Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Flew ORD-FRA round trip on a 763, I agree with many posts above regarding storage space, especially in the seats in the middle section, I put most of it in the overhead bin. I loved it though, had a great sleep on both flights, especially with the new eyemask.

Appetizers were good, although found it odd when having French Toast on the 8am FRA-ORD flight it was a salmon appetizer, maybe a fruit plate might be more appropriate. Loved the new desert cart as the carmel bars are to die for. Didn't notice a difference in the steak from pre-Polaris, but was still decent. Also I like the new large meal prior to landing which was a really good piece of chicken
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by N104UA
...although found it odd when having French Toast on the 8am FRA-ORD flight it was a salmon appetizer, maybe a fruit plate might be more appropriate...
Never heard of lox?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tuolumne
With all due respect, it's a ludicrous suggestion. And it won't happen.

Comparing picking up expensive Bose headsets versus bedding isn't a valid comparison. First, headsets like that aren't meant to be disposed of after so many cycles like bedding. Second, even if they weren't, there is only one small case per pax that houses headsets, which stow in a cart. Please let me know where you intend to have the UA FAs throw all the bedding of 60 passengers right before landing.
I'm not suggesting they recover all the bedding because it would be obvious it's a passenger walked out with the duvet. What I'm suggesting is they recover the gel pillows, which seem to be the item being most pilfered.

Certain people with questionable integrity are stealing items that belong to United. I don't see why it's ludicrous for United employees to take reasonable actions to stop this kind of theft.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
7) Menus.
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm not suggesting they recover all the bedding because it would be obvious it's a passenger walked out with the duvet. What I'm suggesting is they recover the gel pillows, which seem to be the item being most pilfered.

Certain people with questionable integrity are stealing items that belong to United. I don't see why it's ludicrous for United employees to take reasonable actions to stop this kind of theft.
The same reason why the chairs aren't bolted down to the floor at most restaurants?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Other than flying United premium cabin regularly, I also fly CA and SQ regularly in their premium cabins on long haul international flights.

In their premium cabins, both CA and SQ collect menu, headsets, pillows and bedding items if they see passengers not using them. I see FA collect pilliow and blankets store hen overhead and closet space.

If FA both of these carriers can collect and store, I don't see why it is a challenge to UA FA. I am saying UA should, but just want to provide another data point.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
Plus PJs if flight is over 12 hours (US website lists which flights have PJs).
has anyone tried the PJ's yet? Just wondering, will be on a LAX-AKL soon and thought it might be nice to be tucked up with some pj's LOL
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:31 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mel Grant
has anyone tried the PJ's yet? Just wondering, will be on a LAX-AKL soon and thought it might be nice to be tucked up with some pj's LOL
Yes. They are quite soft and 100% cotton. The two sizes offered are S/M and L/XL. I found the pant leg length to be a bit short and the sleeve length rather long. The top was quite loose with a generous amount of material. The pants have a wide elastic waistband.

I've been the only one wearing the pjs on the flights when they've been offered. I don't know whether people aren't aware they are available.

Tip: Even if they aren't scheduled for your flight time, you can ask if they have them onboard. FAs have told me there usually are leftovers from other flights and they are happy to offer them to you.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Data point: 5'8", 180 lbs male, and the S/M size if just fine. The L/XL is much too large.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
Data point: 5'8", 180 lbs male, and the S/M size if just fine. The L/XL is much too large.
They'll shrink substantially when washed and thrown in the dryer. Not a concern if wearing them only once, on the plane.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wxguy
6'2.5" and 180lbs here, the S/M size fits me better as well, believe it or not, other than the pant legs being super short.

But the pant legs are too short even on the L/XL. However on that one, the waist is huge (have to really cinch the drawstring) and I could fit twice over into the top, with the sleeves coming down to my fingers.

In my experience, washing and drying didn't cause significant shrinkage.

Basically - the sizing is really bizarre.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
They'll shrink substantially when washed and thrown in the dryer. Not a concern if wearing them only once, on the plane.
The label inside says "DO NOT TUMBLE DRY"

(Yes, I actually pulled them out of my closet just to double check I suspected this was why, but you have confirmed it).
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cricketer
6'2.5" and 180lbs here, the S/M size fits me better as well, believe it or not, other than the pant legs being super short.
Wow. At 6' and 180, I never thought I'd be a S/M but maybe that's the right choice.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
The same reason why the chairs aren't bolted down to the floor at most restaurants?
People steal chairs from restaurants? Where?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Yes. They are quite soft and 100% cotton. The two sizes offered are S/M and L/XL. I found the pant leg length to be a bit short and the sleeve length rather long. The top was quite loose with a generous amount of material. The pants have a wide elastic waistband.

I've been the only one wearing the pjs on the flights when they've been offered. I don't know whether people aren't aware they are available.

Tip: Even if they aren't scheduled for your flight time, you can ask if they have them onboard. FAs have told me there usually are leftovers from other flights and they are happy to offer them to you.
good info!! I think I will be styling some myself!!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
"I found the pajamas to be VERY uncomfortable and not worth requesting!"

Nah, just kidding: thought of writing that sentence above to guarantee there will be some available on my next flight! They are actually really nice and much better than expected. Definitely worth it for these long flights!

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Yes. They are quite soft and 100% cotton. The two sizes offered are S/M and L/XL. I found the pant leg length to be a bit short and the sleeve length rather long.
(bolding mine)

Thought the same thing. Likely done so no one trips over the pant legs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.