Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
and PJs?
Originally Posted by Kacee
And mattress pad.
And the lounges.
Yes, PJ and mattress pad. How could I forget? probably they are not been frequently requested.
I was focusing on in-flight amenities and experience, so no comments on the speed of the plane conversion and lounge rollout.
As one of the IAD based flyers, the impact of new seats and Polaris Lounge are mostly wishful thinking for most of us at this point.

We are a few days from the two year anniversary of the Polaris rollout - a game changer according to the US management.
What is the fair assessment?
It does not really matter to me because I fly UA for its routes and schedules and the extra benefits GS get, regardless of the state of its Polaris offerings.

If I think hard enough, I guess the only thing added that makes a difference to me between the former United International Business and International Polaris is the nice gel pillow. Over time when most of the planes get the refreshed cabins and 2 or 3-year old "new" Polaris seats installed, I will benefit from the hardware. Polaris Lounge at IAD....when does Halley comet pass by Earth again?

The catering and reduced drink offerings are back to square one as far as I can tell.....
Artpen100 and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, PJ and mattress pad. How could I forget? probably they are not been frequently requested.
I was focusing on in-flight amenities and experience, so no comments on the speed of the plane conversion and lounge rollout.
As one of the IAD based flyers, the impact of new seats and Polaris Lounge are mostly wishful thinking for most of us at this point.

We are a few days from the two year anniversary of the Polaris rollout - a game changer according to the US management.
It does not really matter to me because I fly UA for its routes and schedules and the extra benefits GS get, regardless of the state of its Polaris offerings.

If I think hard enough, I guess the only thing added that makes a difference to me between the former United International Business and International Polaris is the nice gel pillow. Over time when most of the planes get the refreshed cabins and 2 or 3-year old "new" Polaris seats installed, I will benefit from the hardware. Polaris Lounge at IAD....when does Halley comet pass by Earth again?

The catering and reduced drink offerings are back to square one as far as I can tell.....
As a lifetime GS why not write UA and see what kind of response you get and I agree that Polaris is a major fail, you also missed that the Wine Flight is gone too. UA needed to do something about their inflight service the biggest issue was, not delivering what they promised. The best inflight experience possible.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Almost two years after the introduction of International Polaris services, my assessment is that United has done a full circle and we are back to pretty much the same offerings as the old united International business class except for the following:

1. New linen, plates and cups etc - inconsequential constricted changes

2. Gel Pillow and extra blanket - don’t need the extra blanket but the gel pillow is a nice touch!

3. Extra sweet deserts in additional to cheese plate and in cream - makes little difference to me.

Items that used to be offered but eliminated in Polaris:

1. Mid flight Hot noodle soup
2. Sandwiches and wraps as mid flight snacks
And I miss the old crackers from the cheese plate...

Did I miss something or are hot bites gone even on the ULH flights?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
And I miss the old crackers from the cheese plate...

Did I miss something or are hot bites gone even on the ULH flights?
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich, or a fried rice dish were available on SFO-HKG and HKG-ORD last week.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
As a lifetime GS why not write UA and see what kind of response you get and I agree that Polaris is a major fail, you also missed that the Wine Flight is gone too. UA needed to do something about their inflight service the biggest issue was, not delivering what they promised. The best inflight experience possible.
It’s not even that the wine flights are gone these days — there’s often very little wine at all available on the return flights to the US. For the third flight transatlantic in a row CDG-SFO, there was only one bottle of white wine available that was passed across the aisle and shared sparingly, and no vodka or buffalo trace at all. They now round-trip cater the alcohol from the US to save money, hence they are frequently out of items on the return.

Catering has become a mess in terms of provisioning, domestically and internationally, all in the name of saving $.
YVR guy and transportprof like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Almost two years after the introduction of International Polaris services, my assessment is that United has done a full circle and we are back to pretty much the same offerings as the old united International business class except for the following:

1. New linen, plates and cups etc - inconsequential constricted changes

2. Gel Pillow and extra blanket - don’t need the extra blanket but the gel pillow is a nice touch!

3. Extra sweet deserts in additional to cheese plate and in cream - makes little difference to me.

Items that used to be offered but eliminated in Polaris:

1. Mid flight Hot noodle soup
2. Sandwiches and wraps as mid flight snacks

Oh I forgot about how they used to have the sandwiches in the galley. Was completely underwhelmed by the catering yesterday on my flight back from LHR -- particularly the tiny tiny second arrival meal.
Other airlines like NZ manage to do a full second meal service (with plated entrees, multiple courses, etc) so I'm not sure how UA can't handle this.

You're right though, fly on a non-Polaris 777 or 787 and it really doesn't feel like anything different to when it was first introduced -- in fact it's worse now I can't upgrade to Global First.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:45 pm

I completely agree. It's unfortunate, but this is what I expected when it was originally rolled out. I thought most of the changes at the roll out were gimmicky and wouldn't last, and this has been the case. The mimosa and bloody mary cart is gone, wine flights gone, mid-flight offerings reduced, and there hasn't been any change, better or worse, that I can tell, in the quality of the service. The bedding is nice, but it's not something to hang your Polaris marketing plan on, and to me this is about the only thing left from the initial roll out (and they've even changed this up since it was announced). The seats... well everyone knows that story - and as an IAH-based traveler, I don't expect to see the new seats anytime soon.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by iflyabunch
I completely agree. It's unfortunate, but this is what I expected when it was originally rolled out. I thought most of the changes at the roll out were gimmicky and wouldn't last, and this has been the case. The mimosa and bloody mary cart is gone, wine flights gone, mid-flight offerings reduced, and there hasn't been any change, better or worse, that I can tell, in the quality of the service.
You managed your expectations well! Aside from a few obvious enhancements (flimsy welcome champagne 'glass' that just screamed to be knocked over, the mimosa/bloody mary cart service that falls apart the moment you want a drink from the galley, ice cream bowls) I was expecting a few things to stay: Wine Flights, bread basket, etc. And I did (foolishly) think some things would improve: crew taking pride in the new product, general food offerings, maybe even a Signature Drink, etc. We are virtually back to square one though.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
You managed your expectations well! Aside from a few obvious enhancements (flimsy welcome champagne 'glass' that just screamed to be knocked over, the mimosa/bloody mary cart service that falls apart the moment you want a drink from the galley, ice cream bowls) I was expecting a few things to stay: Wine Flights, bread basket, etc. And I did (foolishly) think some things would improve: crew taking pride in the new product, general food offerings, maybe even a Signature Drink, etc. We are virtually back to square one though.
Thanks for reminding me.... I had completely forgotten about the PDB "glass" and truffle
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by wxguy
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich, or a fried rice dish were available on SFO-HKG and HKG-ORD last week.
You are lucky that flights were catered at HKG and ORD. My experience has not been good for flights leaving PEK and PVG, SFO. IAD and EWR are hit and miss.

I have observed sometimes the FA are just too lazy to look for them, occasionally, after they found them prior to breakfast, they have come around to offering them as another breakfast option.

Again, we are going back to the PMUA model of “consistently inconsistent”. I cannot comment on PMCO, other than their caterings were superior before the merger.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
$300/15K miles for broken seats standard I’m guessing? I got my ETC voucher upon landing but my husband didn’t. We somehow managed to get two inoperative seats today. Considering it was the new Polaris seat on a 767, I’m surprised there were 3 busted seats (& my tv too). Guess that’s the reason we got moved from row 1 to 9. Only half joking...(was R/PZ fare).

Crew was super hands off. Didn’t see anyone for hours. I couldn’t use my call button because my seat was 100% dead, no lights or buttons worked. Overall a very meh flight obviously. Shame too since the flight over to Rome was fantastic.

Last edited by airb330; Nov 27, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I was on this flight yesterday. One glass of real champagne and then they were serving the crap for PDB without telling the passengers (pouring in galley). They ran out of almost all of the wine inflight. Almost no one was drinking so I can't imagine they would have even made it through the first service with a different passenger mix.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by greenpau

It’s not even that the wine flights are gone these days — there’s often very little wine at all available on the return flights to the US. For the third flight transatlantic in a row CDG-SFO, there was only one bottle of white wine available that was passed across the aisle and shared sparingly, and no vodka or buffalo trace at all. They now round-trip cater the alcohol from the US to save money, hence they are frequently out of items on the return.

Catering has become a mess in terms of provisioning, domestically and internationally, all in the name of saving $.
I echo these same comments. On my flight a few days ago SIN-SFO there were 2 bottles of champagne on the entire flight! For a flagship route, how can UA claim to be a world class airline with this level of inventory? Also no sparkling wine was offered as pre-departure drink (no great loss since it is plonk anyways).
When somebody asked, they poured a mini bottle from economy class.

Since UA is now round-trip catering alcohol from the US, they should lock down half of the inventory to be reserved for the return flight. Or better still, go back to the original method of fully restocking in the outport city. This cost saving is sabotage to the Polaris product.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Oh I’d like to point out it was obvious the crew weren’t doing a lot of drink runs because the alcohol/wine was barely catered. No PDB of champs here either today.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Is it possible they are still catering beverages in Sydney? I’ve had more Buffalo Trace from Sydney than I care to admit . This week the cart in the small 3-row second cabin had 6 bottles of red (2 of each) for each side on the first service as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.