Mini RTW Questions

Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
...He couldn't tell me the taxes but I expect to get a refund as I was on the THAI flight from bkk-cdg before and that alone is about $250 (I think).
I'd like to know, how can one know the taxes/fee for a specific flight/segment only?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by erik19283
I'd like to know, how can one know the taxes/fee for a specific flight/segment only?
The easiest thing to do is to go to ITA Matrix, and search for the specific flight you want. Then continue to the pricing, and it will have the fuel surcharge listed in it.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The easiest thing to do is to go to ITA Matrix, and search for the specific flight you want. Then continue to the pricing, and it will have the fuel surcharge listed in it.
You are a remarkable source of information, thank you again!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:58 pm

You are a remarkable source of information, thank you again!
No worries - glad it's useful
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:41 pm

Keep in mind that taxes and fees are different for stopovers and connections, the former incurring higher $$ and what you would see if you entered only that segment into ITA Matrix.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Coolers
Keep in mind that taxes and fees are different for stopovers and connections, the former incurring higher $$ and what you would see if you entered only that segment into ITA Matrix.
Yep, only use Matrix for fuel surcharges. Unless you force your trip to be EXACTLY the same as the Aeroplan booking (stops etc), you should not be conserving taxes as they are indeed quite different. But the YQ generally doesn't change (the only exception is some common sense: transborder USA has no YQ, some airlines don't, etc - whereas almost all itineraries on ITA will have YQ, you just have to know when to consider it and when not to).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
What I did at the time was go into the aeroplan site and enter bkk-cdg roundtrip in J making sure both flights were direct on the A380. Then I looked at the YQ in the fee breakdown and cut it in half. It was pretty accurate based on what the ticket cost me originally.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Yep, only use Matrix for fuel surcharges. Unless you force your trip to be EXACTLY the same as the Aeroplan booking (stops etc), you should not be conserving taxes as they are indeed quite different. But the YQ generally doesn't change (the only exception is some common sense: transborder USA has no YQ, some airlines don't, etc - whereas almost all itineraries on ITA will have YQ, you just have to know when to consider it and when not to).
This is where I get confused. I don't have my updated charges yet so I'm not sure what the actual numbers are for my new flights so I can't comment on that. But, if I look on ITA for pek-waw on LOT92 I see 1043 Yuan - which works out to roughly $174 CAD one way. But, if I go into the aeroplan site and put in pek-waw return on the direct LOT flights in the fee breakdown I see $127.40 CAD return for YQ. Based on that the YQ should be about $63.70 one way. So how do you determine the correct YQ ahead of time?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
This is where I get confused. I don't have my updated charges yet so I'm not sure what the actual numbers are for my new flights so I can't comment on that. But, if I look on ITA for pek-waw on LOT92 I see 1043 Yuan - which works out to roughly $174 CAD one way. But, if I go into the aeroplan site and put in pek-waw return on the direct LOT flights in the fee breakdown I see $127.40 CAD return for YQ. Based on that the YQ should be about $63.70 one way. So how do you determine the correct YQ ahead of time?
Because YQ is an invented figure; based on pixie dust; I hold that the matrix provides only an estimate; what different carriers charge and collect on behalf of other carriers on award tickets could equate to the full route value, one way value or to a sac of oranges.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Using the matrix wont always work

For example, you will try to book YYZ-PEK-SYD with a stopover in PEK.

The matrix will pull up AC YQ and CA YQ. One would think the PEK-SYD segment on CA wont have any YQ on an AE reward, so that can be discounted.

Not so fast. Air Canada has the tendency to scam you out of YQ for YYZ-SYD, not just for the AC segment YYZ-PEK.

So you think you are paying $2xx in YQ, and to your surprise, it will be $900+

Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Using the matrix wont always work

For example, you will try to book YYZ-PEK-SYD with a stopover in PEK.

The matrix will pull up AC YQ and CA YQ. One would think the PEK-SYD segment on CA wont have any YQ on an AE reward, so that can be discounted.

Not so fast. Air Canada has the tendency to scam you out of YQ for YYZ-SYD, not just for the AC segment YYZ-PEK.

So you think you are paying $2xx in YQ, and to your surprise, it will be $900+

And that is another reason why you don't fly North Americas best airline TPAC
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sp4294
And that is another reason why you don't fly North Americas best airline TPAC
oh you mean having to pay double in Flex fares just so one can have a shot at an upgrade isnt enough not to fly AC TPAC?

Although the YVR-HKG in the new sardined 777 sounds like fun, especially in any row >40.

I do remember someone here also booked YYZ-FRA-JNB, and got charged the full YQ even though FRA-JNB was on SA.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by rankourabu
oh you mean having to pay double in Flex fares just so one can have a shot at paying for an upgrade isnt enough not to fly AC TPAC?
FTFY, in advance of 2014's "enhancements".
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Silly question but I can't seem to find the answer in the terms. Does the total trip duration need to be <365 days or could I in theory pay a change fee after the trip is started and push my return out further than 1 year from the initial travelling?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowside67
Silly question but I can't seem to find the answer in the terms. Does the total trip duration need to be <365 days or could I in theory pay a change fee after the trip is started and push my return out further than 1 year from the initial travelling?
The trip must end in 1 year from departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.