Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
That's high praise coming from Sam.. (Not that I disagree.)
"I choose the prosciutto for appetizer" made me chuckle - as there would be (I wish) a selection of apps on the menu.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by username
Just got off a flight and the tin is gone. It is yet another type of bag now - not the book and not the one following the book. I have not seen this one before but I also don't fly international that often. Seems a little more practical than the book and the other one.
Is the black and white Saks bag back? No one wants the tins when I try to hand them out to but the ladies at work liked those little saks bags.

EDIT: I see they've updated the pictures on the page to reflect the new kits https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nity-kits.html

Last edited by gmt4; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:12 am Reason: added link
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by username
Just got off a flight and the tin is gone. It is yet another type of bag now - not the book and not the one following the book. I have not seen this one before but I also don't fly international that often. Seems a little more practical than the book and the other one.

Bye bye tin
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Sept. 27, UA 78 NRT-EWR, 777

Flight crew was NRT based Asian FAs (most from former TPE Station), almost like flying on an Asian Airline, not one Caucasian FA. Very good in flight service. Tenderloin main course was good, although I could always use more sauce on UA meals. Mid-flight snacks had nothing substantial, no sandwiches or instant boodles.

EWR Polaris Lounge was OK, I had to wait 5 minutes before anyone came to seat me at the dining area, slow service. At least there is no waiting list for dining room, unlike SFO where I had to wait 15-20 minutes.
Just flew the same route and the tenderloin was a dry onercooked mess. Sauce rescued it somewhat. But can somebody be explain what this lit button below the reading lamp is? Looks like HAL from 2001.

Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by elitefreak

But can somebody be explain what this lit button below the reading lamp is? Looks like HAL from 2001.

HAL Indeed.
Likely a camera (with sound) that feeds directly to Kirby's computer that lets him decide [based on your in-flight comments and demeanor] whether you get a CPU on your next flight or not.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:17 pm

9/28 EWR-NRT UA79

Japanese meal is always a solid choice. But not a drop of saki on board? Really?

Almost always a better choice vs Western options

The secret snack

Triple play on the dessert cart
No mention on menu or otherwise about the tasty soup and sandwich hot snack option.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

Just flew the same route and the tenderloin was a dry onercooked mess. Sauce rescued it somewhat. But can somebody be explain what this lit button below the reading lamp is? Looks like HAL from 2001.

IIRC it cycles the brightness of the light.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, some, like the guy behind me on my flight this week, don't find the reading light enough and still use the big overhead light which shines on other people...
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Passing on a report from friends who just flew Polaris LIS-EWR. They were on a round-the-world Star Alliance J ticket that included Air New Zealand, Singapore and UA (last two flights). They said the UA flight was horrible and the food inedible. But, perhaps that isn't news? If not, my bad for reporting it.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My problem with UA is the quality variation in service (which also affects the food). I just did a 2 roundtrip TPACs the last few weeks - one in NH and one in UA. The new Polaris cabin is much better than NH's 777 which looked dated and industrial. NH's food is much better.

Service-wise, on the outbound, the UA FAs were great! On the return, the FAs were not so good - did their jobs but rushed, not as refined and sloppy. For example, not so warm nuts, cold hot towel, finger in the food bowl when delivering it, yelling to everyone as she walked down the aisle "look at you menu and I will come back for your choices", etc.

NH is probably somewhere in between - toward my great UA flight end - not as great but consistent!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 747FC
Passing on a report from friends who just flew Polaris LIS-EWR. They were on a round-the-world Star Alliance J ticket that included Air New Zealand, Singapore and UA (last two flights). They said the UA flight was horrible and the food inedible. But, perhaps that isn't news? If not, my bad for reporting it.
LIS-EWR is NOT real Polaris, just old Business Class. Sometimes the flight is operated by 752. I hate narrow body for "long hauls", although LIS-EWR is short..
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by CIT85
LIS-EWR is NOT real Polaris, just old Business Class. Sometimes the flight is operated by 752. I hate narrow body for "long hauls", although LIS-EWR is short..
This is incorrect. The premium cabin on LIS-EWR is Polaris Business. The seats on the 752 are not the new seats, but the service is Polaris.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
IIRC it cycles the brightness of the light.
i tried that and it didn’t seem to do that.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i tried that and it didn’t seem to do that.
Maybe it is broken? It does change the intensity of the light.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is incorrect. The premium cabin on LIS-EWR is Polaris Business. The seats on the 752 are not the new seats, but the service is Polaris.
Oh please. We all know what CIT85 meant. And I would tend to agree with him substantively. In terms of inflight product, the only "Polaris" that means anything (IMO) is the seat.

The fact that less knowledgable pax now associate "Polaris" with what is really just the old BF product emphasizes what a mistake it was for UA to begin the marketing campaign before they actually rolled out the hard product. The "Polaris" brand will never fully recover from that error.
FlightNurse, CIT85, narvik and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.