Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Nope nope nope nope. You CANNOT do an open jaw in the middle of an itinerary. It must be either at the beginning or at the end of the trip. Sorry - I wanted to do EXACTLY that, and they very, very diligently deny it
Um, that's not what happened to me about a year ago. Had no problem with a OJ in Europe in the middle of a mini (same zone). Maybe they've tightened that up? I've also been told before that you can't do the OJ at the end! Who knows with some the reps...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by flyCsG
I am not sure how much earlier I can move the openjaw section up :\ LHR is the first stop
You'd only be allowed to open jaw in YYZ (i.e. you would depart YYZ and return, say, to YUL), *or* in SIN (i.e. you arrive to SIN, but depart, say, from NRT). So unfortunately, you should strongly consider NOT arriving to LHR, because a) you will pay crazy AC fuel surcharges, and b) your onward connection will be LHR-SIN, so the Air Passenger Duty you will pay will be HUGE.

I would recommend flying into a relatively neutral city, i.e. ZRH, BLQ, or hell, even CDG, and either taking the train in, or sign up for an Amex Platinum, get some Avios points, and redeem for an intra-Europe flight using either BA or Avios.com - they have literally infinite availability on internal BA flights, so you could hop over to LHR, do what you need, fly back out to your city of origin and continue your trip.

I did YUL-ZRH-MUC-BLQ, then BLQ-LHR-BLQ, then BLQ-IST-SIN, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:01 pm

You'd only be allowed to open jaw in YYZ (i.e. you would depart YYZ and return, say, to YUL), *or* in SIN (i.e. you arrive to SIN, but depart, say, from NRT). So unfortunately, you should strongly consider NOT arriving to LHR, because a) you will pay crazy AC fuel surcharges, and b) your onward connection will be LHR-SIN, so the Air Passenger Duty you will pay will be HUGE.

I would recommend flying into a relatively neutral city, i.e. ZRH, BLQ, or hell, even CDG, and either taking the train in, or sign up for an Amex Platinum, get some Avios points, and redeem for an intra-Europe flight using either BA or Avios.com - they have literally infinite availability on internal BA flights, so you could hop over to LHR, do what you need, fly back out to your city of origin and continue your trip.

Heartily agree with this alternative...much simpler, though a bit more expensive.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:09 pm

Darn, this is more complicated than I thought.

I actually found a United flight for YYZ-LHR (don't mind the layover in US) to avoid the Air Canada fuel surcharge. But I guess if the itinerary doesn't work, then it's kinda pointless. Didn't think about the passenger duty though - thanks for pointing that out.

Will look into Avios/local European airlines alternatives. Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:29 pm

Darn, this is more complicated than I thought.

I actually found a United flight for YYZ-LHR (don't mind the layover in US) to avoid the Air Canada fuel surcharge. But I guess if the itinerary doesn't work, then it's kinda pointless. Didn't think about the passenger duty though - thanks for pointing that out.

Will look into Avios/local European airlines alternatives. Thanks.
Departing LHR after a stopover is to be avoided at all costs. Transiting/connecting is much more bearable cost wise, so use PseudoNim's advice and use Avios or take the Chunnel to LON. Also consider airlines like LX,TK,UA,US,(SN?),MK,BR,CA to avoid extra YQ "scam" charges when booking with AE. There is a complete list on here somewhere...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
Departing LHR after a stopover is to be avoided at all costs. Transiting/connecting is much more bearable cost wise, so use PseudoNim's advice and use Avios or take the Chunnel to LON. Also consider airlines like LX,TK,UA,US,(SN?),MK,BR,CA to avoid extra YQ "scam" charges when booking with AE. There is a complete list on here somewhere...
I was under the understanding that departing London intra-europe wasn't too bad. But departing London intercontinental was to be avoided at all costs...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by BMGfan
I was under the understanding that departing London intra-europe wasn't too bad. But departing London intercontinental was to be avoided at all costs...
This is correct. Sorry - we went with the OP's statement that he's going on to Singapore after. Of course, if he were to go to FRA or something, and spend 24 hours and 1 minute there, then all would be well.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
You could fly London to Paris (via FRA or CPH maybe), rather than having it open-jaw.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:30 am

Thanks guys! CDG was just a random stop. It's my first time traveling to Europe and would like to go someplace other than London.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Thanks guys! CDG was just a random stop. It's my first time traveling to Europe and would like to go someplace other than London.
You can still fly to CDG (via ZRH for example to avoid YQ) and take the train from CDG to London (it takes 3h, knowing that LHR - London takes 1h, there is no much difference). Then CDG - IST - SIN ... for example
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: No
Can someone do me a favour and look up the MPM5 for YYC-CPT? Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by rataplan
Can someone do me a favour and look up the MPM5 for YYC-CPT? Thanks!
Here you go:

Code:
YYCCPT-YY 24SEP13

TICKETED POINT SURCHARGES APPLY.
    GI      M        5M       10M       15M       20M       25M

MPM AT  12258     12870     13483     14096     14709     15322
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: No
Here you go:

Code:
YYCCPT-YY 24SEP13

TICKETED POINT SURCHARGES APPLY.
    GI      M        5M       10M       15M       20M       25M

MPM AT  12258     12870     13483     14096     14709     15322
thanks ^
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:08 pm

I am not sure about where I could or would like to stop for less than 24 hours on my way to where I want to go at the moment, but would something like this be possible?

ICN - IST - BCN (stop for 10 days or maybe a week more)
BCN - YUL (Stop for about 2 weeks)
YUL - TLV (stop for a few days)
TLV - ICN

Last edited by erik19283; Sep 25, 2013 at 6:32 pm
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
OK, back to the drawing board. Going to forego Australia for another time.

Here's the latest "plan". Is this doable?

YYC-LAX AC BUSINESS E90
LAX-ICN OZ FIRST 744
ICN-HKG OZ BUSINESS 744
HKG-BKK TG FIRST 744
BKK-DPS TG BUSINESS 330 (TURN)
DPS-BKK TG BUSINESS 330 (STOP)
BKK-CDG TG FIRST 380 (STOP)
CDG-FRA LH BUSINESS 319
FRA-YVR LH ECONOMY 346 (would look for F two weeks out)
YVR-YYC AC BUSINESS 320

1. Adding DPS to this makes it an Asia2, correct? And therefore 180K miles versus 175K?

2. Should a person actually book the FRA-YVR in economy and hope that F comes available or should one be looking at something in F (UA?) to ORD or something like that in order to be guaranteed F? Presumably one could still change to the LH F if it were to come open?

3 I believe the two stops after the turn are allowed, no?

TIA for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.