Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
You mean you AREN'T planning on connecting to SIN-AKL at 8:45? Come on! Where's the fighting spirit!! Lol.
on J no problem however much I like SQ I am not sure I could catch another 7 hour flight on Y
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
on J no problem however much I like SQ I am not sure I could catch another 7 hour flight on Y
Actually I think even in J it would probably be a bit too long, haha. Worst case you could catch the 9pm and sleep the day. But yeah, the arrival time is not ideal. Is SQ325 available, arriving at 5pm?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:52 am

Actually I think even in J it would probably be a bit too long, haha. Worst case you could catch the 9pm and sleep the day. But yeah, the arrival time is not ideal. Is SQ325 available, arriving at 5pm?
I know. It just means less time in SIN. Sounds absurd but am looking forward to the CP and enjoying SIN Airport before taking another flight……..At Least with SQ15 I arrive at around 1am in the morning which means I get nearly 20hours plenty of time for sleeping….p.s I do not sleep at all on planes
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I know. It just means less time in SIN. Sounds absurd but am looking forward to the CP and enjoying SIN Airport before taking another flight……..At Least with SQ15 I arrive at around 1am in the morning which means I get nearly 20hours plenty of time for sleeping….p.s I do not sleep at all on planes
Good lord, doing this in Y is just impressive haha. If I were you, I'd really just try and do the following:

YUL-JFK
JFK-SFO/LAX on United
SFO/LAX-AKL on Air New Zealand (stopover)
AKL-SYD (turnaround)
SYD-SIN (stopover)
SIN-NRT-LAX on Singapore
LAX-YUL

If you're doing Y there should be no problem with availability on Air New Zealand (but it really depends on your dates of travel), and it's 9436mi instead of 15804mi to Auckland. There's nothing at all wrong with Air New Zealand economy either, and no fuel surcharges. Try all their gateways (SFO, LAX, YVR).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Good lord, doing this in Y is just impressive haha. If I were you, I'd really just try and do the following:

YUL-JFK
JFK-SFO/LAX on United
SFO/LAX-AKL on Air New Zealand (stopover)
AKL-SYD (turnaround)
SYD-SIN (stopover)
SIN-NRT-LAX on Singapore
LAX-YUL

If you're doing Y there should be no problem with availability on Air New Zealand (but it really depends on your dates of travel), and it's 9436mi instead of 15804mi to Auckland. There's nothing at all wrong with Air New Zealand economy either, and no fuel surcharges. Try all their gateways (SFO, LAX, YVR).
I know I am a real trooper!

This would be my ideal itinerary. I am trying to workout when NZ load their space to their award partners. I would say in Y they load it around 9 months in advance. I am watching ANA carefully. I will probably book a dummy ticket for now and then change if it/when the space is there. My preferred dates are 6/Dec - 5/Jan
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:54 am

YQ, but definitely not United hehe...
12/6 SFO-NRT 11:10-15:25+1 NH7 OR
12/6 LAX-NRT 11:30-16:25+1 NH5 THEN
12/7 NRT-AKL 18:25-09:30+1 NZ90

Last edited by arcticbull; Jan 5, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:59 am

12/6 lax-nrt 11:30-16:25+1 nh5
12/7 nrt-akl 18:25-09:30+1 nz90
Careful with NH - scamcharges baloney. Particularly for Y, not worth it.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:05 am

Careful with NH - scamcharges baloney. Particularly for Y, not worth it.
Yeah, definitely -- I was just writing that in as you quoted me I figured it more as a placeholder itinerary until something preferable opened up. Does shave off 2000mi, which is what, 4-5h of air time. Depending on what you consider your time worth XD the YQ may balance out. But that's not my decision to make hehe.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:11 pm

Yeah, definitely -- I was just writing that in as you quoted me I figured it more as a placeholder itinerary until something preferable opened up. Does shave off 2000mi, which is what, 4-5h of air time. Depending on what you consider your time worth XD the YQ may balance out. But that's not my decision to make hehe.
Thanks for all the help. I did some intense research this afternoon and it seems NZ are releasing award space out pretty regularly to LAX/SFO around 7 months before the date… So I will probably book a dummy ticket (hopefully with SQ or if not UA/BR) and then change it to NZ if the space comes out. I will keep all informed how this pans out!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:22 pm

Thanks for all the help. I did some intense research this afternoon and it seems NZ are releasing award space out pretty regularly to LAX/SFO around 7 months before the date… So I will probably book a dummy ticket (hopefully with SQ or if not UA/BR) and then change it to NZ if the space comes out. I will keep all informed how this pans out!
When your are checking out your availabilities for Y, look at J as well as I will be trying again to book something like your trip this year for next year but from YYC.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jan 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
When your are checking out your availabilities for Y, lool at J as well as I will be trying again to book something like your trip this year for next year but from YYC.
What time of the year?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:58 pm

What time of the year?
Anywhere from March to July next year. Looking for tricks to get it and Europe the same trip. And NZ seat releases timing.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:51 pm

Seats released on Turkish Airlines

Hello there - A couple questions about Turkish Airlines:

Does anyone know when Turkish Airlines tends to release seats in economy class?

And I see on Expert Flyer that there are seats available on Turkish airlines in early-mid September next year (yyz-ist-bkk). But when I look up specific legs of my mini-rtw on the same dates on the Aeroplan site, the Turkish airline options do not come up. When expert flyer shows seats are available, does that mean that they are available to anyone wishing to book through a Star Alliance partner?

Cheers
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:08 pm

Yes. Also consider that you can fly over the Atlantic:

Atlantic:
1. YMQ-AC-NYC-FRA-SIN-SQ/MI-AKL
2. YMQ-FRA-SIN-SQ/MI-AKL

Pacific:
1. YMQ-AC-YVR/YTO-AC-SFO-SQ-SEL/HKG-SIN-SQ/MI-AKL
2. YMQ-AC-YVR/YTO-AC-LAX-SQ-TYO-SIN-SQ/MI-AKL

So although YUL-FRA is a bad idea, you could do JFK-FRA-SIN on a SQ A380, which often has Y space.

Interesting - I have been trying to book a routing from YYZ to AKL via BKK on the way there, and IST on the way back. No luck. The option seems to be to turn around in Sydney, and buy a separate ticket from Australia to New Zealand. If Sydney is the destination, the aeroplan agent assured me I could get:

YYZ-IST-BKK
BKK - SYD turn around
SYD-BKK-IST stop
IST-YYZ

But I've had very different messages from different agents, so I'd be curious to hear what others think.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Thataway
Hello there - A couple questions about Turkish Airlines:

Does anyone know when Turkish Airlines tends to release seats in economy class?

And I see on Expert Flyer that there are seats available on Turkish airlines in early-mid September next year (yyz-ist-bkk). But when I look up specific legs of my mini-rtw on the same dates on the Aeroplan site, the Turkish airline options do not come up. When expert flyer shows seats are available, does that mean that they are available to anyone wishing to book through a Star Alliance partner?

Cheers
Where are you searching on EF? Make sure you are searching the award bookings; you must be able to pull up that Turkish flight on at least one other search engine. United, ANA, LifeMiles, Aeroplan, anything - if it doesn't come up on ANY of those, then you won't be able to book it (you can use my site, http://FliSea.com to search ANA/Aeroplan/LifeMiles to save some time). Sometimes you must search for the full itinerary to be able to pull up flights (look up "married segments"); that is to say, YYZ-IST won't come up, but YYZ-IST-BKK will. In such a case, you can frequently ask the agent to direct-book the individual segments if you are not interested in the complete routing.

Originally Posted by Thataway
Interesting - I have been trying to book a routing from YYZ to AKL via BKK on the way there, and IST on the way back. No luck. The option seems to be to turn around in Sydney, and buy a separate ticket from Australia to New Zealand. If Sydney is the destination, the aeroplan agent assured me I could get:

YYZ-IST-BKK
BKK - SYD turn around
SYD-BKK-IST stop
IST-YYZ

But I've had very different messages from different agents, so I'd be curious to hear what others think.
This is completely uneventful and fully legal, WELL within the MPM. Don't let any agent tell you this is not going to work, because this is completely reasonable. Recall that (or search upthread, if you just started reading) there are a number of people that booked insanities like going down to JNB, then up to BOM, then down to BKK/SYD, or going FRA-DXB-MUC-east Asia-SYD, and so on. Your routing is very vanilla!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.