Reload this Page >

Software update issues: September 9, 2019

Software update issues: September 9, 2019

Old Sep 12, 19, 3:03 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
Me too including mobile Safari.

And while we’re at it, must flyvertalk ads be animated? Do you have any data supporting a financial benefit? (I wouldn’t mind paying an annual fee for ad-free, but don’t see it mentioned as an option.)

At times the visual triggers bring up thoughts of whether my doctor should have me checked for borderline misokinesia.

Joel, in August 2015, before your time here on flyertalk, I wrote about such distraction in one of my first posts.

Why crawl when you can stand still? [ditracting headline sroll]
Is the site still a blank page for you while using mobile Safari? To my knowledge, this was fixed.

If you have accessibility/medical concerns, I'm happy to PM you about what precisely I can bring to the dev team to improve those areas. I'm not quite sure about the relevance of your post from 2015, although I couldn't read the NYT article because I'm maxed out for the month.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
This is because it takes you to your own post in the event that you need to edit anything.
No, it does not. It takes me to the last page of the thread, which is the first posts. I have to click on "First" to get back to my post. Try changing your settings to "newest first" and you'll see what I mean.

Just now, after my reply, I was taken to "page 6 of 6" which included posts 1-12, and not the page containing my post 212, which would be "page 1 of 6" with my settings.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
No, it does not. It takes me to the last page of the thread, which is the first posts. I have to click on "First" to get back to my post. Try changing your settings to "newest first" and you'll see what I mean.
IBJoel that’s the same issue I previously described and that you said tech had moved to higher priority to fix.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
The #hashtag or #pound reading as a "website" is due to the hashtag subscriptions you can edit here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/user...shsubscription
Useless suggestion. I want to enter post #213 , and your software is creating a bogus link. There is unfortunately no way to avoid this bug without editing the post after the fact (which I did not do this time to demonstrate how broken this "feature" is).
Mwenenzi and narvik like this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:17 am
Administrator

Just now, after my reply, I was taken to "page 6 of 6" which included posts 1-12, and not the page containing my post 212, which would be "page 1 of 6" with my settings.
Yeah, there was a lot of confusion about this and I worked it out. Tech is already working on it, as of 5:40am today.
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:20 am
Administrator

Useless suggestion. I want to enter post #213 , and your software is creating a bogus link. There is unfortunately no way to avoid this bug without editing the post after the fact (which I did not do this time to demonstrate how broken this "feature" is).
But it's... not a bug. Using a pound/hashtag symbol creates a tag. If you want to link to a specific post, that post has its own URL that you can copy. Or if you just want to denote a post without linking, you can just type "213". Creating a tag also doesn't interfere with understanding your message.

EDIT: Let me test one thing
test 1: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31519458-post214.html
test 2: #214
test 3: #214

OK, so even if you type "#214" and link it to a specific post, that post link will override the tag link.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, LH FTL, BA Gold, TK Elite, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Diamond, A-Club Silver, Hertz 5*
I'm not aware of any limit under 100MB (and I believe even that is not in effect). Could you please email me that content, so I can test it out? [email protected]
Hi Joel, Thanks for the reply. The problem is that for this post, I was stupid enough to type "live" directly into the thread, and not copy/pasting from an off-line text editor. I have some of the text which I recreated again (this time using the notepad) that I will share with you by email.
Basically, I was typing some text, then adding a couple pictures (resized in a 1200x900 format so that the size does not exceed 500kb per pic) and then continuing to type, add some more pics, then type again etc... until I figured out I wanted to change something at the beginning of my post and realized the content was no longer there. Actually, most, but not all the content typed or uploaded disappeared. Hope that my explanations make sense.
I used in the past the autorestore feature, which I would have been VERY happy to see yesterday, but there was no way to find it.
I tried later on typing the small content I recreated and uploaded a few pics, but the smae thing happened again...
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:30 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by palmanfr View Post
Hi Joel, Thanks for the reply. The problem is that for this post, I was stupid enough to type "live" directly into the thread, and not copy/pasting from an off-line text editor. I have some of the text which I recreated again (this time using the notepad) that I will share with you by email.
Basically, I was typing some text, then adding a couple pictures (resized in a 1200x900 format so that the size does not exceed 500kb per pic) and then continuing to type, add some more pics, then type again etc... until I figured out I wanted to change something at the beginning of my post and realized the content was no longer there. Actually, most, but not all the content typed or uploaded disappeared. Hope that my explanations make sense.
I used in the past the autorestore feature, which I would have been VERY happy to see yesterday, but there was no way to find it.
I tried later on typing the small content I recreated and uploaded a few pics, but the smae thing happened again...
You said this was using FireFox? Do you get it everytime you type anything? Or Any time you upload anything? Or just at random?
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:03 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
IBJoel that’s the same issue I previously described and that you said tech had moved to higher priority to fix.

This should now be fixed. As always, clear cache if it's still wonky and try again.
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

This should now be fixed. As always, clear cache if it's still wonky and try again.
It's not fixed.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:05 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
It's not fixed.
Sorry, that's my bad. It said they found a fix, but they're bug-testing on Staging, not the Live site. I read the log incorrectly.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Smilies:

Not sure if posted already, but there's an issue with the Smilies too: for some reason, after a while (not sure if random) if you click on the Smilies, the possible selection multiplies; i.e. there's the exact same Smilies available, but they are displayed multiple times.

...testing

...testing more

Apparently this issue happens after editing a post: the multiplication of Smilies is in direct proportion of how many edits the post receives:

Last edited by narvik; Sep 13, 19 at 3:29 pm
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:33 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

IBJoel Unfortunately, there is a new glitch that I've now noticed. We get the thread highlighted in our MyFlyerTalk list of threads even after we are the ones who made the latest post--that's a glitch. We know we already posted, of course!
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
...There is unfortunately no way to avoid this bug without editing the post after the fact (which I did not do this time to demonstrate how broken this "feature" is).
But it's... not a bug.
It kind of is a bug though, and it has been a very annoying one.
I simply see no purpose to it. There's NO WAY anyone would want to know who else posted something with No. 1, or whatever.
Maybe this hashtag "feature" could be removed for numbers???

As mahasamatman previously mentioned; this is NOT new to this latest update, but would be nice if it could be corrected.
It's VERY annoying, especially for new members who may think there is a clickable link in a post with additional information, when there is not.

This would be some example:

"So, I was #1 on the upgrade list, but then almost miraculously, just 5 minutes before boarding I dropped to #3, then #14 . 10 minutes later I
was #1 again. Why? By the way, I feel sorry for the last on the upgrade list, as they were at #1574!"

See how those links appear? I would now normally go back into EDIT mode, and delete those links manually.
(I did this edit for Number 3 in the above example (removed the hyperlink), and changed the number 1574 from 123, but it still reverts to hashtag 123.)

REALLY QUITE ANNOYING!

Last edited by narvik; Sep 13, 19 at 9:32 pm
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
snapshot of my post #197 upthread

partially to see what works and what doesn’t work; partially to reiterate that I fear we are fighting a losing battle

for a number that refers to a post within the thread, the auto-hashtag is fine; however, for a number that refers to ANYTHING ELSE, the fact that it sends you to the upthread post is **COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY USELESS**
narvik likes this.

Search this Thread