Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Write in to UA and report this. Also, as a suggestion for next time, I would have had a conversation with the purser right around meal time when I was skipped. One mistake, ok. Two, ok. Three, its a pattern. Just a suggestion for next time (should there be a next time) as having these things drawn out on a 12+ hour flight can really ruin an experience.
This almost exactly describes the situation I had on the same route (SFO-AKL) a couple of months back!

I guess the more "prestigious" or novel the route, the worse the onboard experience
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by samjnz
This almost exactly describes the situation I had on the same route (SFO-AKL) a couple of months back!

I guess the more "prestigious" or novel the route, the worse the onboard experience
Not sure what your second statement means aka what are 'novel' routes. It might just be a particular FA, so I encourage the OP to write-in. I've flown the new 77W to TYO, TPE, and HKG and have all had great experiences. The FA's seemed to really enjoy talking about the 'new' product and their thoughts and UA management in general. I always ask for their perspective and provide mine (as an outsider).
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by samjnz
Which of those do you think SFO-AKL is? I would say neither.

UA long-haul has always been russian roulette for service quality due to the seniority-based assignments. Figure about a 5-10% chance you get genuinely poor service. They type of service OP reported here is more like 1/1000.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:50 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by eeflyer
It's disappointing that UA seems to be slowly cutting as much as it can from Polaris. It's bad enough that folks are not guaranteed amenities such as PJs and mattress pads. However, I did observe troubling behavior during a SFO-TPE flight last December. While sitting in e+ during boarding, I noticed at least 2 FAs carrying 2-3 gel pillows each and going to the back (crew rest I presume?), only to return 5 minutes later. There must have been a nice sized pillow fort in the bunks I'd be disappointed if I was a paying J customer and was not able to get one.

Has anyone observed anything similar?
I've not seen/experienced that, but I did read someplace that the crew are each allotted a gel pillow for their rest break (i.e. The airplane is stocked with the number of pillows equal to the crew count + passenger allocation). I wouldn't be surprised if they were all boarded in a central place (the J cabin) and it was up to them to move their pillows to the crew rest area. The optics of retrieving the pillows after passengers are on board is not optimal, though...
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
I've not seen/experienced that, but I did read someplace that the crew are each allotted a gel pillow for their rest break (i.e. The airplane is stocked with the number of pillows equal to the crew count + passenger allocation). I wouldn't be surprised if they were all boarded in a central place (the J cabin) and it was up to them to move their pillows to the crew rest area. The optics of retrieving the pillows after passengers are on board is not optimal, though...
The crew rest has the same Saks bedding amenities as the passengers do.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It's a known fact that the airplane is not stocked with the number of pillows equal to the crew + passenger count. On one flight to Asia (16 hours flight), my wife went to the galley just after lunch to request a gel pillow. The last one was given to the person who had requested it just before my wife. That person had also gone to the galley and was still standing there waiting for the FA to come back with her gel pillow. To apologize for the lack of the gel pillow, the FA gave my wife 2 pajamas. My wife said that was not needed but the FA insisted that she take it. I guess it was recovery mode. I was on the same flight (no gel pillow for me either) and can tell you that very few passengers had gel pillows. Since then, we request the gel pillows at time of boarding to guarantee that we each get one.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's a known fact that the airplane is not stocked with the number of pillows equal to the crew + passenger count. On one flight to Asia (16 hours flight), my wife went to the galley just after lunch to request a gel pillow. The last one was given to the person who had requested it just before my wife. That person had also gone to the galley and was still standing there waiting for the FA to come back with her gel pillow. To apologize for the lack of the gel pillow, the FA gave my wife 2 pajamas. My wife said that was not needed but the FA insisted that she take it. I guess it was recovery mode. I was on the same flight (no gel pillow for me either) and can tell you that very few passengers had gel pillows. Since then, we request the gel pillows at time of boarding to guarantee that we each get one.
I did not read the post which you quated the same way you had. The crew does receive the same saks amenities which I mentioned. However the post you quoted mentions crew count plus passenger allocation which is generally accurate.

On my last couple of recent flights as fsr as I know I was the only person to request the gel pillow for the overnight flight and one of two people to request the pillow for the daytime flight. The mattress pads were not touched on either flight.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Meola10

I did not read the post which you quated the same way you had. The crew does receive the same saks amenities which I mentioned. However the post you quoted mentions crew count plus passenger allocation which is generally accurate.

On my last couple of recent flights as fsr as I know I was the only person to request the gel pillow for the overnight flight and one of two people to request the pillow for the daytime flight. The mattress pads were not touched on either flight.
It does not help that it's "generally" accurate if it was not accurate in our flight. Let's see, on the 772 we usually take, there are 8 Polaris First and 40 Polaris Business + whatever number of crew. There were not 48 gel pillows + the number allocated to the crew. Looking that in that flight in Polaris Business there were at most 10 passengers with a gel pillow (I did not look into the Polaris First cabin), if their count was accurate, the FAs should have found gel pillows for us. And, unfortunately, that flight was when the other small pillow had been "enhanced" from Polaris.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by Kacee
Which of those do you think SFO-AKL is? I would say neither.

UA long-haul has always been russian roulette for service quality due to the seniority-based assignments. Figure about a 5-10% chance you get genuinely poor service. They type of service OP reported here is more like 1/1000.
Novel from a bidding perspective. I'd imagine all the Senior FAs would snap up all the new long block time routes (I mean, they must get tired of rest days in London, etc all the time)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:06 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Originally Posted by Meola10
Correct! Passenger allocation does not equal passenger count in this case.

A F/A friend of mine said that before the introduction of Polaris they were advised that the extra amenities (pillows, mattress pads) were going to be boarded at 60% of passenger count. I don't know if they've adjusted that (up *or* down) but I doubt they boosted it to 100%.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by madix
- The air vent in front of us was pointing at us full blast. Asked FA to fix it. Nothing happened.
(Oh and the sundae was awful too. The butterscotch sauce had huge clumps of gelatinous goo and the ice cream had ice crystals.)
Agree, that must be annoying. I do find some FA's have memory issues, not sure why they can't write things down. I also often have trouble getting someone's attention during the dark parts of the flight and I usually sit in a bulkhead right next to the galley. I have the same issue in domestic F. I get a drink with my meal. If I am not proactive or havent finished my drink by the time they come get my tray, then I've pretty much lost my chance to get a refill. Towards the end of the flight, the FA will come by and I'll hand them my glass asking for a refill, but either they ignore me or they don't hear me and assume I am handing them my glass to take away for cleanup. I always choose a window seat so I don't want to bug the person next to me just to walk up and get a drink. When I force it, I can see some frustration in their face like "why does he want a refill this late in the flight, why didnt he ask earlier".

The 77W polaris seats are nice because you can get out easily and walk up to the galley to request what you want.

Just curious, why were you unable to adjust the vent yourself? Was it broken, too tight?
The sundae isnt really anything the FA has much control over.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

A F/A friend of mine said that before the introduction of Polaris they were advised that the extra amenities (pillows, mattress pads) were going to be boarded at 60% of passenger count. I don't know if they've adjusted that (up *or* down) but I doubt they boosted it to 100%.
It is quite annoying that if you want a pillow you have to time your request early enough so they don't run out. I seem to commonly choose my seat directly across from where they store the pillows so I keep an eye on the inventory but I shouldn't have to.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Please help!

Currently booked LAX - SIN in late summer.

Happy with the seat (thanks for feedback!), but need help with meals and a flight time change issue.

being an AC flyer, I realize I won’t get first choice of meals on UA, but would like to avoid Pasta.

Is there any intel on the Asian Veg, or other special meals on the LAX/SFO-SIN flights? Are they good, or should I just roll the dice on what the 3-4 options that are normally available?

also, I realize crews/experiences can vary, but is there any feedback on crews out of LAX vs. SFO?

I had an itinerary change and am trying to decide if I accept it YVR-LAX-SIN, oR change it to YVR-SFO-SIN.

Currently have a 2 hr l/o in LAX, or would end up with a 1:30-ish L/O if I change to SFO....

Any thoughts or feedback would be great! Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum

Passenger allocation is still 60% for gel pillows. Mattress pads are down to 40%. Asia flights are 100% slipper provisioned, all others are at 60%. These are all supposed to be boarded at the departure station

PJs are provisioned at 60% for the round trip on 12+ hour flights. Like the (100% provisioned) amenity kits, they are boarded on the ex-US flight. If the outbound uses them all or misplaces them, the return may not have the correct provisioning.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by doubleflier
.... Is there any intel on the Asian Veg, or other special meals on the LAX/SFO-SIN flights? Are they good, or should I just roll the dice on what the 3-4 options that are normally available? ....
These may help

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-business.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.