline that I use within the *A group restricted by the PR I quoted above? i.e. do I have to use SQ, which as we all know is next to impossible to get redemption seats on flights out of LAX/SFO.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Err, I stand corrected, YYC.

The way I understand MPM, you can build your own routing as long as you're below it - and if you're over MPM, then only allowed when on a published routing. Does that mean that if this routing pushes the trip over MPM, the return segment HAS to be done per published routings OR whatever is shortest, or are "going" and "return" treated separately?

Specific example - knowing that there is an NZ flight serving the route, would SYD-AKL-RAR-LAX-YYC appear to be a permitted return in the above situation?
The outbound can be done based on MPM, and the inbound done based on routing. Or vise versa. Or any combinations. So yes, the outbound and inbound are treated separately.

I think your example should work.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I called and asked AE a few days ago about my route and they agreed that it is valid because of the SQ published route.
But, my question is if I want to go via BKK (on TG) is that valid? Or is the airline that I use within the *A group restricted by the PR I quoted above? i.e. do I have to use SQ, which as we all know is next to impossible to get redemption seats on flights out of LAX/SFO.
No, you can use ANY *A airlines on that routing. No need to restrict yourself to SQ.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jarusoba
No, you can use ANY *A airlines on that routing. No need to restrict yourself to SQ.
Absolutely.

I just sent (before the surcharge) a friend YYZ-ORD-DUS-FRA-ICN-SIN(stop)SYD

AC/LH/LH/OZ/OZ/SQ

It was the only thing available just before Xmas.

The return from AKL is much easier via SFO
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jarusoba
The outbound can be done based on MPM, and the inbound done based on routing. Or vise versa. Or any combinations. So yes, the outbound and inbound are treated separately.

I think your example should work.
awesome. ok, my next year's trip is set then. i haven't been to Rarotonga in ... 4 years! time to go.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: A Few

Does this look like the PR? Does it mean I can go via BKK? Does it specify which carrier I have to use via BKK, or is that irrelevant when redeeming on a Star Alliance award?
In my unsuccessful attempts of getting to SYD from YYC via Europe or Asia the AE agents have told me that if I go the published routing validation method I must travel on the airline with the published routing (SQ). Since premium cabin long-haul award seats on SQ are almost non-existent for *A partner redemption I no longer bother to try.

Of course, with all things AE, YMMV.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
In my unsuccessful attempts of getting to SYD from YYC via Europe or Asia the AE agents have told me that if I go the published routing validation method I must travel on the airline with the published routing (SQ). Since premium cabin long-haul award seats on SQ are almost non-existent for *A partner redemption I no longer bother to try.

Of course, with all things AE, YMMV.
Damn! Back to the drawing board. But. There are always 'buts'! When I asked the AE agent he never mentioned sticking to SQ if I wanted to use the the published fare method. Although we did not look for any seats anyway.

Also:

My furthest point is SIN (just) this is according to GCM and EF TPM numbers. So.....If I make SIN my POT then it is within the MPM.

eg YYC-SIN TPM is 8390. The MPM is 10572 (5%). my route YYC-LAX-BKK-SIN clocks in at 10351. So that fall within.
YYC-SYD TPM is 8195.
If this is OK is the issue on the return?

SIN-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop)
AKL-SFO-YYC.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Damn! Back to the drawing board. But. There are always 'buts'! When I asked the AE agent he never mentioned sticking to SQ if I wanted to use the the published fare method. Although we did not look for any seats anyway.
From my experience, the "but" is you have to fly SQ to SIN to/from SYD - which is easy to get on the A380 nowadays.
The rest seems to be irrelevant - ie. how you get to SIN
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: A Few

Also:

My furthest point is SIN (just) this is according to GCM and EF TPM numbers. So.....If I make SIN my POT then it is within the MPM.

eg YYC-SIN TPM is 8390. The MPM is 10572 (5%). my route YYC-LAX-BKK-SIN clocks in at 10351. So that fall within.
YYC-SYD TPM is 8195.
If this is OK is the issue on the return?

SIN-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop)
AKL-SFO-YYC.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
From my experience, the "but" is you have to fly SQ to SIN to/from SYD - which is easy to get on the A380 nowadays.
The rest seems to be irrelevant - ie. how you get to SIN
As I said...YMMV. On my last attempt to get to SYD via Europe from YYC the agent would not allow me to use TG, LX, LH or TK from Europe to get to SIN...only SQ. Many agents don't know anything about validating a routing other than by MPM so it's certainly worth a shot. Very few awards are validated by published routing so my guess is you might find an agent who will let you use alternate airlines.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
As I said...YMMV. On my last attempt to get to SYD via Europe from YYC the agent would not allow me to use TG, LX, LH or TK from Europe to get to SIN...only SQ. Many agents don't know anything about validating a routing other than by MPM so it's certainly worth a shot. Very few awards are validated by published routing so my guess is you might find an agent who will let you use alternate airlines.
I m sorry, I misunderstood, I was departing YYZ not YYC.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:49 pm

Are any of these a valid routing?

YYZ-FRA
FRA-SIN (Stop)
SIN-MEL
MEL-AKL (Stop)
AKL-WLG (POT)
WLG-AKL
AKL-NRT
NRT-LAX
LAX-YYZ

or....

YYZ-FRA
FRA-SIN (Stop)
SIN-MEL
MEL-AKL (POT)
AKL-NRT
NRT-LAX
LAX-YYZ
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Are any of these a valid routing?
GHT, I PM'ed you the MPM for AKL, WLG, its slightly over 11,000. So NRT is gonna be a no go.

However, if you route via SIN (and SYD?), IME, you are allowed to go via Europe.

If you make MEL the POT via SIN, its definitely valid. But on the way back you would have to make AKL a stopover and directly home on NZ.

If you need to find dates that NZ non-stops are available, go to co.com, and click off non-stop only when searching AKL-LAX/SFO/YVR.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
GHT, I PM'ed you the MPM for AKL, WLG, its slightly over 11,000. So NRT is gonna be a no go.

However, if you route via SIN (and SYD?), IME, you are allowed to go via Europe.

If you make MEL the POT via SIN, its definitely valid. But on the way back you would have to make AKL a stopover and directly home on NZ.

If you need to find dates that NZ non-stops are available, go to co.com, and click off non-stop only when searching AKL-LAX/SFO/YVR.
Curious - in this example, would AKL-RAR-LAX still be valid (NZ18 stops there en route), with a stop there? Or does it HAVE to be nonstop?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curious - in this example, would AKL-RAR-LAX still be valid (NZ18 stops there en route), with a stop there? Or does it HAVE to be nonstop?
you can most certainly stop.

AKL-HNL-YVR/ORD/EWR/LAX/SFO/DEN/PHX-Yxx is also valid, there has been at least one report of a successful stopover in HNL (NZ10 twice a week AKL-HNL)
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC*E35
Would something along the lines of... be allowed?

YVR-SFO
SFO-HKG
HKG-SIN (STOP)
SIN-SYD (STOP)
SYD-SIN
SIN-HKG (STOP
HKG-SFO
SFO-YVR

And would the POT be SYD or SIN given that SIN is farther than SYD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.