Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jtsaltman82
not sure if this was already made clear in earlier pages (didn't seem like it, but didn't check super-thoroughly), but crankyflier's discussion of the reconfig features confirmation from UA that Y will have AVOD
I'm curious as to why, if this is so, the 747 and 767 didn't get it as well?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
They won't be in the fleet for as long before being retired. Less ROI.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
They won't be in the fleet for as long before being retired. Less ROI.
Aren't some 744s newer than 777s?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Aren't some 744s newer than 777s?
Yes, in fact according to a slightly dated annual report, looks like about 9 of the 744s were delivered in 1999 (so newer than the 95-99 772s). About half the 744s were delivered prior to 1994. So as a fleet the 744s are about 3-4 years total age younger than 777s (with more 777s delivered after 1999 than total 744s). However, given the four engine efficiencies the 744s will likely leave the fleet first (as implied by the 350 and 787 order). You could keep some of the newer 744s but you would end up with a very small fleet of only a handful of airframes. Some of the routes the 744 flies require 2-3 airframes a day, depending on maintenance schedules, so really that becomes inefficient (spare parts, crews, planning). Also UAs strategy is some level of consistency imagine the uproar here if you got a 744 with advanced in seat entertainment and then an older one on the way home without. I've seen some cost numbers, adding in seat IFE to a 744 is costly and with already high load factors additional passengers or higher fares just don't result in a sufficient IRR.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
IMO the new Y perks with this conversion will be a very welcomed addition indeed. The lie flat seats in C is great but if you are trapped in Y the AVOD will be nice for me as I don't use any ancillary device to watch anything.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Superguy
IIRC there was a suggestion that the IFE architecture on the 777 was different to the "older generation" 747 and 767 and that on the 777 if you did VOD in the front you had to do it in the back too. And that also drove the need to upgrade the Y cabin on the 777, as the current Y seats supposedly cannot support VOD (seems reasonable as they're not touch screens and the controllers don't have forward/backward/stop/start etc). And that drove the change to 3+3+3, because the floor boxes for the new system can only support three seats each. Maybe completely incorrect, but that was the story being floated a while ago.

Andy
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Additional confirmation of AVOD in Y in the press:
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...on-demand.html
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
^^^

It's about time we hear something about the AVOD. If only UA would release a seatmap and update the suitedreams site to show an aircraft currently being reconfigured!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Skymonster
IIRC there was a suggestion that the IFE architecture on the 777 was different to the "older generation" 747 and 767 and that on the 777 if you did VOD in the front you had to do it in the back too. And that also drove the need to upgrade the Y cabin on the 777, as the current Y seats supposedly cannot support VOD (seems reasonable as they're not touch screens and the controllers don't have forward/backward/stop/start etc). And that drove the change to 3+3+3, because the floor boxes for the new system can only support three seats each. Maybe completely incorrect, but that was the story being floated a while ago.

Andy
The IFE system is the same regardless of aircraft type as it is considered a closed system. The differences in aircraft type pertain to how aircraft information is obtained (Flight Data, PA, etc.) and how F/A calls and reading light requests are made. These are separate systems from the IFE system.

The IFE system is completely configurable such that it would be possible to do VOD in the front and broadcast movies in the back, though this is actually more work than just doing VOD throughout.

As for the change to 3-3-3, this has been commented on before, but the reasoning you state is incorrect. There were several factors involved that caused this to happen but the reason stated is not one of them.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:57 pm

I know this has been mentioned before but Brett Snyder in the article must not be thinking this through.

"but there's nothing worse than being in the 'double excuse me' seat in the middle of five [seats]," .

The new configuration will result in two double excuse me seats per row. One at each window.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by magemarq
I know this has been mentioned before but Brett Snyder in the article must not be thinking this through.

"but there's nothing worse than being in the 'double excuse me' seat in the middle of five [seats]," .

The new configuration will result in two double excuse me seats per row. One at each window.
Hadn't thought of that... good call ^
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
First Retrofitted 777 To Enter Service For United

From Aviation Daily April 1, 2010 Edition..........Not April Fool's either

United Airlines is expected to place its first retrofitted Boeing 777 into service at the end of April. The retrofit will replace a 2x5x2 seating configuration in economy class with a 3x3x3 layout and increase Economy Plus from a maximum of 84 seats to 104 seats. Business class will be upgraded from 45-49 seats to 40 lie-flat beds, while the number of first-class “suites” will fall from 10-12 to eight. The retrofitted 777s will be integrated into the current long-haul network and not assigned to specific routes. United operates 56 777s.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
yep, early April has been mentioned in the master thread for quite some time now:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-seats-16.html
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magemarq

Hadn't thought of that... good call ^
I've been trying to make this point for years, and I believe this was the original rationale for 2-5-2. Think of it like this (the numbers = number of seats between you and the aisle):

1-0 0-1-2-1-0 0-1

vs.

2-1-0 0-1-0 0-1-2

Twice as many people need to crawl over 2 people with 3-3-3.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by jckool44
and i work for United airlines and thats not true at all.
What's not true? Adding 21 E+ seats, adding 2 coach seats, or that many companies require that their employees fly in coach? Or were you the one who posted "i work for united airlines and we can fly first class" on the Trib site, thereby showing off that you misread "adopted by many companies" as "adopted by United"? (Oh, and us paying customers sometimes like to fly up front, too.)

Reading comprehension: :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.