Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
oh, and of course none of the wines on the list were actually on offer.
I've actually had good luck in Polaris Business so far with the wines: every one of my flights has had every one of the wines listed in the menu (3 white, 3 red, plus a fizzy). My typical experiences on pre-Polaris C flights was that they might have had 1 or 2 of the wines on the menu, never the ones I wanted, and probably had one "cheaper" wine (if there could be such a thing) as a substitute.

Originally Posted by eng3
That's disappointing (no sundae)
I was disappointed to not have the cheese course the other day. They did sundaes and the petits fours, but hadn't catered cheese.

Originally Posted by eng3
Maybe the par-cook it on the ground then heat it up in the oven. That's what I'd do. I doubt it, but they could sous-vide the steaks which should make them safe, then finish them in the oven
This.

There is no way they are cooking from raw items on the plane. Meats are sous-vide cooked at the ground facility and finished in the ovens. Other items are basically just reheated.

Could be that the dishes are plated with more steps now than they used to be, making it easier to get the different items the right temperature.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Where do you guys check the wine prices?

Some online site? Including shipping and taxes?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by wco81

If you have the wine name, you can just type it into Google and get an answer very quickly.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81

Wine-searcher.com is the best site for this as it also has foreign pricing.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
For the first time in a while I saw a wine list in GF this weekend
A quick google showed they retailed for $7.99-$15.99

I was very happy when UA reintroduced a wine list internationally last December. But I can't understand why they can't stock at least the majority of the wines on the list. Other airlines manage. BTW did you check the retail price of the champagne in GF?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM

Some US$16.00/bottle wines aren't half bad nowadays. Just saying.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:08 am

For the first time in a while I saw a wine list in GF this weekend

All the extra bedding is lipstick on a pig.

I wonder if you were given the biz class list, but they boarded the first class wines (they still have distinct wine lists for the two classes).

Those prices are closer to what's on the biz class list.

Though sounds like you couldn't tell the difference!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I wonder if you were given the biz class list, but they boarded the first class wines (they still have distinct wine lists for the two classes).

Those prices are closer to what's on the biz class list.

Though sounds like you couldn't tell the difference!
I thought business menu/list is blue?
This was was decked out in pukey yellow/brown on GF
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:07 am

I thought business menu/list is blue?
This was was decked out in pukey yellow/brown on GF
Mystery deepens. At least last month they were offering some interesting wines in GF

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27949822-post181.html
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After some 5 Polaris flights since the roll-out here my 2c:

A. Food

The good:

+ expanded dessert options, such as
raspberry cheesecake squares, apple tartlets.
assorted macaroons
small desserts such as tiramisu, raspberry, lemon cups
+ hot snacks:
tomato soup,
beef stew
+ better food and selection of 2 pre-arrival snack course items

About the same as pre-Polaris:

~ appetizers
~ main dishes
~ cheese selection

The scale back:

- bread selection, I surely miss the pretzel bread
- smaller salad; no selection of salad dressing

Bottom line food: the added dessert items is a huge improvement over the ever-repeating sundaes! ^^^

The hot inflight snacks are a nice addition as well. Really liked the beef stew I had a couple of times. ^^

I was looking forward to some regional flavors as pointed out pre-launch, but not seen sofar.

Cheese selection is a huge downer; there would be so many great regional options out of EU (Switzerland, France, Germany ......)

Overall definitely improvement with some way to go, yet according to launch presentation expected a bit more, newer, different on the main dish, cheese, regional side.

I definitely do not agree with "same-as-before" comments voiced elsewhere.

B. Drinks

+ San Pellegrino
+ wine flight/tasting

~ no/varying champagne selection

C. Inflight ammenities

Ammenitiy kit is great & well-stocked, puts many other "premium" carriers to shame; e.g. CX "baglet" I got on a TPAC the other day; also LX, LH were rather skimpy, IIRC.

Was about to comment that a second smaller blanket is not that important.
But the temp on my last flight was pretty high and was glad to use the lighter vs. the heavier "tarp".

Personally, I find the little and the gel pillow too small. Always use and like the large regular pillow. The slippers are great, but not given out automatically, which is fine. I always forgot to ask for the mattress pad sofar.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Was about to comment that a second smaller blanket is not that important.
But the temp on my last flight was pretty high and was glad to use the lighter vs. the heavier "tarp".
(bolding mine)

Regarding temperature: is it just me or they cranking up the temps more & more these days?
I know the FAs modus operandi is to first set the thermostat to "arctic" as the FA are busy with service and they like it cooler, and then set the thermostat to "warm" so that all passengers fall asleep so the FAs have less to do. But recently all my flights have been way too hot.
Maybe they have installed a new thermostat setting "hell"?

NEVER used the thick blanket as it's just way too warm, and only use the thin one. And even that becomes too much sometimes.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Regarding temperature: is it just me or they cranking up the temps more & more these days?
I know the FAs modus operandi is to first set the thermostat to "arctic" as the FA are busy with service and they like it cooler, and then set the thermostat to "warm" so that all passengers fall asleep so the FAs have less to do. But recently all my flights have been way too hot.

NEVER used the thick blanket as it's just way too warm, and only use the thin one. And even that becomes too much sometimes.
Thick blanket/duvet is good to use as "mattress pad" with less bulk & hassle ^
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

What planes are you referring to? Most of UA's long-haul fleet has individual air vents above each seat.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TCD
And probably the other passengers as well. The FA may be about to return to the oven to get your steak out when 1A intercepts him to launch into a lengthy complaint about the wine selection.
There is a separate FA working in the galley from the FAs serving food out in the cabin. They might get distracted but it should not be from talking to a passenger at their seat.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Thick blanket/duvet is good to use as "mattress pad" with less bulk & hassle ^
Good idea! Will try it next time.

Originally Posted by fly747first
What planes are you referring to? Most of UA's long-haul fleet has individual air vents above each seat.

772v3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.