Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by ghostrider
Have two Polaris trips coming up, SFO-SYD 787 and EWR-ATH 767, it will be interesting comparing the two, neither of which have Polaris seats.
They will be the exact same, save some differences in the second meal.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmhua777
They will be the exact same, save some differences in the second meal.
& the attitude of the crew.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Originally Posted by ghostrider
Have two Polaris trips coming up, SFO-SYD 787 and EWR-ATH 767, it will be interesting comparing the two, neither of which have Polaris seats.
I'd love to hear your reaction to the EWR-ATH flight. I'm booking one for September, also a 767, and I'd planned on treating myself to Polaris. I'm a bit bummed that the pajamas are not offered on the under 12 hour flights, and I don't drink, so I'm wondering if the price will be worth it. I'm curious about your comment regarding the seats. If they're selling it as a Polaris flight, why wouldn't it have Polaris seats? Isn't that the main reason to fly Polaris?
Old May 1, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by big V
I have experienced this level of on United, on just about every J trip I have had in the last 4 years, both pre-Polaris and now with Polaris. I don't think I've every had to reach for a tray, and ever before Polaris have had FAs who spoke a bit about the wines rather than just "red or white." I have had gracious, warm, welcoming service much of the time, somewhat bumbling or perfunctory but not outwardly hostile/rude service a few times, and truly spectacular service two or three times (about 70/20/10 split). I've never been snarled or barked at.

While there may some truly nefarious or toxic FAs out there, I don't know that I've ever seen them in the last 4 years of being 1K, and about a 3-4 years stretch in the 2000s as Plat/1K. These were mostly DC or EWR-based long-hauls, TPAC, TATL, and to the ME when DBX was a nonstop. Sometimes I feel like an outlier when I read these threads, because I just am not running into the truly bad FAs.
I have to say, on my 6 flights in total in Polaris (soft product only) I have found the flight crew to be amazing and so much better than my previous experiences. I usually fly to Asia and mix my flights between UA, CX, BR and NH. I have been a big CX fan over the last few years, but the last few flights on UA is changing my perception. Service has been friendlier on UA (this is contrast to the past where it was the complete opposite), I found the wines in Polaris, while not high end, still better than CX, and overall the food is better as well. As of now the only thing CX wins on for me are the seats (my favorite one out there), the burger snack which I usually have as my meal (but the grilled cheese on UA was quite good) and the lounges. Maybe I have been lucky, but so far so good as far as I am concerned (except please do not advertise wifi where it has only worked on 1 of my 6 flights and bring back the sundae ASAP).
Old May 1, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have just had my first 2 Polaris flights IAH-LHR. Can't say I see any difference in the soft product from before. Meal service essentially the same: salad and appetizer now combined, cheese course prepackaged. Very meagre in-flight snacks. Not impressed so far, have to wait for the new seats.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Got an email a few days ago saying I should try the new 777 from SFO to HKG.
Good allocation of resources UA...I took it 2 weeks ago.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'd love to hear your reaction to the EWR-ATH flight. I'm booking one for September, also a 767, and I'd planned on treating myself to Polaris. I'm a bit bummed that the pajamas are not offered on the under 12 hour flights, and I don't drink, so I'm wondering if the price will be worth it. I'm curious about your comment regarding the seats. If they're selling it as a Polaris flight, why wouldn't it have Polaris seats? Isn't that the main reason to fly Polaris?
Polaris is just United's new name for international business class. If by "Polaris seats" you mean the new all-aisle access seats that the commercials feature, those are only available on the Boeing 777-300ER for the foreseeable future, as UA has not released any specific plans on when it will retrofit other planes.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Saying Polaris is similar to saying DeltaOne it is just the name, Delta doesn't have the same seats on all their ac but it is still called DeltaOne
Old May 2, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Took UA943 FRA-ORD in Polaris Business class a couple of weeks ago. Meh. The comfort add-ons - mattress cushion, extra pillow, slippers on demand, etc. - really aren't designed to enhance that short day-time flight; the new amenities container is less easy to re-purpose than the soft-sided faux-leather or mesh bags; the amenities themselves nothing to write home about (although road-warrior son is thrilled with the padded eye mask, which is too big for my face). Food also not a noticeable step up from anything. Yes the lie flat seats are the way to go, but that's it (and don't some non-Polaris flights have those as well?)

I can imagine that the TPAC experience might be more satisfying, but I don't plan to alter my flying schedule, or pay more, just to have a chance to fly the Polaris.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Flying IAD-AMS in Polaris (soft product). All I really want to know is if I'll get a Polar Bear or not.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Flying IAD-AMS in Polaris (soft product). All I really want to know is if I'll get a Polar Bear or not.
You won't.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just got back from EWR-LIM (Business), SCL-IAH (Polaris) so I could compare. The bedding was the same. The food and service level was definitely better on Polaris but not by much. EWR-LIM felt like domestic F service crew was a bit lazy, had to flag down someone for drink refills. This was a day flight and it seemed like they were running it like a night flight (disappearing after the meal service). SCL-IAH felt like intl J service. Attentive crew. I tried the mattress pad and gel pillow. The matress pad did not add much more padding but the smother surface felt better than with just the seat. The extra blankets seemed excessive. I did like the extra pillows as I'd use the small one to give me some extra lumbar support when sitting. The gel pillow was nicer but too small. Forgot about the slippers. So far, I think it is all "lipstick on a pig" until the actual seats change.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee
You won't.
Dammit.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Dammit.
I feel your pain.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just got off 892 ICN-SFO, and flew in the upper deck, which I haven't done since the IPTE seats came in.

Excellent flight, as usual. Dinner service was completed by about 90 minutes after take-off, and that was also when the seatbelt sign finally got turned off (only to be put back on about 5 minutes later). FA's were smiling, friendly, and my water glass was always topped up (btw, a US-based crew, for those who may assume that it's only the Asia based ones who are good!).

There were just 6 gel pillows loaded for the upper deck - I saw them as I boarded, so made sure to ask for mine (along with mattress pad and pajamas) quickly. They did run out of the gel pillows, but it looked like only 4 people were using the mattress pad, and as far as I could tell I was the only one in the pajamas.

Fun to ride in the upper deck again. Only complaint of course was the shorter bed, which for me makes for a more disturbed sleep. Overall, while the flight didn't quite match my ride in the nose of the KE 747-8i last week, it was a really nice one.

Like Kacee and bluedemon211, this has been typical of my experience. Very positive. I really feel for porciuscato - I've never, in more than 20 years of flying United, had my tray slammed down, or meal whisked away from me. I've never been waved at to hand over my tray - they've always reached down and picked it up, except when I choose to make it easier by handing it over, just as I do at restaurants. In which case I invariably receive a "thank you sir!" or "thank you Mr Cricketer!" in response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.