Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by vaguba
Question: For dessert can you ask for both the cheese plate and the sundae?
Yes, I don't see why not. I have been offered cheese, sundae, and the mini desserts all at once.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Yes. Have done.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by DEN
I’ve never ask but have been offered a number of times. I would say “yes” .

Left over cheese plates are often put out on the snack shelf mind-flight also.

DEN
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Yes, I don't see why not. I have been offered cheese, sundae, and the mini desserts all at once.
I've been denied multiple choices on occasion, but it was early[ish] in the roll-out.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Strange experience IAD-NRT couple weeks ago.. one particular.flight attendant decided that the bin (bassinet) in front of Row 9 (polarized 772) was a work table. Really annoying to have someone standing basically over you for the first hour of the flight doing paperwork, slamming trays and glasses down. I was going to call the purser but I witnessed an interaction between the purser and the FA that kind of indicated that we were not dealing with the best and brightest here in terns of the FA. Same FA used the snack cart outside the galley (with snacks on it) to scoff down her meal...not entirely an appetizing sight. Anybody else ever see the FA using the bassinet bin as a work table?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Slouchman
Strange experience IAD-NRT couple weeks ago.. one particular.flight attendant decided that the bin (bassinet) in front of Row 9 (polarized 772) was a work table. Really annoying to have someone standing basically over you for the first hour of the flight doing paperwork, slamming trays and glasses down. I was going to call the purser but I witnessed an interaction between the purser and the FA that kind of indicated that we were not dealing with the best and brightest here in terns of the FA. Same FA used the snack cart outside the galley (with snacks on it) to scoff down her meal...not entirely an appetizing sight. Anybody else ever see the FA using the bassinet bin as a work table?
It's happened more than once to me since I always sit in the bulkhead seats. On one occasion, the FA got really mad when I set my pillow and blanket on the shelf while I went to the lav. When I returned, I was read the riot act by her and told that it was a "safety issue", and that I couldn't put things up on the shelf at any time for that reason. It was difficult for me to not respond negatively to her ridiculous caprice, yet I bit my tongue and promised never to sin again. However, I was unforgiven and treated like a dog throughout the flight. Comically, during dinner service, she stashed a group of wine bottles on the "never to be used for safety reasons" shelf.

By the way, my incident happened on a NRT-IAH flight, and the FA was older, blonde, and legacy CO with a Texas accent. Any chance it was the same FA?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
When I returned, I was read the riot act by her and told that it was a "safety issue", and that I couldn't put things up on the shelf at any time for that reason.
I've also seen this once. Only on UA could an 'unsecured pillow' be considered more dangerous than a few wine bottles in the same location. #powertrip
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My recent Polaris experience was on 11/26- UA 901 SFO-LHR. I live in Denver and chose this to be able to have longer to sleep. The crew seemed very disjointed - not a team effort at all. Very weird - hey, coach passengers, if you can't stow your luggage, bring it up to business and we'll put it here. We left an hour late. I am gold and did get my meal choice but they forgot to cook it. But if I wanted to wait another 20 minutes we could get it and maybe the rest of the meal. It was time for me to go to sleep. I couldn't figure out why MY meal hadn't been cooked but everyone else with that entree got it on time. (Not to mention the SFO Polaris lounge where they had a waitlist to have a staff meeting at noon).

With the new status requirements, I'm now a free agent. Haven't decided whether or not it's worth an email to customer care.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
I've also seen this once. Only on UA could an 'unsecured pillow' be considered more dangerous than a few wine bottles in the same location. #powertrip
I got it too; I mean she made a really, really big deal about it. But it only happened once. So maybe this is the same FA in all these incidents.

She clearly viewed it as her workspace, which is how she used it for the rest of the flight, setting down used trays, etc (of course pillows are a huge safety issue when placed there, but dishes and knives are not).

Going forward, I'm going to bring a baby doll with me and put it in the bassinet, along with anything else I want to store there. If they force me to move my "emotional support doll," I am going to raise holy hell. ;-)
iluv2fly, UA_Flyer, seanp7 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Flew EWR-MAD in non-Polarised J, 767 on Nov 27.

Great crew! Was in 1D so got served by both sides, full wine top-ups, good meal (skipped dessert). The duck starter has thankfully changed into shrimp, overall meal was decent. The FA's even made a wine recommendation! Had the burger in the Polaris lounge prior, and also some rather delicious (and very large) butternut squash ravioli from the buffet (highly recommended!). The Paper Plane is still the best cocktail on the menu...

MAD-EWR yesterday, was sadly E+, but 22K exit row and an enjoyable flight despite a 90 min delay. A good crew again who handled the boarding fiasco pretty well (bags didn't fit, people staying in the aisles, etc). The second meal was a toasted sandwich snack with turkey/cheese/pesto - haven't had that before and it was pretty decent, IMO.

That's the last Polaris flight for me for the rest of winter. Next business class flight is AC YYZ-GRU for NYE, which I'm really looking forward to.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by seanp7
Flew EWR-MAD in non-Polarised J, 767 on Nov 27.

Great crew! Was in 1D so got served by both sides, full wine top-ups, good meal (skipped dessert). The duck starter has thankfully changed into shrimp, overall meal was decent. The FA's even made a wine recommendation! Had the burger in the Polaris lounge prior, and also some rather delicious (and very large) butternut squash ravioli from the buffet (highly recommended!). The Paper Plane is still the best cocktail on the menu...

MAD-EWR yesterday, was sadly E+, but 22K exit row and an enjoyable flight despite a 90 min delay. A good crew again who handled the boarding fiasco pretty well (bags didn't fit, people staying in the aisles, etc). The second meal was a toasted sandwich snack with turkey/cheese/pesto - haven't had that before and it was pretty decent, IMO.

That's the last Polaris flight for me for the rest of winter. Next business class flight is AC YYZ-GRU for NYE, which I'm really looking forward to.
Love that Paper Plane . . .
seanp7 and SkiPremier like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
It's happened more than once to me since I always sit in the bulkhead seats. On one occasion, the FA got really mad when I set my pillow and blanket on the shelf while I went to the lav. When I returned, I was read the riot act by her and told that it was a "safety issue", and that I couldn't put things up on the shelf at any time for that reason. It was difficult for me to not respond negatively to her ridiculous caprice, yet I bit my tongue and promised never to sin again. However, I was unforgiven and treated like a dog throughout the flight. Comically, during dinner service, she stashed a group of wine bottles on the "never to be used for safety reasons" shelf.

By the way, my incident happened on a NRT-IAH flight, and the FA was older, blonde, and legacy CO with a Texas accent. Any chance it was the same FA?
I've gotten some dirty looks when I stuck my laptop bag, etc up there. I often stick my food tray up there if I'm going to the LAV and they haven't come by.
With no storage space, I usually put my blankets and pillows up there. About 50% of the time, tell me to clear the space or do it for me for takeoff/landing though in all my flights, I've never had anything fall off of there except for a stray menu that the FA may have left up there. I can't imagine a pillow is going to do much damage. If you're in a situation where it's flying at you fast enough to do damage, I would think other far harder things in the cabin will be flying at you too.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by eng3
I often stick my food tray up there if I'm going to the LAV and they haven't come by.
+1, not uncommonly, usually before arrival
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi, on my recent flight SFO-TPE 777-300 didn’t have snacks in the galley. Normally, there would be chips, bananas, chocolate bars. Is this the new norm?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by schnitzer
Hi, on my recent flight SFO-TPE 777-300 didn’t have snacks in the galley. Normally, there would be chips, bananas, chocolate bars. Is this the new norm?
IME it's often just left-over desserts. But there is usually something. Did you ask? You can also ask for the mid-flight hot snack. (But this is one area where UA lags way behind the Asian carriers.)
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:44 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

It's amazing that on my three hour flight a few days ago they handed us nuts in a ramekin that was so hot that you really couldn't pick it up, but on my last two flights to/from London and my last flight from SIN to SFO they served the nuts without even seeing the sight of an oven. Minor, but very irritating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.