Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Software update issues: September 9, 2019

Software update issues: September 9, 2019

Old Sep 10, 19, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
full site seems to be working on iPhone now

just noticed that that the colors in the font color palette are different: the darker bright green (“Emerald”?) is gone, as are several variations of grey/silver ... I’m really curious as to the rationale behind putting resources toward changing something relatively innocuous (and it’s ok to just fess up if it was the summer intern project), but there are so many improvements to actual functionality and the UI that remain to be addressed
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I just looked on Safari and I still have the same blue and white buttons like I do on Chrome. What are people talking about with the orange buttons and yellow highlights?
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:38 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I just looked on Safari and I still have the same blue and white buttons like I do on Chrome. What are people talking about with the orange buttons and yellow highlights?
The "Reply" button was orange for a while today, but it was reported upthread that the tech folks have changed it back to blue. I can vouch that it was orange for a time and I didn't like it either.

The yellow highlights are highlighting announcement posts in a forum - for example, if you go to the main page of this Technical Support/Feedback forum, you should see there are two threads that are now highlighted yellow in the list.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
"Reply" and "New Thread" buttons are now blue again (clear cache if still orange). and "Thread Closed" should appear red.
Thank you!
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
The "Reply" button was orange for a while today, but it was reported upthread that the tech folks have changed it back to blue. I can vouch that it was orange for a time and I didn't like it either.

The yellow highlights are highlighting announcement posts in a forum - for example, if you go to the main page of this Technical Support/Feedback forum, you should see there are two threads that are now highlighted yellow in the list.
Gotcha.

I see the yellow highlights now both on Chrome and Safari. They aren't nearly as annoying as some are suggesting; they just seem superfluous.
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha.

I see the yellow highlights now both on Chrome and Safari. They aren't nearly as annoying as some are suggesting; they just seem superfluous.
They may not be annoying to you , but how can you say how annoying they are to others? - I find highlighter yellow style very annoying and distracting
Old Sep 10, 19, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Site working now on my iPad and my MacBook, with blockers, and *really* appreciate the return to blue ‘reply’ button. Thank you!
Old Sep 10, 19, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand the point of the "Back to Subforum" button at the bottom of a thread, when clicking "Go" next to the "Forum Jump" drop-down seems to accomplish the exact same thing, no?
Attached Images  
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Full site is completely broken in MobileSafari with an adblocker. Blank page. Clearing cache and resetting to the mobile site works.

Yes, I am a horrible person for using an adblocker. Except you guys suck in your ad vetting; I’m pretty sure that $1000 Amazon gift card or iPhone I allegedly won is a spam ad. I won’t remove adblockers if you guys allow spammy clickjacking ads in your ad network. Sorry not sorry.
I use a malware/tracer block and now get a splash screen hiding the site for nearly a minute. Sorry but if you don't value the privacy of my identity by blocking known id trafficking sites then I'm probably not interested in this site anymore.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I was participating in a thread and somehow during the upgrade / maintenance window, something strange happened to the posts that were posted during a specific period of time.

See this thread (post number 857). Posts 841 - 855 are just gone. But I posted one of those and if I go to my user dashboard and click on "My Posts" and navigate to it, it loads a version of the thread that has those posts again (here's a direct link to one missing post). But every time I load it directly from subscribed threads they don't appear.

Cache consistency problem?
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by SK View Post
Yes. My screen was as blank as that!
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Using the Spoiler-tag around an IMG-tag adds a outlined box below the spoiler button
Attached Images  
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Just scanning some of the issues here and to be frank it seems like shocking incompetence. I run a web development company and a lot of these issues are basic and claims that the staging environment couldn't accurately replicate the production one are weak.

- You can use cache control headers as well as changing version numbers on script and stylesheet includes to force browsers to reload them
- A staging environment can never be 100% the same as production but it can be 99.5% the same, and a proper pre-production UAT environment should include having the exact same server configuration (down to the operating system, web server, databases, etc) and database schema, ideally it should use a restore of the production database, though this is often not practical due to size.
- Basic cross-browser testing appears to have been skipped.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:26 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Congrats!

For Chrome users like me, are we supposed to get these horrible orange buttons? Everything is blue and white still on Chrome AFAICT.
After feedback, we kept them blue.

Still have the posting-returning-to-last page issue, of course.
This is unique to those who have post display set as "Newest First" and we are working on it.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:27 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
full site seems to be working on iPhone now

just noticed that that the colors in the font color palette are different: the darker bright green (“Emerald”?) is gone, as are several variations of grey/silver ... I’m really curious as to the rationale behind putting resources toward changing something relatively innocuous (and it’s ok to just fess up if it was the summer intern project), but there are so many improvements to actual functionality and the UI that remain to be addressed
I'm actually not aware of any changes like that. Could you please post a screenshot so I can investigate?

EDIT: OK, I know what you mean now. I missed the word "font". I'll ask about that.

Last edited by IBJoel; Sep 11, 19 at 7:56 am

Search this Thread