Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
This 772 is the one with 2-4-2 seating. I did notice that for the same price from ORD I could have flown with AA with a 1-2-1 seating.....
I've been noticing that kind of stuff a lot lately.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

UA can’t even get the right dog on the right plane - why do you think UA can actually get a pre-ordered meal to the right passenger? The potential for UA to totally mess up pre-ordered meals is about 100%.
The fact that Singapore Air and others do "book the cook" even for Economy class suggests that United should be able to do it. Hell even Air Asia allows you to order meals ahead of time.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by wco81
Gary Leff cites some newsletter as saying that Kirby doesn't like Polaris and will look to scale it back.
I have a feeling by the time I get to enjoy a Polaris lounge or a Polaris seat there won't be anything left to enjoy!
iluv2fly, UAL250 and mr8 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by porciuscato
The fact that Singapore Air and others do "book the cook" even for Economy class suggests that United should be able to do it. Hell even Air Asia allows you to order meals ahead of time.
United can't even load the right wines, to the point that specific wines sometimes aren't listed on the J menus.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
United can't even load the right wines, to the point that specific wines sometimes aren't listed on the J menus.
Oh they're back listing them, they're just dreadful...
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew the new Polaris seat for the first time Sunday UA78 NRT>>EWR. The new seat is a huge improvement, and the Narita-based crew did an excellent job. On the whole, it was a very nice experience.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Oh they're back listing them, they're just dreadful...
Oh, I don't quite agree. They're some of the best $7 wines I've had. I start with champagne. It's usually pretty good. By the time I get to the red I no longer care if it's crap.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Oh, I don't quite agree. They're some of the best $7 wines I've had. I start with champagne. It's usually pretty good. By the time I get to the red I no longer care if it's crap.
I start with Champagne and if I'm lucky enough I get my first choice of meal of whatever fish it is, so I can continue with Champagne. And then if I'm even luckier I'm going to some place where passengers are not used to drink Champagne, so the FAs feel that I'm the perfect passenger to continue serving Champagne.

And not mixing drinks is the sure way to avoid getting a headache.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I think UA should just do costco wines. partner with costco and get on with its program. Costco has some lovely wines at good prices.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Flew IAD to LHR on Sunday night (after almost missing the flight when my CMH to IAD connection was temporarily canceled because of a Lav light being out). It was just about a mediocre experience as possible. I dont look for a lot of service on this short flight. However, I didnt even get offered water pre flight and couldn't even ask for it as I could not get the FA's attention. Had one of the worst Polaris flight attendants I have ever had. Here are a sampling of the things that annoyed him:
-When taking my meal order, he huffed when I asked if I could see the menu?
-Huffed when I asked for the wine flight (had the cart but had to walk back to get the small grey holder and glasses)
-Was annoyed when before sleeping I asked for some water....
-Was nice enough to have his bag over my seat and constantly went in and out of the overhead bin.

The wine was ok and the meal was average and not worth complaining about... the attitude of service was so bad I just had to laugh.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
-Huffed when I asked for the wine flight (had the cart but had to walk back to get the small grey holder and glasses)
-Was annoyed when before sleeping I asked for some water....
-Was nice enough to have his bag over my seat and constantly went in and out of the overhead bin.
You're a monster!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just came of SFO-AKL and SYD-SFO. Really a big difference between the privacy of the 77W and the 772.
Some comments.
1. Pajamas: I asked during boarding "can I get pj's when you get a chance". SFO-AKL, the guy got them for me immediately, but wrong size. SYD-SFO, the lady said after boarding then never came back. I saw the people behind me got PJ's from another FA so I asked him and he promptly got them for me (and slippers).
2. Hot Bites: I was asleep on SFO-AKL, but not on SYD-SFO and was able to get either grilled cheese + soup or fish+chips. Fish+chips sounded interesting at first, but I can't imagine how it could be good on a plane so I didn't bother.
3. I always pick a bulkhead seat mainly for the foot well. Also because there is a "shelf" on top of the IFE where I put stuff. On the 772, there's no storage space. The 77W is better. Usually excess pillows and blankets. 50% of the time, an FA will move them to the overhead for takeoff+landing saying they will fall, the other 50%, they dont care. They've never fallen off before for me. In cruise, I've never been bothered except on SYD-SFO. It seemed like within 10min of me putting something there, one specific FA would come buy and move it. When I stuck my laptop bag up there, he came by and handed it to me. The only positive was that when the FA would take forever to get my tray, I noticed that when I stuck it up there, he got it really quick.
3. Generally, it seems the FA's never know where the extra (gel pillow, mattress pad, pjs) are placed. When asked, the most common response is "ok, I have to find them". On both flights, I had to tell the FA where to get them from.
5. On SYD-SFO, I found the FA's were overall less "friendly" though not rude.
6. In the past, when offered ice cream, they'd ALSO ask if I wanted some of the dessert bites as well. On both flights, I was not offered this though they would have them out during the mid-flight portions for you to take.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
In the past, when offered ice cream, they'd ALSO ask if I wanted some of the dessert bites as well. On both flights, I was not offered this though they would have them out during the mid-flight portions for you to take.
Same on my recent flight HKG-SFO. A little disappointing because I'm not a fan of UA's ice cream and this was one of the more meaningful Polaris soft product "enhancements" for me.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Same on my recent flight HKG-SFO. A little disappointing because I'm not a fan of UA's ice cream and this was one of the more meaningful Polaris soft product "enhancements" for me.
I should be more clear. The cart had ice cream and the dessert bites on it. The FA asked "would you like ice cream" and I always say "yes". Sometimes they also offer me the dessert bites, sometimes they dont.

In your case, if you turn down the ice cream, I would assume, that they would then offer you the dessert bites as an alternative. I assume if I spoke up and specifically asked, he would give me some as well.

Was this the same case for you on HKG-SFO, or were you not offered either or were the dessert bites missing from the cart?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Was this the same case for you on HKG-SFO, or were you not offered either or were the dessert bites missing from the cart?
I couldn't see the cart, I was in an odd numbered L seat on the 77W. All I know I was never offered anything but ice cream.

There was a very sparse selection in the galley later in the flight.

My guess is they're provisioning less of them, so the FAs don't offer because they're afraid they'll run out.
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.