Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Thanks for the info WineCountryUA.....I had no luck initially on those threads so far re: special meals, but will try/review again.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doubleflier
being an AC flyer, I realize I won’t get first choice of meals on UA, but would like to avoid Pasta.

Is there any intel on the Asian Veg, or other special meals on the LAX/SFO-SIN flights? Are they good, or should I just roll the dice on what the 3-4 options that are normally available?
Do you have special dietary restrictions? If so, you should probably order a special meal. If not, I'd just roll the dice. You are unlikely to be stuck with pasta, that's usually one of the more popular choices.

IMO the fish is consistently the best choice on UA long-haul. YMMV.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee

YMMV indeed. Sometimes the fish is very smelly.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fezzington
Passenger allocation is still 60% for gel pillows. Mattress pads are down to 40%. Asia flights are 100% slipper provisioned, all others are at 60%. These are all supposed to be boarded at the departure station

PJs are provisioned at 60% for the round trip on 12+ hour flights. Like the (100% provisioned) amenity kits, they are boarded on the ex-US flight. If the outbound uses them all or misplaces them, the return may not have the correct provisioning.
So, on a 772 with 8 Polaris First and 40 Polaris Business, there should have been 28 gel pillows allocated for passengers. Let's consider that the 8 Polaris First passengers got their gel pillow. There are still 20 allocated for Polaris Business. On my flight, only 10 of those passengers got them. Still missing 10 which meant my wife and I didn't get one. And this was a departure flight from ORD.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
So, on a 772 with 8 Polaris First and 40 Polaris Business, there should have been 28 gel pillows allocated for passengers. Let's consider that the 8 Polaris First passengers got their gel pillow. There are still 20 allocated for Polaris Business. On my flight, only 10 of those passengers got them. Still missing 10 which meant my wife and I didn't get one. And this was a departure flight from ORD.
You forgot to include the crew allocation ....sorry sir we are all out! (Right as a crew member carries 3 down the aisle)

Ask early is the key. Sad to hear about only 40% mattress pads as this seems low.
narvik and gcashin like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Do you have special dietary restrictions? If so, you should probably order a special meal. If not, I'd just roll the dice. You are unlikely to be stuck with pasta, that's usually one of the more popular choices.

Thanks for the replies... no dietary restrictions in my case (though I have been eating a lot more plant based since early last year). I appreciate the feedback and will take your advise and roll the dice.

Cheers!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sometimes the fish is very smelly.
Huh. I've really not had that problem in dozens of BF/Polaris flights. I've had more inedible cuts of beef and wallpaper paste pastas than I care to recall though.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by doubleflier
Thanks for the replies... no dietary restrictions in my case (though I have been eating a lot more plant based since early last year). I appreciate the feedback and will take your advise and roll the dice.

Cheers!
I would recommend a bulkhead row if meal choice is important - meal prioritization among non-1K pax is usually front to back, and usually 1-4 and 5-8 separately in the 789.

But even in 8L the odds of getting stuck with the single menu item you don't want are very slim.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:23 am

Thanks Findark, i got the bulkhead secured, and appreciate the tips.

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh. I've really not had that problem in dozens of BF/Polaris flights. I've had more inedible cuts of beef and wallpaper paste pastas than I care to recall though.
Indeed, on multiple business class flights I always found the fish/seafood main dish fresh & tasty - cannot recall any bad experience at all. YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I really hope you write in to UA and report your experience with the FA. I had a similar experience with an FA on my very first Polaris flight such that my seat mate asked why the FA obviously disliked me so much.
UA did respond to my email telling me they would contact the supervisor of the FA for "retraining ".
I did report it to UA but heard nothing. Yeah, my wife made the same comment to me about the FA's dislike of me.

Most probably the 777-300ER with the new Polaris seats and 1-2-1 configuration.
Yeah, that's right. The plane was put into service in June 2017 I think the captain said. My flight was in Jan 2018.

Originally Posted by eng3
Just curious, why were you unable to adjust the vent yourself? Was it broken, too tight?
The sundae isnt really anything the FA has much control over.
The vent was right above the person in front. Since the Polaris seats are quite large we couldn't reach it. We asked a second flight attendant (the one on my wife's side) and even he had to climb over the person to close the vent off. I think the person in front didn't know how to operate the vent.

My comment about the sundae was in parentheses because it was an aside about how even the Polaris dessert on my flight was bad. Polaris is supposed to be their best and what I got was ignored and gelatinous goo.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:34 pm

are the bears only given on international flights?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
are the bears only given on international flights?
They were, but only for a few months, and maybe occasionally again for special flights.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
They were, but only for a few months, and maybe occasionally again for special flights.
Thanks. I'm guessing I probably won't get one on my flight from hnl to ewr?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thanks. I'm guessing I probably won't get one on my flight from hnl to ewr?
correct.
cruisingmickey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.