Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BH62
Thought the comment referred to chicken portion size, not the route. Something on the order of "in contrast to p.s. experience, TPAC chicken was ....". And to another poster, I agree,: yes, eat as much as you want, there are no prizes for a clean plate.
International flights have a different budget than ps flights so you can't compare domestic p.s. to international polaris.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by DEN
This is exactly what happens when you choose cabin crews based on seniority & language skillsets and not performance. I really expect little systemwide change until this issue is resolved, if ever. Perhaps an unfair evaluation, but my opinion none-the-less. ...
I think a lot of fliers will second your opinion. IME, 95% of UAX FAs are great; that goes down to 75% on Domestic First; and to about 50% on Polaris. It's ironic that the most expensive tickets often garner the worst service.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
It's ironic that the most expensive tickets often garner the worst service.
That's pretty much limited to US carriers that are dominated by parasitic unions that don't really allow management to fire the terrible crews (then again, very few US airlines have good top management to begin with but that's a different story).

The best foreign airlines out there only allow their best cabin crews to work in F and J where they know passengers are paying a lot more for those seats.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by fly747first
That's pretty much limited to US carriers that are dominated by parasitic unions that don't really allow management to fire the terrible crews (then again, very few US airlines have good top management to begin with but that's a different story).

The best foreign airlines out there only allow their best cabin crews to work in F and J where they know passengers are paying a lot more for those seats.
Before this devolves into something Omni, I will say that the corporate culture along with the labor unions do have quite a bit of responsibility in how this plays out. The Asian carriers that I have flown also have a different culture in terms of service from a societal standpoint. The employees that I speak with do not have the same kind of protections afforded the US carriers. So they are always on their toes because a valid complaint can easily get them canned.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:17 pm

“The best” you’re referring to are based in the Middle East, and some Asian countries. No surprise they also employ labor practices that would make most Westerners squirm. But hey, best not to think about that when I’m onboard an A380 taking a shower, eh?

This ad would be perfect for some of those aforementioned above.
http://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploa...nes-losers.jpg
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

I have had bad service on LH and BA legacy crews are notoriously bad, this is not just limited to US crews, read some of the recent reviews of OMAAT of ME and SE Asian airlines and you will see that besides a few 5 star Skytrax airlines crews can be worse than in the USA
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by N104UA
I have had bad service on LH and BA legacy crews are notoriously bad, this is not just limited to US crews, read some of the recent reviews of OMAAT of ME and SE Asian airlines and you will see that besides a few 5 star Skytrax airlines crews can be worse than in the USA
AV, for example, is renowned for poor service, which I find totally perplexing given the graciousness of Colombians otherwise. I've also had cold and indifferent service on LX every single time.

CX and SQ are the carriers that stand out to me for consistency of service (though I find SQ's brand of politeness rather forced).

UA actually does pretty well in my book for on-board service, though you will occasionally get a lazy crew and that certainly leaves a bad impression.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

X2 My company has worked for many years with some of the premier Asian and ME carriers,FA's jobs are promoted as an adventure not a career and very few get through to the purser and senior FA ranks. I do believe though with right leadership and consistency a turnaround is possible, Turkish I think is a good example, ICAO code THY which pax used to say stood for They Hate You. In my 14 years as a UA FF consistency has always been the biggest issue with their performance.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Before this devolves into something Omni, I will say that the corporate culture along with the labor unions do have quite a bit of responsibility in how this plays out. The Asian carriers that I have flown also have a different culture in terms of service from a societal standpoint. The employees that I speak with do not have the same kind of protections afforded the US carriers. So they are always on their toes because a valid complaint can easily get them canned.
Corporate culture comes from leadership, and if the leadership does not care about the passengers the rank and file will follow. Unions do have a strong hold on many if not all of the big 3-4 airlines in the US. I wish the unions would stop protecting the FA's who are the bad seeds, maybe once some are fired, others will change the attitude.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: UA
I fly ICN/SFO pretty frequently in business. When Polaris first rolled out, the food was significantly better and in larger portions than before. I had a lamb dish that was one of the best in-flight meals I've ever had. Then, a few months later, it seemed like UA was back to its old self again. Portions had been reduced, food was just so so. And on top of that, no more sundaes. Very disappointed.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Ua860 gru-iad

Wife and I were on UA860 GRU-IAD on Jun 14. PDB for me was the bubbly and came in the spindle glass. Wife had water in the blue plastic cup. Both had the box of chocolates. Asked early for a mattress pad and gel pillow for the wife when they had time and if they remembered, and the FA did, bringing both before departure. Her first Polaris flight, said she slept quite well. Both skipped dinner, breakfast was typical omelet, but not the southwestern one that I like. Sundae not mentioned on the menu.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuolumne
“The best” you’re referring to are based in the Middle East, and some Asian countries. No surprise they also employ labor practices that would make most Westerners squirm. But hey, best not to think about that when I’m onboard an A380 taking a shower, eh?

This ad would be perfect for some of those aforementioned above.
http://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploa...nes-losers.jpg
Air France, Austrian, Lufthansa, Swiss, Air Serbia, etc. are also great airlines and even with unions, they consistently manage to deliver better customer service in premium cabins.

Even when I don't speak French or German, I cannot recall in hundreds and hundreds of flights in F when I ever had a worse cabin crew than on UA's pathetic GlobalFirst or AA's international First with their disinterested highly senior crews who feel bothered by passengers.

Ironically, the best cabin crews I have had in First Class on AF and LH were very senior and been flying for well over 20 years yet they were so dedicated and truly wanting to look after their passengers from their heart.

Last edited by fly747first; Jun 16, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by qfrodo
Wife and I were on UA860 GRU-IAD on Jun 14. PDB for me was the bubbly and came in the spindle glass. Wife had water in the blue plastic cup. Both had the box of chocolates. Asked early for a mattress pad and gel pillow for the wife when they had time and if they remembered, and the FA did, bringing both before departure. Her first Polaris flight, said she slept quite well. Both skipped dinner, breakfast was typical omelet, but not the southwestern one that I like. Sundae not mentioned on the menu.
This is contrary to some comments on the "Let's Eat" thread saying the spindle glass and tray are gone. (Maybe they're just running through the last of the supplies.)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by st530
This is contrary to some comments on the "Let's Eat" thread saying the spindle glass and tray are gone. (Maybe they're just running through the last of the supplies.)
I guess it's like "sundaes are back" YMMV. Inconsistency is the only constant at UA
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I guess it's like "sundaes are back" YMMV. Inconsistency is the only constant at UA
^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.