Wiki Posts
Search

Software update issues: September 9, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:56 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by Finkface
So it seems they have completely taken away the ability to use FT with a content blocker. I, too, get a blank screen using Safari on an ipad. So my choices are to remove my content blocker which renders FT in my ipad unusable or quit using the site. Sad to say, I will no longer be on FT unless this is fixed.

First, it was your spammy, virus-ridden ads that caused me to install a blocker in the first place. On an ipad, the ads you choose make the site so slow that it is impossible to use. Second, you have taken away my choice and that does not sit well with me. Sad.
Originally Posted by Finkface
So it seems they have completely taken away the ability to use FT with a content blocker. I, too, get a blank screen using Safari on an ipad. So my choices are to remove my content blocker which renders FT in my ipad unusable or quit using the site. Sad to say, I will no longer be on FT unless this is fixed.

First, it your spammy, virus-ridden ads that caused me to install a blocker in the first place. On an ipad, the ads you choose make the site so slowthat it is impossible to use. Second, you have taken away my choice and that does not sit well with me. Sad.
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Same issue - desktop mode on both iPad and iPhone, Safari 12.2. I have no issues using Dolphin browser on same iPad/iPhone.
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
I often get a blank screen on Safari on up-to-date OSX 10.14.6 - this thread for instance, the BA dashboard and many others do not open properly. Sometimes I see a flash of the page requested but then it goes blank. Seems to work ok on FF and chrome. All history and caches cleared.
Originally Posted by armus
+1 to this, but the workaround I used was to reload w/o content blockers (....... Plus). Deleting cache also worked until I logged back in again (which took me out of mobile view again). While it worked I saw a more obnoxious nag msg about the blocker. It was flyertalk’s annoying ads (usually when abroad) that first prompted me to install blockers in the first place. It still boggles the mind on why websites opt to nag users rather than switch to compliant/acceptable ads that will get whitelisted/permitted by the ad blocker.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I just get a blank screen on Mac Pro using Safari.
Originally Posted by nancypants
Not sure if it’s just me but the like button functionality is intermittent at best (in safari FWIW)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I'm having this same issue with Safari on my MacBook Pro, I'm having to use Chrome to view any threads.
Originally Posted by jrl767
using Full Site display mode on iPhone, I can see the front page of the forum (specifically Alaska and Delta), but only get a blank screen when I select any thread to display ... works ok if I switch to View Mobile Site mode **but that’s not how I want to navigate the site**

not a fan of the rollout so far ...
Hi guys, I've asked Tech to take a look at Safari/Mac/iOS compatibility and stressed it's very high priority. I have no reason to believe that it's a content blocker, since we just use pop-ups to ask you to turn them off, not blank out your screen without telling you what's going on.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:03 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've decided that I don't like the orange buttons as when I see them, I instinctively think of the red "thread closed" indications. It's very annoying.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And they the bloated blobs take up more of the screen area. Less screen area for the threads/text.
And those yellow "non announcement" streaks do the same

From the posts in this thread to date very obvious that QA, checking & testing with various common browser software was not part of this software downgrade.
Why do FT/IB want to drive customers away?
Change for the sake of change.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Agreed. That's how it looks to me, too.
Originally Posted by yosithezet
+1
To my knowledge, the orange/blue/grey buttons are to aid accessibility, both for new users and those with visual impairment.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:08 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Oh, one more thing. The blue "Subscribe" and "Reply With Review" buttons don't seem to change at all on rollover. Consistency and predictability are good things in website design and functionality.
I've made a tech ticket for this, thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:12 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by missingcolours
Anyone else find that the font difference between unread and read threads/forums seems to have changed significantly? Used to be bold for unread and regular text for read, now it seems like "100% bold for unread, 80% bold for read". Very hard to distinguish on mobile.
Originally Posted by florens
Indeed. cf the picture above.
Originally Posted by narvik
This is definitely an issue: there's not enough font distinction between read vs. unread on mobile devices.
(It's fine on the desktop version. ^)
I've asked for a fix. Luckily, the little red dot on the right is still there.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:16 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
When you quote a post, the space between the quoted post and where you enter your reply has disappeared, please put it back. Thanks.
Informed tech, thank you. I agree that's very annoying.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:20 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by intuition
With the new design, I've finally discovered the "View next unread" at the bottom - so that is a plus!
However, it does not behave like I hoped/anticipated. It takes me to a thread where there are new replies since my last visit. However it lands me at the first page and first post of that thread. From there I can do "View first unread", but I am wondering if the View next unread" at the bottom couldn't link directly to the first unread post of next unread thread?
I can ask about this, but I don't currently have a consensus about who prefers what and how many users use the function in what way (that's for a different thread, at any rate).
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:21 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by IBJoel
To my knowledge, the orange/blue/grey buttons are to aid accessibility, both for new users and those with visual impairment.
So why wouldn’t the Quick Reply button also be the same color?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:22 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by fassy
This is really annoying, I hope it can be fixed by going back to use bold font for threads with unread replies and regular for read threads. With the current implementation the board becomes unusual on the iPhone for me.
I asked for this formatting back. In the meantime, the red dots on the right side of the thread title will denote if you've read it or not.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
I'm getting the same on Safari on iPhone running XR iOS 12.4.1 when trying to open up threads. It opens up those threads highlighted yellow ok, but any other thread loads briefly then blanks out to a white page.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:25 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by yosithezet
So why wouldn’t the Quick Reply button also be the same color?
It IS separated down from the other buttons and the only button next to it leads you to a page that also has you type your reply. But I didn't design the site or have much technical knowledge.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:26 am
Administrator

We are currently working on this with a high priority
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:53 am
SK

Exclamation Same on Mac Pro

Same thing is happening on my Mac Pro. Flyertalk pages are not loading on Safari 🙁
IBJoel likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:37 am

I asked for this formatting back. In the meantime, the red dots on the right side of the thread title will denote if you've read it or not.
Thanks IBJoel, didn’t even notice the red dots... probably just being a creature of habit with tunnel vision
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SK
Same thing is happening on my Mac Pro. Flyertalk pages are not loading on Safari 🙁
Same thing on my iMac as well. I am using ad-block and disabling/pausing it allows the pages to load (and fwiw, without ads )
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Hi guys, I've asked Tech to take a look at Safari/Mac/iOS compatibility and stressed it's very high priority. I have no reason to believe that it's a content blocker, since we just use pop-ups to ask you to turn them off, not blank out your screen without telling you what's going on.
glad to hear this, but I'm experiencing the same thing on a MacBook using safari. if I 'reload without content blockers,' I get the page loaded, otherwise the entire site is blank.

while I'm at it, here's another voice saying 'the orange reply button is distracting and intrusive.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.