Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011 | 2:36 pm

Can someone explain this to me? I did a dummy multicity booking on the Aeroplan site and it seemed to allowed it. It taxed it and everything.

YYZ-SFO-HNL(stop)-NRT(stop)-DFW-YYZ

45,000 in Economy. It is considering HNL as the POT. Should it not be 60,000?
Old Dec 22, 2011 | 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goob3r
Can someone explain this to me? I did a dummy multicity booking on the Aeroplan site and it seemed to allowed it. It taxed it and everything.

YYZ-SFO-HNL(stop)-NRT(stop)-DFW-YYZ

45,000 in Economy. It is considering HNL as the POT. Should it not be 60,000?
Interesting... Should be 75,000 to NRT. Seems like the old pricing is back, so maybe it's a bug related to that. Curiously, I can't find MPM for the route.
Old Dec 22, 2011 | 9:24 pm

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Interesting... Should be 75,000 to NRT. Seems like the old pricing is back, so maybe it's a bug related to that. Curiously, I can't find MPM for the route.
Bizarre.

I can book it for 80K in business ONLY if the NRT-YYZ leg is in Economy. ...? This is strangeness.

45K for eceonomy works but only with ONE return option -- NRT-ICN-YYZ.
Old Dec 22, 2011 | 9:41 pm

i been searching for the past 3 days.... but can't figure out how to make this work. I was pulling in couple of days late next year when the Reduce mileage promo was going on.

i read someone post that sometimes the online engine forgets to charge u for the farthest zone thing.
Old Dec 22, 2011 | 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dilvala
i been searching for the past 3 days.... but can't figure out how to make this work. I was pulling in couple of days late next year when the Reduce mileage promo was going on.

i read someone post that sometimes the online engine forgets to charge u for the farthest zone thing.
Interesting.

I got one that works:
YYZ-LAX in Y [AC]
LAX-HNL in J [UA] [stop for 3 weeks]
HNL-GUM in J [UA]
GUM-NGO in J [CO]
NGO-NRT in Y [NH] [stop for 3 weeks]
NRT-ICN in J [OZ]
ICN-YYZ in Y [AC]

Could probably request an op-up on the last leg seeing as it's AC - they would never know it was a price error during booking at the gate...

Total 80K miles, $418 in taxes. Curious.

[edit] can be had for 45K in an all-Y config.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; Dec 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011 | 10:34 pm

[QUOTE=Pseudo Nim;17678930]Interesting.

dates are few and far between..... i had to search 1 date at a time also was able to avoid scamcharge once when different airlines show up.

Last edited by dilvala; Dec 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011 | 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by dilvala
dates are few and far between..... i had to search 1 date at a time also was able to avoid scamcharge once when different airlines show up.
Oh totally agreed - I found only one set of dates that fully got me to the taxes. In order to take advantage of this I guess you have to be 100% flexible with your time... but it's an interesting option nonetheless.

[edit] btw it prices same out of YUL as well.
Old Dec 23, 2011 | 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Oh totally agreed - I found only one set of dates that fully got me to the taxes. In order to take advantage of this I guess you have to be 100% flexible with your time... but it's an interesting option nonetheless.

[edit] btw it prices same out of YUL as well.
maybe we should delete our post before it gets fixed
Old Dec 25, 2011 | 9:28 am

I am currently booked in UA F for ORD-NRT. F availability just opened up on ORD-NRT with ANA..... is ANA F worth the ~$300 in extra YQ to switch? All of my other flights are non YQ-able, so there won't be any other extra YQ other than that.
Old Jan 1, 2012 | 1:13 am

Originally Posted by travel_geek
I am currently booked in UA F for ORD-NRT. F availability just opened up on ORD-NRT with ANA..... is ANA F worth the ~$300 in extra YQ to switch? All of my other flights are non YQ-able, so there won't be any other extra YQ other than that.
NH on the ORD-NRT route isn't worth $300 as the config is the "old" first. If yu were flying NRT-ORD, at least you'd get access to the very good F lounge, but for ORD-NRT I'd not bother. If one of the newer routes is possible then consider it (ex-LAX/SFO/JFK). Otherwise meh. I mean - it's still first class, but when you consider that even ORD-NRT on UA will be the new F config, it puts things in perspective.
Old Jan 12, 2012 | 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I'm looking at mini RTW options for a trip in about a year. I want to be prepared to book when seats open up so I'm in the researching phase. I've done a few of these but I'm not too familiar with MPM and routing requirements - things have mostly worked the way I want them to in the past.

With the redemption changes I'm looking at Asia 1 & 2. Specifically, I'd like to go from YOW to CEB (Cebu, PI) then to BKK then home. I could not see any available flights from CEB to BKK on a multi-city search on the aeroplan site so I looked at MNL instead. I thought that would work and I could just buy a cheap ticket to CEB from there. But, whichever first 2 legs I choose the MNL - YOW options are all greyed out. Is this not a permitted route for some reason?

I have another route I'm also looking at with a different stopover that works, but I'd like to know if this one is an option.

I have found segments with the ANA tool before - but my question is more about routing and whether I can do this route at all. I tried searching and can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Jan 12, 2012 | 11:46 am

Programs: Air Canada
YYZ-PEK-LED booking

Successfully booked the following mini-RTW for this spring, all in J class - recognize TK J isn't highly recommended (esp overnight), and could have added a couple extra Asia hops, but only have 19 days elapsed for this run and I'm happy with the results. (Yes, St Petersburg (RU) is a valid stopover returning from China - does not hit max mileage on this routing.)

YYZ-PEK AC (one week)
PEK-IST TK (overnight stopover in IST)
IST-VIE TK (overnight stopover in VIE)
VIE-LED OS (stopover for one week)
LED-FRA-YYZ LH/AC

Hardest J segment to find was the return via FRA, everything else was pretty open and I had a fair number of options to choose from on dates.

This is my first RTW routing and I must say - after validating through expertflyer that all the segments I wanted were available in J, and then calling AE on the Elite reservation line with the list of segments, the whole call took 10 minutes to ticket with zero time on hold. So far, well done Aeroplan!
Old Jan 12, 2012 | 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL AC*E50
Originally Posted by davsmall2
- recognize TK J isn't highly recommended (esp overnight), !
says who?

TK 77W flat bed J is not only leaps above AC or LH, but also does not come with hundreds of dollars in scamcharges on Aeroplan tickets.

How much were your fees, I am going to eyeball around $600?
Old Jan 12, 2012 | 3:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada
Fees were a little over 700 - largely the AC metal to PEK and the LH/AC return.

Thanks for the feedback on the TK 77W service - haven't flown it and the online J reviews on skytrax were inconsistent to say the least.
Old Jan 12, 2012 | 3:53 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tryinginvain

With the redemption changes I'm looking at Asia 1 & 2. Specifically, I'd like to go from YOW to CEB (Cebu, PI) then to BKK then home. I could not see any available flights from CEB to BKK on a multi-city search on the aeroplan site so I looked at MNL instead. I thought that would work and I could just buy a cheap ticket to CEB from there. But, whichever first 2 legs I choose the MNL - YOW options are all greyed out. Is this not a permitted route for some reason?
!
It seems to be very difficult to get into these smaller places that are not well served by star alliance.

In fact, I believe Thai air only goes as far as Manila. Suggest you may wish to consider an Asia 1 ticket to BKK/SIN with a paid add on with Philippine Airlines For an extra $400 to get you to whee you need to finish

Reward Availability on TG is usually excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.