Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:49 pm

Regarding comping drinks for 1Ks in economy - I was recently asked (PHX - ORD) if I would like a cocktail or a beer/wine (comp) as I was a 1K. First time I saw this in many years with UA.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Regarding temperature: is it just me or they cranking up the temps more & more these days?
I know the FAs modus operandi is to first set the thermostat to "arctic" as the FA are busy with service and they like it cooler, and then set the thermostat to "warm" so that all passengers fall asleep so the FAs have less to do. But recently all my flights have been way too hot.
Maybe they have installed a new thermostat setting "hell"?

NEVER used the thick blanket as it's just way too warm, and only use the thin one. And even that becomes too much sometimes.
Yes, of my most recent 2 Polaris flights, 1 of them was intolerably hot. I felt almost sick given how hot they cranked it during and after dinner. The other was so-so, warm but tolerable.

I don't know why UA seems to want to emulate some of the foreign carriers who beats the crap out of them on soft product but have horrid cabin climate.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Oh, forgot to mention that on HKG-ORD, my sparkly flute for PDB was cracked and leaked incessantly. Yet every time I finished it, FA came by and tipped another bottle into it. I tried to stop her a couple of times to no avail. I kept having to chug to prevent a mess.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by exerda
I kept having to chug to prevent a mess.
Oh, the humanity!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
77W have steam ovens but they are not the only a/c in the fleet so equipped.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Oh, forgot to mention that on HKG-ORD, my sparkly flute for PDB was cracked and leaked incessantly. Yet every time I finished it, FA came by and tipped another bottle into it. I tried to stop her a couple of times to no avail. I kept having to chug to prevent a mess.
Or you could just speak up and politely ask for another glass. Not sure why you decided to put up with an inconvenience like that with such an easy fix.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA "nothing",Delta "wannabe", Marriott Platinum
Its all about the Seat for me

For me, the only value that makes a real difference, is the seat.

On a long haul flight for 15+ hours to be followed by a week or so of hard business is getting good quality rest on the way out to arrive ready to go, and a good recovery rest on the way back.

I love that UA new Polaris BF seating all has aisle access. Being able to slip out to the toilet mid flight and not have to perform acrobatics over someone else, or have them wake you up when they get up is an important factor. Laying flat, bending knees, being warm/comfortable with the right pillow makes all the difference.

As for the food, I can take that or leave it, in fact sometimes I "fast" and just drink copious amounts of water - sparkling or otherwise. Those 16 hours headed homeward are therapy/recovery and are precious. Gone are the days when I have to sit trussed into a seat with a fidgeting or oversize companion next to me and an aching, drooping neck. I can't and wont do it.

So for me the cost of the Polaris seat is well spent and has an un-measurable effect on my well being. I'm happy my employer sees it that way.

Thank you United for improving your product. Or should I be thanking the competition for forcing them to improve? Either way I can tolerate a lot when I travel if I am comfortable, treated like a human being with respect and honesty, and I'll take or leave the food as I find it.

I'll hit 2m miles on my SFO-HKG 777-300 flight next week. My wife loves that she gets all those companion upgrades and perks.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
PA just now from the purser on my PEK-SFO 747 flight... "For those of you in Global First and Global Business..." Oops.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by eng3
When a cut of meat is offered as a meal option, has an FA ever asked regarding temperature? (rare, medium, well done, etc)? I've never been asked.
In my experience, never. However, I have told them to pull the cut out early so it's not the texture of a hockey puck. Came out fine each time except once when turbulence forced the FAs to be seated. Resulted in another hockey puck.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jaa6921
For me, the only value that makes a real difference, is the seat.

On a long haul flight for 15+ hours to be followed by a week or so of hard business is getting good quality rest on the way out to arrive ready to go, and a good recovery rest on the way back.

I love that UA new Polaris BF seating all has aisle access. Being able to slip out to the toilet mid flight and not have to perform acrobatics over someone else, or have them wake you up when they get up is an important factor. Laying flat, bending knees, being warm/comfortable with the right pillow makes all the difference.

As for the food, I can take that or leave it, in fact sometimes I "fast" and just drink copious amounts of water - sparkling or otherwise. Those 16 hours headed homeward are therapy/recovery and are precious. Gone are the days when I have to sit trussed into a seat with a fidgeting or oversize companion next to me and an aching, drooping neck. I can't and wont do it.

So for me the cost of the Polaris seat is well spent and has an un-measurable effect on my well being. I'm happy my employer sees it that way.

Thank you United for improving your product. Or should I be thanking the competition for forcing them to improve? Either way I can tolerate a lot when I travel if I am comfortable, treated like a human being with respect and honesty, and I'll take or leave the food as I find it.

I'll hit 2m miles on my SFO-HKG 777-300 flight next week. My wife loves that she gets all those companion upgrades and perks.
Great post! ^^

I'm already contented with the current soft Polaris offering and the 77Y seats in J (D and E). It's a bitter-sweet thing, the upcoming conversion to Polaris though: on one hand, I am looking forward to the J experience, and on the other hand, I am dreading the times I will be "allocated" in Y.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My second Polaris experience was a huge improvement over the first experience. Just flew LAX-LHR and used the heavier blanket as a matress pad. Did not ask for a gel pillow (mainly because I forgot), but slept well. FA offered to take my jacket without me needing to ask. Food was fine, but I do not catch a plane for the food. :-) Watched a movie while waiting for our plane to have a mechanical issue rectified, then had a meal. Slept until an hour before loading. Change into street clothes and ready to start my day.
​​
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Oh, how awful! This is a good one, exerda.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And the problem here is????
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
And the problem here is????
Dehydration from the additional alcohol consumption...;-)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
UA 952 ORD-MUC last night... they had a Polaris teddy bear waiting for everyone on the seats in J when we boarded, I assume this was in recognition of the first international Polaris flight SFO-HKG (hard product) that took place earlier in the day and is referenced on previous threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.