Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Damn, why didn't United think of this ancillary bear revenue earlier
Not the Polaris bear but you can buy the kangaroo of safety video / Big Metal Bird fame here: https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=14000
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Not the Polaris bear but you can buy the kangaroo of safety video / Big Metal Bird fame here: https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=14000
Thanks! Sadly, I managed t miss the UA llama.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by UAinAUS
The bear will supposedly be available on all flights departing 31/3, and then no more. Possibly when new 77W routes are first flown, or when the retrofits enter service next year.
3/31 - SFO-HKG - Bear

4/2 - HKG-SFO - Bare
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I really miss the lack of salad dressings. Just having that one tiny bottle of olive oil / balsamic is nowhere near as good as the two choices of dressings they used to offer in business.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chuck1
What's up with the first beverage cart only having wine, sparking water and water?
Is that normal procedure on evening eastbound trans-Atlantic flights?
I guess they think it seems more elegant than a traditional beverage cart??
This is one of my biggest complaints. If you want a cocktail it throws everything off.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
This is one of my biggest complaints. If you want a cocktail it throws everything off.
You're supposed to have taken your artisanal, Hipster curated, cocktails before boarding in the Polaris Lounge. @:-)
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:32 pm

The flight attendants seemed perturbed about the bloody mary/mimosa cart too. I was on the westbound 947 AMS-IAD with a 50% load in business. I wanted tomato juice and it was a big production. She tried to talk me into the bloody mary mix already on the cart. As it was, I wanted a glass of water but felt sheepish because I wanted still but settled for the sparkling on the cart because I already made one special non-cart request.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: None anymore
Yeah, two of my flights the FA has come back to me after she completed drink service to get me my cocktail, and 3 of my flights she stopped the cart service as she made my drink.

FWIW I haven't gotten the actual bottle recently, they pour and mix the drink for me now. I prefer that because I don't get a can of soda that I don't want half of anymore.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by chuck1
The flight attendants seemed perturbed about the bloody mary/mimosa cart too. I was on the westbound 947 AMS-IAD with a 50% load in business. I wanted tomato juice and it was a big production. She tried to talk me into the bloody mary mix already on the cart. As it was, I wanted a glass of water but felt sheepish because I wanted still but settled for the sparkling on the cart because I already made one special non-cart request.
Originally Posted by warrenw
Yeah, two of my flights the FA has come back to me after she completed drink service to get me my cocktail, and 3 of my flights she stopped the cart service as she made my drink.

FWIW I haven't gotten the actual bottle recently, they pour and mix the drink for me now. I prefer that because I don't get a can of soda that I don't want half of anymore.
I like how my flight attendant handled it on UA6 (NRT-IAH) - if the customer wanted something not on the presentation trolley, she wrote it down on her paper napkin and advised the customer she would return once she finished drinks with for the rest of the passengers.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by trust77
I like how my flight attendant handled it on UA6 (NRT-IAH) - if the customer wanted something not on the presentation trolley, she wrote it down on her paper napkin and advised the customer she would return once she finished drinks with for the rest of the passengers.
I don't like that at all. They should go get the drink, not make you wait drink-less

United manages the "go get a drink from the galley" process on plenty of flights so I don't see why this is so difficult. On my flights I recall that another FA in the galley will make the cocktails, the cart FA simply has to communicate it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by trust77
That's ridiculous. Haven't seen that on any of my polaris flights, and if I had, there would've been a blasting on my flight survey. The FA has gone to the galley to get any non-wine/mimosa/bloody mary request.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just completed my 17th Polaris First/Business flights today (including one on the 77W inaugural SFO-HKG flight), I really have nothing negative to say about the Polaris services and amenity. ^

Yes, there are certain areas may need improvement, but I am quite satisfied.

I just did CA, TG and OZ in business between East Asia and Australia. I don't see UA being inferior at all.

I will start my annaul SQ frequent travel period, and IMHO, nothing can compare to SQ.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I don't like it. the newly configured 777's are like coffins. I hate Cathay's coffins (herringbone style) too. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to create privacy, but I found it cramped.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
"United Business Class Wine Consumption Up 300%, Airline Facing Shortage"

by Gary Leff on April 6, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....cing-shortage/

Mods- please delete is this was posted elsewhere.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
SFO-HND
Wine tasting done....right. FA (actually purser) poured them in order as they are stored and said it was from lightest to darkest. The last flight the FA wanted to wait while I sipped each one instead of just pouring which made me feel like being in a fishbowl.

Sadly as a 1K I couldn't get the Japanese meal but the no-status JPN pax on each side of me were able to.
During the delay back to the gate the REALLY awesome JPN FA did come to me specifically and take my arrival order so I could get the chicken katsu instead of some horrible cereal or an omelette for a 3pm local arrival.

Waiting to ask for a gel pillow once meal finishes.

Edit: Actually I didn't even get my second choice of duck. I was given the beef. It tasted good and the sauce was sweet/cherry/tangy so I thought maybe this is just over-cooked duck. I just checked the menu right now (I was a little buzzed earlier).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.