Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by N104UA
-was it the PDE and internet working or did the built in screens not work as well.
Nothing worked. No Internet, no PDE, no map. Black screens the whole flight.

-did you ask for something else? If so were you told no? Often they ask "can I get you a drink, maybe some champagne or water?"
Nope, it was just water or champagne.
The guy in front of me asked for something else and was told they could get that for him when they start beverage service after take-off.

-Weather designation could be due to the inbound crew, if they arrived the afternoon before you flight they might not have had the mandatory rest period (was it delayed in advance)?
No. In fact it was a gradually increasing delay, 20-30 minutes at a time.

-Your luggage was probably misplaced but not lost, how long did it take to get back?
24 hours.

What I'm reflecting here is that despite all the promises, Polaris features the same operational lameness as before. Everything else is empty promises.

I booked through SFO partially based on a Polaris lounge being in place by "mid 2017." Will there even be one in mid 2018? I wonder. There remains a tiny handful of flights with new seats. Otherwise, you're on the seats of 15 years ago. I guess you get a better blanket and pillow. Wow!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
This one is about setting expectations. I got an email telling about all the wonderful things that will be part of my first Polaris flight. It is at least the 5th and will be the first with anything other than the bedding because I am flying through ORD. In very tiny print at the bottom - United Polaris travel features, including airport and aircraft configuration, may not be available in all markets and/or flights.

Is it any wonder there are disappointed passengers ?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am on CDG-ORD right now on an sUA 772 right now, and Polaris service is exceptional when all 5 rows of 2-4-2 J are completely empty in the middle section
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eng3
Thats why I was so disappointed with no sundae on my last flight (or the outbound EWR-LIM). Also I havent flown intl for approx 6mo and was sick on that flight so skipped the sundae and havent gotten a CPU clear on a TCON so its been a long time since I've had the sundae
I just had the same "business class" experience flying LIM-IAH while the first leg of my open jar flight IAH -SCL was Polaris. LIM-IAH had a much shorter menu with limited (i.e. 2) menu choices and no dessert. Polaris bedding was offered although I'm not sure if mattress paddings and gel pillows were available because I fell asleep too fast, I didn't even have any food.

What I am wondering is, where does UA draw the line between business and Polaris business class? I thought it was domestic vs international flights but at least this IAH - LIM flight doesn't fit into the mix. Can anybody enlighten me?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Had a couple Polaris Global First, or whatever it's called, flights recently. Outbound to Europe was absolutely fantastic, I was the only one awake for the flight and the FA truly went above and beyond. Plus the food was actually pretty good (entree salad)

Coming back the service was average for first and food not good.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by UASleeper
I just had the same "business class" experience flying LIM-IAH while the first leg of my open jar flight IAH -SCL was Polaris. LIM-IAH had a much shorter menu with limited (i.e. 2) menu choices and no dessert. Polaris bedding was offered although I'm not sure if mattress paddings and gel pillows were available because I fell asleep too fast, I didn't even have any food.

What I am wondering is, where does UA draw the line between business and Polaris business class? I thought it was domestic vs international flights but at least this IAH - LIM flight doesn't fit into the mix. Can anybody enlighten me?
Here's what I can find to answer your question.

International flights from the US to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Peru (plus intra-Pacific and GUM-HNL) get standard United Business food.
* the one caveat is that the Peru flights use "Polaris" aircraft, so they get more of a Polaris-lite service as opposed to the regular United Business service.

United Polaris food is for all international flights from the US to Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Europe, Africa, India, Israel, Middle East, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The International Service Manager was consistent in using BizFirst throughout the flight (PVG-SFO on Sept. 12). Polaris was not mentioned at all. As a bonus, she called this flight CO 890, instead of UA 890 and a wrong arrival date (should be Sept. 11). She realized the first mistake right way, but took a while to correct the second mistake. I wonder how long the BizFirst name will be retired for sCO crews. Lol.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Here's what I can find to answer your question.

International flights from the US to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Peru (plus intra-Pacific and GUM-HNL) get standard United Business food.
* the one caveat is that the Peru flights use "Polaris" aircraft, so they get more of a Polaris-lite service as opposed to the regular United Business service.

United Polaris food is for all international flights from the US to Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Europe, Africa, India, Israel, Middle East, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore.
Thanks much for the info. Is this available on United's webpage or is this insider knowledge? What's the rationale for this? Maybe the relatively short duration (under/around 6 hrs) for most flights to those countries as they originate from IAH?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Of a bit more than a half dozen flights since Polaris launched (all TATL) 109 EDI-EWR on Sunday was hands down the best experience I've had in Polaris, and the only time I've had the FAs pass through the aisle (repeatedly, at that) offering pillows and slippers.

The ISM was on top of things, the crew was personable, the food was good (and I actually managed to eat the salad without gagging), and the pilots were extremely personable (The Captain, CJ, our "glorified bus driver for this trip across the Atlantic" made a point to address the Polaris cabin prior to departure, standing in the aisle confirming that wifi/IFE had no open write-ups, planned cruising altitude, smooth flight, etc. [He then went back to the L2 door and did a PA of much of the same information for the Y cabin]

My fiancée [er: wife] and I were coming home from our wedding and were particularly well looked after during the flight and invited to take pictures on the flight deck at the end of the flight -- including a group shot with all 3 of the pilots -- but even discounting that, I don't think I could have asked for anything more in terms of soft product delivery.
thefiverivers and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by UASleeper
Thanks much for the info. Is this available on United's webpage or is this insider knowledge? What's the rationale for this? Maybe the relatively short duration (under/around 6 hrs) for most flights to those countries as they originate from IAH?
Mostly insider knowledge unfortunately. But flights using domestic equipment (737-G/8/9, A319-320, 753, and any UAX flight) are treated as domestic in every way except for lounge access. The cabin is called United Business instead of United First. The Peru flights are the one exception as they are on Polaris-equipped aircraft, which is why they get a small upgrade over the others.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Took flight #857 (744 SFO-PVG) on 12 September. Last flight in UD before retirement of the 744 fleet. Crew was great! Really appreciated that people wanted to fly on "their bird" before it went away.

Wine tasting and full service offered beautifully. FA proactively offered jell pillows, mattress pads, AND PJ's! Have not seen that this year.

Food was good, timing excellent, and when I woke up mid way thru the breakfast service they ran thru the cabin to make sure I could eat and hit the lav to change clothes before the seat belt sign went on.

Overall a fabulous flight. Taking the return tomorrow 15 September in 1A so really getting the best of both worlds on my last 744 trip.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
UA 893 SFO-ICN August 25th on a 744 UD.
Service was great and attentive and gotten the same 2 FA's across nearly the entire flight. PDB of choice with nothing to accompany it. Wine tasting offered and FA was glad to show the wine labels, asked for the gel pillow and mattress pad before take off and gotten them promptly. After I woke up, was offered a hot snack of rice and pork. Food was alright for the most part with some downsides but nothing too major except for the garlic bread debacle. Offered refills on the bread. Dessert cart and wine tasting were available.

UA 838 NRT-SFO August 27th on a 77W back J cabin
Service was great as well but more flustered as there was at least 4-5 different FA's coming to my seat to check up on me over the course of the flight. PDB of choice served with a chocolate and green tea truffle. Asked for the gel pillow right after take off as I was making my choices for dinner. Got it after 5 mins which was fine for me cause of the frantic nature I saw the flight attendants in. Food was alright yet again with some downsides yet breakfast was a tad bit better than dinner and there was good looking garlic bread on this flight. Was not offered refills on bread. Dessert cart and wine tasting were available.

Overall I loved my two Polaris experiences so far, can't wait to go on another one.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Nice to read some really positive experiences above. ^

It seems, with the pre-plated bread and my experiences of no other bread refills offered, that UA really don't want us to eat the catered bread supply. Good for our waistlines, I suppose
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Member

I confess I did not read all the posts here but am looking forward to June Polaris experience SFO/LHR.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
they really need to get the new planes on SFO-LHR. i have flown this a couple of times this year and the 2-4-2 just doesn't cut it on a route that has been having zero upgrades. Been shut out 3 times for GPU upgrade to first. i miss the 474 UD. i have been lucky to have grabbed aisles on the 2 of the 4 but come on. why does TPE get the new plane (although not complaining when i got this day before for saver award in November)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.