Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jtz
After reading some posts here I am definitely thinking of buying an inflatable flamingo or something to enjoy the water a bit more, guessing it's ok ?
We will be bringing three or four inflatables (there is only two of us - adults) when we head to the WA Maldives in a few weeks time - I am confident our private pool has plenty of room for all of them. We have brought inflatables to past beach/resort type holidays. Our large swan has been a massive attention-seeker when it is out on the water.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I haven't had time to properly read the past few pages but my takeaway from it is that I need to invest in a 6ft inflatable unicorn and some Speedos if I want to fit in?

Off to Amazon I go.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I haven't had time to properly read the past few pages but my takeaway from it is that I need to invest in a 6ft inflatable unicorn and some Speedos if I want to fit in?

Off to Amazon I go.
And go in December 2019 just to make sure Maldives Freak shares the experience with you
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Can you imagine if everyone.....no, even only half the guests, took one and put it in the sea or in their OWV pools? Rangali would soon become a place worse than when The Horde invaded. You know, like those British summer camps at the beach. And that's saying something. It's just like drones. Can you imagine if half the guests had one? Insect swarm anyone? A plague. If everyone 'contributes' (to the peace and quiet) by leaving them at home, the place will remain the paradise it's supposed to be. Future Horde invasions aside, that is!

BTW, here's the start of the conversation: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30009401-post1169.html
Jeez, it's almost a year ago. How time flies. Oh and yeah, I couldn't resist reposting this (courtesy of @lhrhappy)
Wow, what a blast from the past. I haven't been following this thread since my last trip.

Troubling to read about service problems resulting from the WA opening.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Re: inflatables. You didn't see the conversation a few months ago about them, I suppose?
Somebody read the conversation

I saw a golf cart go by at tea time and had to track it down after

Last edited by sam_goh; Jun 14, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by jtz
Signed up for swimming lessons starting next week, hoping I can at least swim a bit near my WV, have taken lessons previously and I didn't get far (fear of floating by myself), ashamed to say, but Rangali is definitely going to give me the push I need!
So let me tell you a story about a friend of mine. This friend can swim pretty well, has snorkeled off his water villa, dived the house reef, no worries everything is good swimming wise. One day, maybe after the entire bottle of wine, and having a really private villa like 339, and having some fun time in the hot tub, decided that it would be a great idea that clothing optional hot tub time might be also clothing optional swimming time.

Sneaking slowly down the steps and glancing back at the other water villas he quickly jumps in... and the current takes him. Standing up with no flippers or shoes = ouch coral! Swimming doggy paddle and he's in real danger of getting swept into the channel birthday suit and all. His strongest stroke is the backstroke, but after 15 seconds he realizes that the PG rated show is now a R rated one. So a frantic freestyle nearly a solid minute what a workout to finally make it back to the steps with spouse laughing all the way.

To the people in 338 that might have witnessed this, my friend apologizes :/

Last edited by sam_goh; Jun 14, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:30 am

Novice question, ahead of a three-day visit en route to Sri Lanka.

Tipping in USD appropriate? I can't say I have any other reason for local currency other than tips. Unless there's some strange airport tax that's collected last minute (like Bali used to have).

Thanks in advance - Jamie
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Novice question, ahead of a three-day visit en route to Sri Lanka.

Tipping in USD appropriate? I can't say I have any other reason for local currency other than tips. Unless there's some strange airport tax that's collected last minute (like Bali used to have).

Thanks in advance - Jamie
USD is perfect for tipping.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

OMG Sam!! Mortified for you(r friend)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jtz
Signed up for swimming lessons starting next week, hoping I can at least swim a bit near my WV, have taken lessons previously and I didn't get far (fear of floating by myself), ashamed to say, but Rangali is definitely going to give me the push I need!
I am not posting this link to frighten people, but to inform. The waters in the Maldives may seem calm and beautiful, but proper caution should be taken.

TD
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...safe-swimming/
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:06 pm

Sorry to say but that's old news and already posted a few months back.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:19 pm

I asked about bringing reusable water bottles before but if you don’t bring one, what type of water bottles / cups / glasses do they give you in the room? I can’t remember at all what we’d bring in our beach bag if going to the beach for a few hours ... I’m pretty sure we did bring water with us - do they have plastic water bottles in the room?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:06 pm

Sorry to say but that's old news and already posted a few months back.
Actually posted by me....

Just thought the OP/new swimmer jtz might have missed it.

TD
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
And go in December 2019 just to make sure Maldives Freak shares the experience with you
I'll bring my long range blowdarts.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.