Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob
This is why the rumors are getting less reliable than Tiger Woods sightings, and another reason to wonder why UA won't come out and announce something.
worldtrav has had a pretty stellar record of accuracy on fleet and seat upgrade topics.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I cannot quote my source, but I am confident that the re-configured 777 Y will have AVOD.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:27 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ric_wx
With only 40 C seats, (roughly ~20% reduction from old config) how many international segments will the average 1K have to fly in order to clear 6 systemwide upgrades from Y to C? It does not seem to be promising.
It's ~20% reduction compared to XI/XC old config, but only ~10% reduction compared to old XP config.

Do you find the 10% difference from XI/XC to XP currently to affect your upgrade chances a lot?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:25 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by flyinbob
This is why the rumors are getting less reliable than Tiger Woods sightings, and another reason to wonder why UA won't come out and announce something.
Not an issue if you know which posters to listen to.

UA may have legitimate reasons to wait to give official word, other than just being slow.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Which route first?

Anybody know which route they will give the new plane to first?

Of course, being in SFO, I am biased, and I hope that they do either SFO-LHR or SFO-FRA first. But based upon the last wave of reconfigurations, IAD and ORD were the first winners. But that was also with the 767's which could not do SFO-FRA. Hopefully, some prime routes out of SFO will be given the planes first.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Originally Posted by SFflyer123

Of course, being in SFO, I am biased, and I hope that they do either SFO-LHR or SFO-FRA first. But based upon the last wave of reconfigurations, IAD and ORD were the first winners. But that was also with the 767's which could not do SFO-FRA. Hopefully, some prime routes out of SFO will be given the planes first.
An earlier post suggested it would run between SFO, LHR, and DEN.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:19 pm

777 seat conversions

Originally Posted by schley
I don't think the first 777 that went in a couple weeks ago will be ready for a couple months since it is the first one and they are learning as they go with the this model. Thus regretfully no, I would say.

After this first one I would hope one can be done every 3 weeks or so. I'm not exactly sure how quickly they can rep them out, someone will confidently give us a number, this is FT.
Any clue which routes are going first? I'm flying to Amsterdam from IAD in March and it would be great if we got in an upgraded cabin.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Gordon13
Any clue which routes are going first? I'm flying to Amsterdam from IAD in March and it would be great if we got in an upgraded cabin.
IAD-AMS is mostly likely not going to happen, as even current status is using 23xx, non ER 777, the one in shop converting is 29xx, meant for longer routes.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I can bet it will be used for domestic for the first month out like for ORD-SFO-ORD, or ORD-DEN-ORD. The first converted 744 did the same kind of routing for a while.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
IAD-AMS is mostly likely not going to happen, as even current status is using 23xx, non ER 777, the one in shop converting is 29xx, meant for longer routes.

I can bet it will be used for domestic for the first month out like for ORD-SFO-ORD, or ORD-DEN-ORD. The first converted 744 did the same kind of routing for a while.
As above and earlier in the thread, current mooted route is SFO-LHR-DEN-SFO

Although this is obviously subject to change
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StayUnited

Thanks for the update, we can't wait to get the first new config in service.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by StayUnited

Probably a stupid question, but would that require two planes or could one do it in each 24 hour cycle?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
Probably a stupid question, but would that require two planes or could one do it in each 24 hour cycle?
My guess is this is probably a 48 hour cycle. Running a multi-city itinerary (starting 20 April), it looks like the flight numbers would be as follows

20 Apr UA 954 SFO - LHR 1:03pm - 7:30am(+1)
21 Apr UA 939 LHR - DEN 1:05pm - 3:55pm
21 Apr UA 595 DEN - SFO 6:44pm - 8:24pm
or
21 Apr UA 423 DEN - SFO 9:22pm - 11:17pm
(depends on how long it takes to clean the aircraft)

Aircraft would then overnight in SFO and repeat the cycle on the 22nd.

There will be one aircraft complete coming sometime in early April. The 2nd aircraft would probably not be into service until early July.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by richk_30
it looks like the flight numbers would be as follows

20 Apr UA 954 SFO - LHR 1:03pm - 7:30am(+1)
21 Apr UA 939 LHR - DEN 1:05pm - 3:55pm
21 Apr UA 595 DEN - SFO 6:44pm - 8:24pm
or
21 Apr UA 423 DEN - SFO 9:22pm - 11:17pm
(depends on how long it takes to clean the aircraft)

Aircraft would then overnight in SFO and repeat the cycle on the 22nd.
Or, it may go back DEN-LHR and LHR-SFO and not do any domestic runs.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or, it may go back DEN-LHR and LHR-SFO and not do any domestic runs.
Entirely possible, and fleet operations may dictate a completely different routing based upon an MX on another aircraft.

My guess is, however, that UA Engineering and Maintenance will want to see this aircraft after each cycle in order to identify any items that can be corrected for follow on aircraft. The nature of a prototype aircraft is to identify issues now so that you don't have them propogate into 30 aircraft (which would be more costly to fix later).
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Not at all true, economy has AVOD.
Phew, that's good news! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.