Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
New IFE interface on the 767

Just boarded UA987 ORD-CDG. Seems they've replaced the interface on the IFE. Very different navigation and instead of 6 iMovies per screen it's 4. Seems a lot less intuitive.

Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by villox
Just boarded UA987 ORD-CDG. Seems they've replaced the interface on the IFE. Very different navigation and instead of 6 iMovies per screen it's 4. Seems a lot less intuitive.

I didn't realize it was a new thing. It was different on the 767 from EWR to CDG than the IFE in the 757 from SFO-EWR.

Oh and I didn't go for the wine tasting, just chose Burgandy.

Btw, UA has a wine shortage now because wine consumption has increased 300% on the wine cart flights. Maybe most people will drink even if the wines are not of the vintages which appeal to oenophiles with expensive palates.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81
Btw, UA has a wine shortage now because wine consumption has increased 300% on the wine cart flights. Maybe most people will drink even if the wines are not of the vintages which appeal to oenophiles with expensive palates.
I also wonder if the focus on wine presentation and the flights has caused more people to choose wine who were otherwise drinking cocktails or beer.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
SFO-HND

Sadly as a 1K I couldn't get the Japanese meal but the no-status JPN pax on each side of me were able to.
During the delay back to the gate the REALLY awesome JPN FA did come to me specifically and take my arrival order so I could get the chicken katsu instead of some horrible cereal or an omelette for a 3pm local arrival.

Waiting to ask for a gel pillow once meal finishes.

Edit: Actually I didn't even get my second choice of duck. I was given the beef. It tasted good and the sauce was sweet/cherry/tangy so I thought maybe this is just over-cooked duck. I just checked the menu right now (I was a little buzzed earlier).
Also as a 1K I've never *not* gotten my first choice... Sorry you got your third!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by findark
I also wonder if the focus on wine presentation and the flights has caused more people to choose wine who were otherwise drinking cocktails or beer.
That's an interesting observation. I was poured champagne in a wine goblet ( rounded) when the champagne flute (slim and long) was available. I also was served three wines in smaller glasses to taste. Interesting concept. I get that they pour a lot more wine but do passengers then drink more? Don't we want to just go to sleep?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I didn't realize it was a new thing. It was different on the 767 from EWR to CDG than the IFE in the 757 from SFO-EWR.

Oh and I didn't go for the wine tasting, just chose Burgandy.

I think that memo refers to the *increase* being 300% more than forecasted. So if they forecast a 10% increase, the actual increase was 30%.

Not a tripling of total consumption.

Still meaningful.

Though in my handful of personal experiences have had to proatively ask for the wine setup - it was never offered straight up.

I'd rather they put the extra $$ in to better quality than carrying more onboard to handle the tasting gimmick.

Although maybe just the presence of a printed wine list drove consumption back up!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
"United Business Class Wine Consumption Up 300%, Airline Facing Shortage"

by Gary Leff on April 6, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....cing-shortage/

Mods- please delete is this was posted elsewhere.
300%? Honestly, the only thing I would say is that the wine 'flight' is not really a tasting at all; they are pouring you 3 glasses of wine in what you would otherwise get in those narrow wine glasses. So if you get the flight, you are inherently tripling consumption (which is only a 200% increase anyways).

Hard to say if that is accurate or not, but UA should take heart that people are enjoying what is being offered...and not indulge their first instinct, which is probably to start buying Two Buck Chuck by the box.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I wonder if some of the wine "increase" is also just wasted bottles from the tasting.
I was in 6 on the 789 and the FA opened each bottle of wine as I did the tasting flight. It was a cab, CdR and something from Macedonia (worst of the lot). I would wager that if they didn't offer the flight they probably wouldn't have even had to open the Macedonian one.

Mid flight I just asked for some green tea and I was given a whole pot and a Japanese style cup. I think I've only had that on LH NH TG F.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
SFO-HND
Sadly as a 1K I couldn't get the Japanese meal but the no-status JPN pax on each side of me were able to.
That stinks, but thanks for reminding me to change my menu preference to Japanese for my flight in a few days! ^
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA "nothing",Delta "wannabe", Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I don't like it. the newly configured 777's are like coffins. I hate Cathay's coffins (herringbone style) too. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to create privacy, but I found it cramped.
i agree.

i could not lay on my side and bend my knees because my shins hit the back of the seat infront, and when laying on my back i coukd not saise my knees due to the table being so low..

i didnt enjoy my flight.

The bear was the best thing.....
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I haven't had them do this in a while (it was on MEL-LAX the last time) but it was when I was a lush so I didn't mind the easy access.

Now it feels cheap and distracting. When I took the photo it was only on my seatmates side but a minute later they set up all the same bottles and stuff on mine as well.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Another vote for 8E!
Although: easy reach, but might be bothersome with all the traffic.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
That's ridiculous. Haven't seen that on any of my polaris flights, and if I had, there would've been a blasting on my flight survey. The FA has gone to the galley to get any non-wine/mimosa/bloody mary request.
It is absolutely not ridiculous if I'm sitting in 5E and only want sparkling and still water to drink.

Thinking about it now though, you're right in that it shouldn't be a nuisance for the flight attendant to leave the trolley in the aisle and go get what the customer wants from their bar trolley. I guess every flight attendant is different when it comes to execution?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by villox

They have also gone with this UI on the 747s as well. This UI was/is the sCO style. Shame that they replaced the more modern/intuitive UI that sUA metal had.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jaa6921
i agree.

i could not lay on my side and bend my knees because my shins hit the back of the seat infront, and when laying on my back i coukd not saise my knees due to the table being so low..

i didnt enjoy my flight.

The bear was the best thing.....
I've only flew the new Polaris on a EWR-SFO run. I was worried about shoulder and knee space as I'm not a small guy. Turns out I loved the seat. I find it a VAST improvement to any current UA J seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.