Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:19 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
According to the United Fleet Flyerguide wiki, 77XQs are getting the lower lobe crew rest area. They won't need 2A then will they?

See the Flyerguide wiki here:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...Fleet_%28UA%29
The LLRC is for the FA's . The cockpit have 2A.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why? They don't have to make it bidirectional.
The reason why the SFO/DEN/LHR rotation will require two planes for it to be scheduled exclusively with the new equipment is that a single rotation takes more than 24 hours. Basically a simple SFO/LHR rotation is > 24 hours once you allow 2hr on the ground at each end. When you add the short DEN/SFO flight in, you become way over 24 hours, so the next day's flight will have left long before the previous day's flight has returned.

Of course, they may choose only to put one newly configured plane on the route rather than two, but that would mean that they will have to reshuffle all the seat allocations every other day - which won't go down well with the GAs or the pax.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
The LLRC is for the FA's . The cockpit have 2A.
I thought if the airplane had the lower lobe rest a crew bunk (for the flightdeck) was forward of door 1L?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
they may choose only to put one newly configured plane on the route rather than two
Which is what they'll be doing with the first plane anyway.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
that would mean that they will have to reshuffle all the seat allocations every other day
No shuffling - they'll know well ahead of time (hopefully) which days have which config.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA ExpPlat, Delta DM
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I thought if the airplane had the lower lobe rest a crew bunk (for the flightdeck) was forward of door 1L?
Yes that is right if there is a lower lobe crew crest for FA, there is also crew rest for cockpits in front of 1L. There are no seats to block out for crew rest. However UA could use seats for operation reasons.

It looks like the only exception would be the old XC/XI aircraft that are being converted to XD/XJ that would need first class seats taken out for pilot crew rest. It depends on the length of flight.

Last edited by AirForce915; Apr 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm Reason: Add and Correct information
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:54 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Yes but they can't eat their meal in a bunk. Many will eat then rest from their seat which is 2A on the reconfig 777 . I don't know any other way to explain it to you of the 8 seats they're 6-7 for pax due to the flt time and cockpit duty day. So when you see a seat map take 2A out of your wish list seat of choice on an Int'l flt.

Last edited by Aluminum tubing; Apr 15, 2010 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:01 pm

found this seating map

http://www.flightarrivals.com/cgi-bi....1.7.1.3.2.1.1

may be generic, but at least you can see what it may look like
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 1967cougar

Pretty cool website! However, it still has Y with the 2-5-2 layout, not the 3-3-3...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1967cougar

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Pretty cool website! However, it still has Y with the 2-5-2 layout, not the 3-3-3...
None of the seat maps have new config, even the 744. When they do it will be pretty nice.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:54 am

Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
777 instead of "Suite Dreams" 767 from GRU to ORD

Just booked a flight from Sao Paulo to ORD in late June. Last week when I was looking at the flights, it had the reconfigured 767 listed. Now, when I booked it, it has a 777. I wonder if this will be one of the early reconfigured 777 since they promote the route from Sao Paulo to Chicago as having the new suite dream seats. I sure hope so.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
None of the seat maps have new config, even the 744. When they do it will be pretty nice.
If you mouse over the C seats in the 744 map it shows the new seat -- but the configuration shown is for the old seats. The 3D imaging is nice but the facts are just so wrong!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texasex95
Just booked a flight from Sao Paulo to ORD in late June. Last week when I was looking at the flights, it had the reconfigured 767 listed. Now, when I booked it, it has a 777. I wonder if this will be one of the early reconfigured 777 since they promote the route from Sao Paulo to Chicago as having the new suite dream seats. I sure hope so.
If they substitute the old configuration for the new one, and you paid for business, they certainly won't refund your money unless it's a refundable C fare. Unless the fare you got is a great bargain, if you paid for business, you might consider cancelling your ticket during the 24 hour period after booking.

I am always aware on UA this could happen to me if I book Z in the new config, and it makes me nervous thinking about it since I know I would have a fight at the gate with someone when I discovered the situation.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Yes but they can't eat their meal in a bunk. Many will eat then rest from their seat which is 2A on the reconfig 777 . I don't know any other way to explain it to you of the 8 seats they're 6-7 for pax due to the flt time and cockpit duty day. So when you see a seat map take 2A out of your wish list seat of choice on an Int'l flt.
I have a high level of respect for pilots, but I have to say that I find this excessive and, to some degree, disrespectful to passengers. Could the new business class seats have sufficed for pilot rests? (I understand why the old business seats didn't). In first class, why would the crew rest seats need to litterally be the best seats in the cabin? Why couldn't they have been middle seats, as they are for sleeping anyway? Is it really true that a first class seat (or two) is needed to eat a meal? Couldn't meals be eaten in an FA type crew seat in coach? I have to say I haven't seen this crew seat thing in F cabins (or C cabins) on other airlines (BA, LH). How do the crews eat on those flights?
Respectfully submitted,
SAN 1K
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:47 am

The crew rest on the reconfigured 777 is actually a first class seat in a box, forward of 1L, it's not a bunk.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Given the volcano issues in Europe might the new config be running more domestic routes in the short term? I thought it was to go into service right around today...

Whomever gets to ride it take good notes! Specifically in Y (given C/F is well known by now):

0. How are the new seats v. the old in terms of comfort?
1. Does the seat slide forward during recline as opposed to seat back?
2. Cupholder?
3. Footrest?
4. Ease of access to AC plugs?
5. Size and readability of screen?
6. How sensitive is the touch screen?
7. Has E+ shrunk v. old config (34" v. ~35"?) Is seat any narrower/wider than 18" model in old config?
8. Other observations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.