Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Flew Polaris Business for first time yesterday, ZRH-IAD. Award ticket, booked about 48 hours in advance.

1) So many pillows and blankets. Really took up space in the overheads to the point that the FAs apologized.

2) Meals were somewhat better. Beef short rib was good but not as described in the menu, which mentioned a porcini mushroom sauce- had more of a delmonico sauce. Cheese course was disappointing for a flight out of Switzerland: two slivers of Emmentaler and a small wedge of Gorgonzola. Drinks were offered after the second meal service- not before or during.

3). Are the salt and pepper shakers a Star Wars tie-in? Looked like little Death Stars.

4) The Polaris logo on the menu and chocolate box looks a lot like the logo of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

5) The amenity kit is also underwhelming. Not quite certain how I might be able to reuse it.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
I flew Polaris DEN-NRT on December 1. Just haven't had time to write a review. Other than the stuffed animal and the new soft pillows that the FA in Biz offered, I don't see much difference. The food was good, and the wine tasting a nice touch, but I just wanted to get served, and get to sleep. The seats are the same UA hard lie flats that I am used to and the mattress pad wasn't much to write home about. So I ate, then tried to catch some zzz's somewhat successfully. The second service was prompt, but I don't remember what it was, so that is diagnostic.

The thing that really was upsetting was the conditions in the lav's from about an hour into the flight. They really were filthy, with no bottled soap in the dispenser rack and paper all over the floor. UA FA's will not lift a finger to keep them clean so that is really no surprise.

Overall, this was a typical, Meh experience and not one that I will repeat unless I have to.

I connected to ANA from NRT-SIN and got upgraded from Economy to Business on that eight hour trip. I'll post a review in the ANA Forum, but it was a delightful, restful and respectful experience. I'm am a fan of ANA from here on out!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dresden

I connected to ANA from NRT-SIN and got upgraded from Economy to Business on that eight hour trip. I'll post a review in the ANA Forum, but it was a delightful, restful and respectful experience. I'm am a fan of ANA from here on out!
If you compare to NH the new product is crap. Even worse for First. Got to compare to DL/AA products to be fair IMO.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Comparison of two Polaris flugs - 881 on 12/08 and 882 on 12/18. Food and service on 881 where exceptional and the FA's where outstanding. 882 much less so the service was choppy the food was between warm and room temp. And the FA's where workman like with no Unnecessary interaction. The pajamas are nice and comfortable. Changing out at the end of a 12 hr. Flug is like changing clothes in an outhouse.
It's easier to join the 'club' than change in an upper deck lav.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The thing that really was upsetting was the conditions in the lav's from about an hour into the flight. They really were filthy, with no bottled soap in the dispenser rack and paper all over the floor. UA FA's will not lift a finger to keep them clean so that is really no surprise.
I noticed the same thing on my recent FRA-IAD flight in Polaris - no soap in the dispenser rack, even before departure. Contrast that with a UA TPAC originating in Asia - it's like another airline, the lavs start out so clean and well-provisioned.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I connected to ANA from NRT-SIN and got upgraded from Economy to Business on that eight hour trip.
You got a free upgrade or did you use a GPU?

What kind of economy fare was it, Y/B/M?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by wco81
You got a free upgrade or did you use a GPU?

What kind of economy fare was it, Y/B/M?
the upgrade was free, the NH gate agent said she was giving me a Christmas present with a big smile! I was on a W or V fare. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2016 at 6:17 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Wow, Merry Christmas to you!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So far it sucks. This 772 that has been here at sfo for hours just decided to roll up to the gate at 1900 for a scheduled 1935 departure to LHR. Finally boarding but no service from any flight attendants. I walk up to the galley and ask for a beer and was shut down quickly and told "we need to get off quickly" with a curt and snappy tone.

Well that was 20 minutes ago. Might as well be in 45E.

Lipstick on a pig.

ETA there is now a flight attendant walking down the aisle with an armful of life jackets.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Really rude purser and a FA serving our section on my recent EWR-HKG flight. My wife discovered that her IFE remote was shoved in the holder with the cable getting trapped under the remote. We couldn't yank it out. The purser came and told her that people don't know how to put the remote back in place, somehow implying that my wife was at fault. When our FA was telling me of the dessert choices, my wife had her headphones on as the FA was addressing me. She caught most of the choices, but missed a couple. The FA just flat out told her that she should not be listening to movies but paying attention to her....totally uncalled for. UA must train the senior crew not to behave like whatever they feel like. Other than that, the food, cutlery, plates and bedding were a massive improvement.
That's pretty uncalled for. You should write it to Customer Care and see what they say. That will be our route later this month. I hope we will not see this moving forward.

What were the amenities included in this flight? Did they still distribute the bear? My fiance is big fan of bears.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 19, 2016 at 10:26 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
So far it sucks. This 772 that has been here at sfo for hours just decided to roll up to the gate at 1900 for a scheduled 1935 departure to LHR. Finally boarding but no service from any flight attendants. I walk up to the galley and ask for a beer and was shut down quickly and told "we need to get off quickly" with a curt and snappy tone.

Well that was 20 minutes ago. Might as well be in 45E.

Lipstick on a pig.

ETA there is now a flight attendant walking down the aisle with an armful of life jackets.
I suppose they could have delayed boarding until the cabin was fully ready and organised, and thus made the flight even later for everyone onboard, or they could eliminate the PDB service: I know which I would prefer.

But I do agree that Polaris seems to be lipstick on a pig.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I suppose they could have delayed boarding until the cabin was fully ready and organised, and thus made the flight even later for everyone onboard, or they could eliminate the PDB service: I know which I would prefer.

But I do agree that Polaris seems to be lipstick on a pig.
Food was awful, even BA like. I had the short rib and it was chewy and tough. Not a smile to be found on any flight attendant. Good lord UA what is wrong with your staff?

Breakfast was an omelette that was tasteless. After attempting to bite the sausage in half with me teeth almost unsuccessfully I promptly spit it into my napkin. I've had better food on short haul LH in coach

Swinearis = FAIL.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interesting that American has allowed meal choice before flight for quite awhile and United is still doing the first and second choice on Polaris. How hard can this be to implement ?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Interesting that American has allowed meal choice before flight for quite awhile and United is still doing the first and second choice on Polaris. How hard can this be to implement ?
The biggest surprise to me was that UA didn't implement something similar with Polaris. It seems like such a win-win for everybody: people get their first choice almost 100% of the time (save for the occasional catering hiccup) and UA can reduce the number of meals that need to be catered onboard as there is less guessing about how many numbers of each choice need to be boarded.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by lowfareair
The biggest surprise to me was that UA didn't implement something similar with Polaris. It seems like such a win-win for everybody: people get their first choice almost 100% of the time (save for the occasional catering hiccup) and UA can reduce the number of meals that need to be catered onboard as there is less guessing about how many numbers of each choice need to be boarded.
I was surprised by that too. My personal prediction is that we'll them implement it before the Polaris hard product rollout is complete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.