Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't think it's the length of the flight that matters, but your chances of clearing. Generally, paying a change fee for anything other than a currently confirmable upgrade is a bad idea.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by findark
I don't think it's the length of the flight that matters, but your chances of clearing. Generally, paying a change fee for anything other than a currently confirmable upgrade is a bad idea.
Thanks! Last time I spoke with reservations I was able to get someone very helpful who would waive my fee, etc., and the fare diff., was minimal. Chances of PZ>0 on these flights more than a few hours out is nil, but I know that's another thread. Thanks Again!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
TLV is the 2nd hardest after DEL in the system. I wouldn't count on it.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
FRA to SFO just got asked if I was older than 21 when asking for a glass of red wine with my dinner. I almost didn't know how to respond as it has been so long since turning 21.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
TLV is the 2nd hardest after DEL in the system. I wouldn't count on it.
Totally understood and not at all counting on it, but if my chances are better via SFO, I'll take it ... again, I know that's another thread, was just wondering of any notable differences. Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by chemengin
FRA to SFO just got asked if I was older than 21 when asking for a glass of red wine with my dinner. I almost didn't know how to respond as it has been so long since turning 21.
Asked and required proof, or just excepted an anwer of "Yes"?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by narvik
Asked and required proof, or just excepted an anwer of "Yes"?
Just a yes
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by chemengin
Just a yes
I'm wondering if that is the quirky UA FA humor rearing its ugly head.
Some have a knack of being funny (to them) and insulting (to us) at the same time.
If that FA was truly concerned about serving alcohol to a person under 21, simply accepting a "yes" seems a bit ineffective.

Just look at it as a compliment!
AndyInSaigon and chemengin like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
The smaller Saks blanket yesterday no longer felt soft like cashmere, but rather scratchy like regular wool. It looked the same to me. I had taken Polaris a week before that and it was still the nice soft one I had always had. Anyone else notice this enhancement, or maybe they are just using too much starch?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by lotemblizej
... or maybe they are just using too much starch?
So you reckon there's a possibility they do actually wash/dry-clean them then?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Finally got a chance to experience the much-vaunted new Polaris seats when my GPU processed for IAD-FRA on Nov 14. I believe the plane was a 777-200 v5?

I had a short connection time at IAD, coming in from DEN, so they were already boarding when I got to the gate. When I got to my seat (4L), I found the overhead bin already filled by the passenger in 3L. Not a big deal as there were plenty of other bins around but I found it funny that 3L specifically chose the one bin marked with the seat 4L to stow his stuff.

I do like the cabinets to stow things you want to access during the flight but don't want flying around in the event of an abrupt stop or dive and the fact that every seat has aisle access (have been "trapped" in a window seat before) but aside from that, I can't say I'm terribly impressed. The pod itself feels claustrophobic -- and I'm generally comfortable in a sleeping bag or bivvy sack so it takes a lot get me to feel that way. Everything is just closed in on you. Honestly, I'd prefer an aisle J seat on the 787 over this Polaris pod.

On the other hand, the meals were very good and the service was excellent. The spicy chicken was done perfectly without dried-out or overdone bits. The salad was more than adequate and the Riesling was quite good. I think the only problem I had was the flight leaving IAD so early, making it virtually impossible to get to sleep until shortly before we arrived in FRA.

Also, the first time I arrived in FRA where I didn't have to take the verdammt bus from the plane to the terminal.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I believe the plane was a 777-200 v5?

I had a short connection time at IAD, coming in from DEN, so they were already boarding when I got to the gate. When I got to my seat (4L), I found the overhead bin already filled by the passenger in 3L. Not a big deal as there were plenty of other bins around but I found it funny that 3L specifically chose the one bin marked with the seat 4L to stow his stuff.
The first couple of rows of overhead center bins are a smaller shape and size and locked. Since they are not available for passenger use, it displaces bag storage and probably why this affected you.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:58 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Finally got a chance to experience the much-vaunted new Polaris seats when my GPU processed for IAD-FRA on Nov 14. I believe the plane was a 777

I do like the cabinets to stow things you want to access during the flight but don't want flying around in the event of an abrupt stop or dive and the fact that every seat has aisle access (have been "trapped" in a window seat before) but aside from that, I can't say I'm terribly impressed. The pod itself feels claustrophobic -- and I'm generally comfortable in a sleeping bag or bivvy sack so it takes a lot get me to feel that way. Everything is just closed in on you. Honestly, I'd prefer an aisle J seat on the 787 over this Polaris pod.

On the other hand, the meals were very good and the service was excellent. The spicy chicken was done perfectly without dried-out or overdone bits. The salad was more than adequate and the Riesling was quite good. I think the only problem I had was the flight leaving IAD so early, making it virtually impossible to get to sleep until shortly before we arrived in FRA.
I felt confined the first time I sat in a Polaris seat at the Denver launch event, but I’ve gotten used to them since and in general the extra space and privacy is nice.

Most important i do like to hear about good service levels. This has been my biggest issue and disappointment with Polaris.

DEN
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA
Question: For dessert can you ask for both the cheese plate and the sundae?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:05 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vaguba
Question: For dessert can you ask for both the cheese plate and the sundae?
I’ve never ask but have been offered a number of times. I would say “yes” .

Left over cheese plates are often put out on the snack shelf mind-flight also.

DEN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.