Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by zebranz
UA 839/28 Feb
Had to request pj's and gel pillow. Not on seat -by "request"

Not good! Luckily I knew what was available.
The pj's and gel pillows are designed to be available by request, not on the seat like the amenity kit and slippers. They stock for 60% of premium passengers. Same goes for the mattress pad.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tuolumne
...Please let me know where you intend to have the UA FAs throw all the bedding of 60 passengers right before landing.
Since it is only the gel pillows that folks are suggesting to be retrieved and the pillows are not normally provided expect on request, they must be stored somewhere, so return them to where they were originally stored.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Smile So what happens to the PJs?

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This was printed and highlighted on my GF menu from ORD-LHR a few days ago:

Yours to keep
The premium amenity kit and slippers are yours to keep upon landing. We hope you'll find that our other comfort items and amenities make your flight more restful, but please leave them on board when you exit the aircraft.

The purser also made an announcement about this before landing.
Shall soon be flying Polaris First NRT-IAD. Getting short of breath just fretting about the soup course. Now there's something else to create pre-flight jitters of the etiquette sort!

I realize that PJs are not offered on all routes; however, on those on which they are offered, is it indeed the expectation that they also are to be left behind (presumably to be washed and issued to another passenger)? On all my various "PJ" flights -- Air France, BA, Virgin, etc., passengers have been free to take them; they were not for re-use by the airline, in the way that a hospital re-uses a johnny.

Last edited by BlaiseBOS; Mar 1, 2017 at 10:55 pm Reason: typo fix
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
Shall soon be flying Polaris First NRT-IAD. Getting short of breath just fretting about the soup course. Now there's something else to create pre-flight jitters of the etiquette sort!

I realize that PJs are not offered on all routes; however, on those on which they are offered, is it indeed the expectation that they also are to be left behind (presumably to be washed and issued to another passenger)? On all my various "PJ" flights -- Air France, BA, Virgin, etc., passengers have been free to take them; they were not for re-use by the airline, in the way that a hospital re-uses a johnny.
You can keep the PJ's. I imagine they're not explicitly mentioned because they're a secret 60% item, reserved for the special people like us. If everyone knew...
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
Fair. Better attempt - it's like renting a car from Hertz that has the NeverLost GPS system in it, then taking the GPS unit with you when you return the car, intending to use it on your next rental for which you're not sure you'll get a car with one in it.
Maybe if UA charged $14.99/day for the pillow then the comparison would be accurate. More like taking a pen from the counter then leaving it in the car when you return it. I don't think many people would have a problem with this.

Borrowing a pillow from one plane to use on the next flight simply does not rise to the level of "stealing" in my opinion.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrswirl
... Borrowing a pillow from one plane to use on the next flight simply does not rise to the level of "stealing" in my opinion.
What do you call removing it from the original plane?

If you return it later, does that undo the first act?
How is it clear to others you plan or no to return it?

How does one define "borrowing" something with the intent of perhaps returning it at some point in the future?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

How does one define "borrowing" something with the intent of perhaps returning it at some point in the future?
Because all pillows and bedding are removed during cleaning anyway and replaced with fresh items (at least I hope they are). Leaving the pillow on the next flight means no net loss to UA. If UA charged a use fee for said pillow (like Hertz does for a GPS unit) then I can see a loss of potential revenue but that's not the case here.

As for how others see it? It's not really their business anyway. My original point is don't assume others are thieves because you see them doing something you may disagree with.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
If United doesn't allow pillows to be removed, and someone removes them, it's stealing. If one returns the pillow later it's simply the return of stolen property.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Because all pillows and bedding are removed during cleaning anyway and replaced with fresh items (at least I hope they are). Leaving the pillow on the next flight means no net loss to UA. If UA charged a use fee for said pillow (like Hertz does for a GPS unit) then I can see a loss of potential revenue but that's not the case here.

As for how others see it? It's not really their business anyway. My original point is don't assume others are thieves because you see them doing something you may disagree with.
Theft is theft, whether or not you agree with it. You can debate whether the theft is material, and whether or not the person stealing should face any consequences, but that's a separate matter. Airlines, hotels, and the like, all model their businesses with some amount of theft built in. Even retailers do that. Some hotels won't pursue thefts that are worth under $1,000. They assume it will happen from time to time. That doesn't mean it's not a theft.

Also, I would argue that UA does charge a fee for the pillow - it's part of what you get by buying up to business class, either through fare paid, or GPU, or mileage upgrade. It's not a freebie that they give you because they're feeling kind.

I rent from Hertz, and often find a GPS unit in the car even though I didn't rent or pay for it. Is it your contention that in those scenarios, I am free to take the GPS with me until my next rental, but if I paid for it, then I can't do so?

I'm not judging people here incidentally. We all have our own codes, and it's not for me to say mine is right and someone else's is wrong. Also, it's likely that most of us have stolen something in our lives (think the pen from the office supply cabinet example).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I haven't traveled for a while (due to illness, much better now and am ready to fly to DXB via FRA on Sunday. I am in C and today received the following email from United:

"Your upcoming travel includes our brand new United PolarisSM experience, which brings a new level of quality to every aspect of premium cabin travel. The transition to United Polaris service represents our largest product transformation in a generation."

I am flying a 777 on UA 932. I did not expect any changes yet (maybe the meal would be better) but perhaps I am wrong. What differences, if any, might I expect from the same flight taken last fall?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by euslaner
I am flying a 777 on UA 932. I did not expect any changes yet (maybe the meal would be better) but perhaps I am wrong. What differences, if any, might I expect from the same flight taken last fall?
New food and drink, much improved bedding including the much-discussed optional gel pillow, access to the Polaris Lounge if flying to/from/via ORD.

I might be forgetting something but I think that's most of it.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
New food and drink, much improved bedding including the much-discussed optional gel pillow, access to the Polaris Lounge if flying to/from/via ORD.

I might be forgetting something but I think that's most of it.
Plus PJs if flight is over 12 hours (US website lists which flights have PJs).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Thanks. Unless they take a very wrong turn leaving IAD I won't be anywhere near ORD.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

The kind of thinking equating stealing with borrowing is the same as those dopes who steal food from their comp hotel breakfast to have for lunch. If you don't already know the definition of stealing, you weren't raised right. And if you want to argue about it, you definitely weren't raised right.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My brother is flying IAH-NRT right now and said the Japanese-style meal in Polaris was one of the best meals he's had on a plane. He flies a lot more than me, so that says something. I wasn't as impressed by the Japanese-style meal when I flew EWR-NRT last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.