Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Do you have the exact itinerary so I can try to reproduce it?
Sorry for the delay...not on FT daily anymore. BOS-SIN depart 9/3 return 9/6:

9/3 BOS-DTW-NRT dep BOS 710am
9/4 NRT-SIN arrive 1150p 9/4
9/6 SIN-NRT-DTW-BUF arrive 841p (overnight)
9/7 BUF-LGA-BOS

There were a couple of different options on the return with fewer connections (=fewer MQMs). Just note if you are using GUCs and you have an overnight as your "connection" make sure they code/clear your next-day segments using a single GUC. That didn't happen automatically for me but they fixed it--took 10-15 mins via phone. My BUF overnight isn't technically a stopover...I arrive after the last connecting flight so I "connect" to the first one on the next day.

I was able to get this (and the other routings) to price via ITA Matrix but couldn't get Google Flights to figure it out so it was booked via phone without issue.
Now just the wait on the NRT/SIN/NRT segments to clear.

Last edited by iamhereandthere; Mar 19, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
Hey guys/girls, where do I book this? I have no idea? Would appreciate your assistance.
I always locate the fare using google.com/flights. Select multi city and enter the route. For example using '$967 ai 3.82 cpm Apr 20-23 Best Price'

LAX-JFK Apr 20
JFK-SIN (will return with JFK-NRT-SIN) Apr 21
SIN-JFK (wil return with SIN-NRT-JFK) Apr 23
JFK-LAX Apr 23

Once you pick the flights theres a button at the bottom that links you over to DL and automatically pulls up the flight for you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:02 pm

Hey guys/girls, where do I book this? I have no idea? Would appreciate your assistance.
Use ITA Matrix to search. You can book via that engine but it's much easier to see all the possibilities. Google Flights (from what I read) can provide a link to DL's website so you can book there. DL's multi-city search function is not working (or is just plain dumb=non-functional in its latest iteration).

Since Google Flights couldn't give me what ITA gave me I just called to make the reservation and provided the flight info. I had a good agent so it was easy.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:03 pm

Funny. At least we say the same thing above.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
Sorry for the delay...not on FT daily anymore. BOS-SIN depart 9/3 return 9/6:

9/3 BOS-DTW-NRT dep BOS 710am
9/4 NRT-SIN arrive 1150p 9/4
9/6 SIN-NRT-DTW-BUF arrive 841p (overnight)
9/7 BUF-LGA-BOS

There were a couple of different options on the return with fewer connections (=fewer MQMs).

I was able to get this (and the other routings) to price via ITA Matrix but couldn't get Google Flights to figure it out so it was booked via phone without issue.
Now just the wait on the NRT/SIN/NRT segments to clear.
Nuts thats coming at $1200+ now. I seriously wish i had some GUCs to use. All my runs have been in the back ^_^
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:16 pm

Use ITA Matrix to search. You can book via that engine but it's much easier to see all the possibilities. Google Flights (from what I read) can provide a link to DL's website so you can book there. DL's multi-city search function is not working (or is just plain dumb=non-functional in its latest iteration).

Since Google Flights couldn't give me what ITA gave me I just called to make the reservation and provided the flight info. I had a good agent so it was easy.
I've never been too good with the routing codes on ITA :P
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:45 pm

Nuts thats coming at $1200+ now. I seriously wish i had some GUCs to use. All my runs have been in the back ^_^
Same dates are still showing $708 on ITA. Same dates/routing as above, or optional return via DTW-IND-BOS or DTW-CMH-BOS or DTW-LEX-LGA-BOS. Be aware some of these other routings include single-class CRJs (ick).
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:47 pm

I've never been too good with the routing codes on ITA :P
Easy...

Departing from BOS
Routing codes DTW NRT CL+

Destination SIN
Routing codes NRT DTW CL+

Departing/Destination/Routing cities as appropriate. So if I do a Thanksgiving run again this year I'll do SFO-SIN and routing codes JFK NRT CL+ etc.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:14 pm

Easy...

Departing from BOS
Routing codes DTW NRT CL+

Destination SIN
Routing codes NRT DTW CL+

Departing/Destination/Routing cities as appropriate. So if I do a Thanksgiving run again this year I'll do SFO-SIN and routing codes JFK NRT CL+ etc.
Is there any way to punch in this routing on the calendar so i can quickly see the rates for a turn all month? As of now i have to put in each date manually
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Csfing1
SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO 25,318 MQM

$967 ai 3.82 cpm Apr 20-23 Best Price
$1001 ai 3.95 cpm Oct 19-26, 26-29, Nov 2-5, 9-12, 23-26
$1014 ai 4.00 cpm Oct 5-8
$1062 ai 4.19 cpm Apr 6-9, 13-16,, May 11-14
$1081-1094 ai 4.27-4.32 cpm Sep 21-24, 28-Oct 1 Nov 16-19, 30-Dec 3
$1161 ai 4.59 cpm Sep 7-10

Happy Travels! Cheers! From ATL SC, off to NRT SIN DEL ATQ.
I can get $994 for same routing as above for the week of Thanksgiving with a one-night stay in Singapore. That's the same run I did last year. Spent 2 nights in SF on either end of the trip. Not sure if I can do this yet but as a "precaution" I booked an award ticket to/from SFO. At least that will give me a little flexibility.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Is there any way to punch in this routing on the calendar so i can quickly see the rates for a turn all month? As of now i have to put in each date manually
I would try google.com/flights with your multi city tab as that is where you can change the dates by clicking on calendar for whichever ones you want to change. Works very well and gives the prices quite rapidly but it will be for all airlines including delta. Try it and see if that gives the info you want.
Have arrived in ATQ.

[B][/Happy Travels! Cheers! B]
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Csfing1
I would try google.com/flights with your multi city tab as that is where you can change the dates by clicking on calendar for whichever ones you want to change. Works very well and gives the prices quite rapidly but it will be for all airlines including delta. Try it and see if that gives the info you want.
Have arrived in ATQ.

[B][/Happy Travels! Cheers! B]
Thats what ive been doing so far. Just a tad time consuming to adjust it constantly and go through every day of the month to see what i get. Was hoping there was a way to use routing codes with ITA to somehow get a month long overview showing costs for every single day. Either way, still havent booked one as ive hit a few huge roadbumps that have me still a long ways behind in my MQD waiver spend on amex. no point in 125k+ MQM if im still a nobody thanks to MQD!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Which MR are you speaking about? The SFO SIN and LAX SIN MR are done with Google.com/flights ans once you select your dates it transfers you to delta.com and you finish your booking there.

If you are still having problems read the last few pages of this thread and that should help. If problems still persist let me know.

Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Thats what ive been doing so far. Just a tad time consuming to adjust it constantly and go through every day of the month to see what i get. Was hoping there was a way to use routing codes with ITA to somehow get a month long overview showing costs for every single day. Either way, still havent booked one as ive hit a few huge roadbumps that have me still a long ways behind in my MQD waiver spend on amex. no point in 125k+ MQM if im still a nobody thanks to MQD!
Go for the AMX $25,000 spend which gives a waiver for the MQD. This what I do every year and it will also give you another 10,000 MQM. Little bit harder if you need $50,000 spend for 2 but charge everything you can on AMX, cell phone, cable, utilities, insurance, gas, groceries, eating out, shopping, gift cards, if necessary read about manufactured spending. Must pay off card each month. Had a choice between spending $800 for an economy ticket to PTY and getting about 8,000 MQM or using 60,000 RDM for J. Will spend RDM and use $ for MR to SIN where I can easily pick up 25,000 MQM for about $1000 if you pick the right time.

On another important topic and my reason for being in India. I am having an awesome experience in Jalindhar, Punjab near ATQ observing a very skilled ophthalmologist, eye surgeon, Dr Jacob Prabhakar, do extra capsular cataract surgery. God has blessed him wth skill, judgement and dexterity. He can do the surgery very fast, easily averaging 1 surgery every two minutes including inserting an introcular lens. Saw one surgery today which took only 80 seconds. The most he has done in one day is 465 cases and that week he did a total of 2400 surgeries averaging 400 cases daily for the 6 days he did surgery, Sun to Fri. He has done over 100,000 cataract surgeries already. It is a privilege to observe such economy of movement and motion by him and his staff. It is difficult to understand how skilled and gifted he is unless you have ever done eye surgery. He gets excellent results. India has 15 million blind people and 12 million are blind from cataracts if only there were enough ophthalmologists and teams skilled and willing to do the surgery. If anyone is willing to help this project as they do not charge for their services, contact It Is Wrtten, Eyes for India at ItIsWritten.com. You will get a tax deductible receipt for your donation. $75 covers all the costs for one surgery which includes bringing the patients to the Ruby Nelson Memorial Hospital, Jalindhar, Punjab, India, the surgery and giving them a place to sleep for two nights and their food or going to an eye camp in their area and doing the surgery. A great investment in helping some of the needy people of the world.

Happy Travels! Give someone the gift of sight! Cheers! . ^
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Fares for LAX DEP on Mar 24

Lax dep LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX 25,096

$940 ai 3.75 cpm Nov 2-5, 9-12, 23-26 Best fare!
$945 ai 3.76 cpm Oct 26-29
$966 ai 3.84 cpm Oct 5-8

Other dates higher!

Happy Travels! Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.