Mini RTW Questions

Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:59 pm
  #961  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: YOW
Programs: AP, AM
Posts: 132
Mini RTW Questions

It was UA. (Sorry, can't quote above easily from the iPhone app.)

Worth asking I thought. FTR, all other airlines used show that it's an award flight.
Beavertails is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:09 pm
  #962  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by arcticbull
You can definitely hit ZRH and BOS twice because they are on different sides of the turn. You are correct that VCE is your point of turnaround, because it's your furthest point. However, hitting FRA twice on the way back is not going to happen.

In addition your ticketed point mileage on the way back is 6602 but the maximum permitted +5% (5M) is 5369.

You may have trouble with this anyways, because I'm fairly certain your two stopovers have to be on either side of your point of turnaround. That is to say, you stop once on the way over, and once more on the way back. However, I do NOT know this for a fact.
You can definitely have two stops on either side - not a requirement. What's more ... there are ways of stopping by a hub twice in one go. For instance, it seems like xxx-FRA-DME-FRA-onwards to Asia is allowed - someone booked this.

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Is there a way to fly from YYC to PVG (as a final des) by using only 60k miles through RTW?
Not sure if PVG can be done (can't remember). HKG/NRT can; but it's extremely difficult to find availability.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:36 pm
  #963  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by arcticbull
You can definitely hit ZRH and BOS twice because they are on different sides of the turn. You are correct that VCE is your point of turnaround, because it's your furthest point. However, hitting FRA twice on the way back is not going to happen.

In addition your ticketed point mileage on the way back is 6602 but the maximum permitted +5% (5M) is 5369.

You may have trouble with this anyways, because I'm fairly certain your two stopovers have to be on either side of your point of turnaround. That is to say, you stop once on the way over, and once more on the way back. However, I do NOT know this for a fact.
If I can hit ZRH and BOS, is there any way for me to find out if hitting FRA twice will be okay without calling in to confirm?

I thought that if the total MPM is under MPM+5% for the entire round trip (10738), it is valid. Does both origin-dest / dest-orig have to be under 5369?
goob3r is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:40 pm
  #964  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
What's more ... there are ways of stopping by a hub twice in one go. For instance, it seems like xxx-FRA-DME-FRA-onwards to Asia is allowed - someone booked this.
What are the rules around this? I haven't been able to find anything that explains it clearly.
goob3r is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:42 pm
  #965  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by goob3r
If I can hit ZRH and BOS, is there any way for me to find out if hitting FRA twice will be okay without calling in to confirm?

I thought that if the total MPM is under MPM+5% for the entire round trip (10738), it is valid. Does both origin-dest / dest-orig have to be under 5369?
Each direction must fall under MPM5, so you can't "save" on one to lengthen another.

Originally Posted by goob3r
What are the rules around this? I haven't been able to find anything that explains it clearly.
Unfortunately, I've not found clear guidance on this either. I suggest searching this thread for it and going from there. You'd definitely need to call in, though.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:50 pm
  #966  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Posts: 1,343
Originally Posted by goob3r
What are the rules around this? I haven't been able to find anything that explains it clearly.
The Aeroplan website is clear about this.

STAR ALLIANCE REWARDS

• Maximum of 10 segments per reward on allowable routings.
• Routing cannot include the same city more than once in each direction.
arcticbull is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:54 pm
  #967  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,932
Originally Posted by arcticbull
The Aeroplan website is clear about this.
it's not that simple.

First of all, >10 segments are allowed (I had an 11 segment one booked bit changed it to 9).

Second, although backtracking is not allowed, I believe there are a few, very limited, situations where it is (but I'd be hard-pressed to quote one right now, to be fair).
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:31 pm
  #968  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
it's not that simple.

First of all, >10 segments are allowed (I had an 11 segment one booked bit changed it to 9).

Second, although backtracking is not allowed, I believe there are a few, very limited, situations where it is (but I'd be hard-pressed to quote one right now, to be fair).
+1 ^
mileageking is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:49 pm
  #969  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 61
If the published route for BOS-VCE is BOS-ZRH-VCE, would the miles travelled be BOS-VCE (3968) or BOS-ZRH (3745) + ZRH-VCE (226)?
goob3r is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:06 am
  #970  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Posts: 1,343
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
it's not that simple.

First of all, >10 segments are allowed (I had an 11 segment one booked bit changed it to 9).

Second, although backtracking is not allowed, I believe there are a few, very limited, situations where it is (but I'd be hard-pressed to quote one right now, to be fair).
I think it is allowed, but only when an agent doesn't notice I've just listed the published rules -- i.e. what's supposed to happen, not what does happen. Technically, US Air Dividend Miles has rules too but you'd be hard pressed to find an agent who knows them lol.
arcticbull is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:08 am
  #971  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Posts: 1,343
Originally Posted by goob3r
If the published route for BOS-VCE is BOS-ZRH-VCE, would the miles travelled be BOS-VCE (3968) or BOS-ZRH (3745) + ZRH-VCE (226)?
Miles travelled is what you actually fly, which is 220 + 3735 = 3955. Maximum permitted mileage +5% VCEBOS-AC is 4979.
arcticbull is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:28 am
  #972  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Not sure if PVG can be done (can't remember). HKG/NRT can; but it's extremely difficult to find availability.
So should I go from YYC to ITO, then ITO to NRT, then NRT to PVG and for return using PVG to QLD, QLD to HNL, HNL to YVR, YVR to YYC? Sorry I'm totally a newbie and not sure how to use ANA tool for rewards.
Keisuke Himuro is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:46 pm
  #973  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: AC*SE, HHonors*Gold
Posts: 68
Help on mini-RTW ideas

Sorry to start yet another thread on a mini-rtw topic, but this is the final frontier for me in my AE journey and I need advice that doesn't seem to fit in with the other threads on this topic - I've read the sticky and it was extremely helpful, and I've read the list of booked itineraries and another thread on questions, and maybe it's because I'm tired but I'm just not getting things. So apologies if this should be posted elsewhere, or if my questions are too basic (or silly).

Here's the deal - I'm interested in setting up an itinerary for myself and two relatives next year. I'd like it to be all in first class or at least business, and I've really only got one specific city in mind (JRO - Kilimanjaro), the rest are all just general areas.

I'd like a routing that includes:
Toronto - Europe (LHR/CDG/BCN) - Africa (JRO) - DXB and/or SE Asia (SIN/BKK) - Australia or Japan - Toronto

First question - is it even possible to hit all 5 continents on a single itinerary? I don't think I've seen any in the booked itineraries. Does this have to do with the MPM restriction?

Second question - what should I be looking at for city stopovers vs segments vs destination in order to minimize the points used per ticket and scamcharges? I don't know how to route this trip other than direct hops but that seems boring compared to the routings I've seen others book. And I'm not asking for flights or availability, I can do that work - at least I think I can thanks to the advice on the forums! I'm just looking for ideas on how to route this for the most fun?

Final question - this is a long way off, but how do I actually book the routing I decide on in the end. I understand it involves calling AE, but do I tell them what my stopovers and destination are, do I just give them specific flight info and they work out the details?

Thanks to you experts for your amazing insight and assistance!
rsbyyz is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:57 pm
  #974  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,440
You have 9970 miles to work with on TATL YYZ-JRO
You have 13048 miles to work with on TPAC JRO-YYZ

The latter looks very limiting, and I dont know if anything via ADD and Asia will be ok.

To minimize scamcharges you want to avoid AC/LH/OS/NH/OZ/TG.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:40 am
  #975  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,821
When you've got the exact list of flights that have the availability you need, you call the AE call centre and give them the flights one by one. Normally date, flight number and origin/destination is what is most helpful for them.
If you get an agent who doesn't seem to like the idea of being given a long list of flights, just hang up and call back. Most of the ones I've talked to seem fascinated by the strange trips and routings I've come up with though!
krayZpaving is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.