Mini RTW Questions

Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont know why anyone like me would subject themselves to that (I guess you can get <24 hours en route )
There, I fixed it for you!

Cuz, rank, there are many others who are nowhere near the flying veteran that you are, and who don't mind to actually stay on a plane, for extra hops, and to visit places (albeit short ones) that they've never been to. Inspecting the insides of an airport on a 4 hour stopover, ok, that's stretching it, but for some, who have never set foot in those airports, still find it somewhat interesting. Myself included!

It should be done on a Biz J redemption though, that is one caveat that needs to be mentioned, though I know of others who are young and healthy enough to do it on a Y redemption.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC E50K
YUL-YYZ/ORD-PEK-(WAW/FRA/IST/ATH)-FCO (scamcharge free)
YUL-YYZ-NRT-IST-FCO

Much appreciate, I was trying through HKG and TPE, but didn't think about NRT or PEK as options!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by JJonahJ

Cuz, rank, there are many others who are nowhere near the flying veteran that you are, and who don't mind to actually stay on a plane, for extra hops, and to visit places (albeit short ones) that they've never been to. Inspecting the insides of an airport on a 4 hour stopover, ok, that's stretching it, but for some, who have never set foot in those airports, still find it somewhat interesting. Myself included!

It should be done on a Biz J redemption though, that is one caveat that needs to be mentioned, though I know of others who are young and healthy enough to do it on a Y redemption.

^ I agree!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

I'd never thought I'd be called a veteran at age 35

But if flying extra floats your boat - CA is actually very nice in J
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: *void
I'd never thought I'd be called a veteran at age 35

But if flying extra floats your boat - CA is actually very nice in J
But you started flying solo, when you were what? 5yo?

Besides, just look at your own sig! "135 countries visited". Same number of 'years' flying, and I might be scratching at oh, 25? 30 countries? MAYYYY-BE. Prison time has been a big travelling handicap for me.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you started flying solo, when you were what? 5yo?

Besides, just look at your own sig! "135 countries visited". Same number of 'years' flying, and I might be scratching at oh, 25? 30 countries? MAYYYY-BE. Prison time has been a big travelling handicap for me.
Started travelling at age 21, discovered FT at age 22 - no going back since No prison (yet), but working (sometimes) has been a big travelling handicap for me.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
I've been trying to get mini-RTW to work for me and have always bumped into one rule or another that didn't work.

Origin: YYC
Dest: BRU
Ideal stopovers: YYZ, SIN/NRT
ideal layovers: WAW

I've been looking at YYC-YYZ-WAW-BRU-ZRH-SIN-xxx-YYC.

I'm happy to depart from YYZ instead and can return there as well if needed.
Choosing WAW for reduced YQ on LOT + Friend in WAW.
To reduce YQ and I'd like to try LX in C/F but given that I want to fly somewhere in November, I won't be too picky.

Q list:
1) Can I arrive WAW in the morning and leave in the evening? No C space available during the day, but a couple of flights with only Y award space are around. C space works out perfectly in the evening.
2) I assume starting in YYZ and returning to YYC classifies as a OJ, taking away 1 stopover?
3) I can't figure out what my ticketing destination should be. Gcmap tells me YYC-YYZ-BRU is 5442 miles and SIN-YYC is 8188miles. How do I avoid breaching the 5MPM rule?
4) Should this price out at 90K miles with destination in EU1? Or should it become 150k with stopover in Asia1?

Thanks for helping me build my first big reward ticket!

Last edited by YXXFlyer; Sep 8, 2014 at 1:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
I've been trying to get mini-RTW to work for me and have always bumped into one rule or another that didn't work.

To reduce YQ and I'd like to try LX in C/F but given that I want to fly somewhere in November, I won't be too picky.

Q list:
1) Can I arrive WAW in the morning and leave in the evening? No C space available during the day, but a couple of flights with only Y award space are around. C space works out perfectly in the evening.
2) I assume starting in YYZ and returning to YYC classifies as a OJ, taking away 1 stopover?
3) I can't figure out what my ticketing destination should be. Gcmap tells me YYC-YYZ-BRU is 5442 miles and SIN-YYC is 8188miles. How do I avoid breaching the 5MPM rule?
4) Should this price out at 90K miles with destination in EU1? Or should it become 150k with stopover in Asia1?

For ticketing purposes, SIN is the furthest point from your origin which means that is your destination/point of turnaround. This also means this is an Asia1 award, not a Europe1 award.

MPM5 for YYC-SIN is 14,487 via the Atlantic. Simplest way to build an itinerary to ensure it doesn't go over MPM is to use www.gcmap.com and input all of the segments.

Connections for international flights are anything under 24 hours, so arriving in WAW in the morning and departing in the afternoon wouldn't count as a stop. Having an open jaw does remove a stop over.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I
2) I assume starting in YYZ and returning to YYC classifies as a OJ, taking away 1 stopover?!
1) you can stay up to 24 hours at WAW without it counting as a stopover
2) just book a YYZ-YYC leg the day after you arrive in YYZ, and skip it, if not flying back to YYC.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Q list:

For ticketing purposes, SIN is the furthest point from your origin which means that is your destination/point of turnaround. This also means this is an Asia1 award, not a Europe1 award.

MPM5 for YYC-SIN is 14,487 via the Atlantic. Simplest way to build an itinerary to ensure it doesn't go over MPM is to use www.gcmap.com and input all of the segments.

Connections for international flights are anything under 24 hours, so arriving in WAW in the morning and departing in the afternoon wouldn't count as a stop. Having an open jaw does remove a stop over.
Remember as well that if it is a valid routing via ITA it is still a valid route even if it is over mpm5
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Remember as well that if it is a valid routing via ITA it is still a valid route even if it is over mpm5
of course this only applies when ITA prices the routing as one fare - sometimes it's cheaper to combine two fares and ITA will price it that way while it may not be a valid published routing.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The return does matter, because with AP it's either MPM or published routing. Assuming the connection via IAH is a published routing, there's no way the return via BOG would be permitted. From what I know Aeroplan calculates published routing as from all segments including open jaws, which is why the BOG connection is relevant here.
There is a lot mentioning of published routing in this thread and forum. IN one of my bookings I was told by 2 reps that it does not apply to award tickets only rev tickets. However, on the third try I got it without the need to talk about it at all.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:24 pm

Q list:

The way you have it should be fine but it will cost you Asia not Europe points. There are lots of booked trips to Asia via Europe in the other thread, look it up. I took a trip from YYC to Asia and back through Europe just earlier this year. Its in the other thread. Whatthehell : YYC-YVR-PEK-SIN-BKK-CDG-FRA-KRK-WAW-ORD-YYC
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Thanks all. Very helpful! ^
I'll puzzle a bit more and try to get it booked before inventory disappears..
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by yerffej201
of course this only applies when ITA prices the routing as one fare - sometimes it's cheaper to combine two fares and ITA will price it that way while it may not be a valid published routing.
What do you mean by "cheaper"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.